X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by nic
    If you managed to get to level 100, you have most of what you need.

You will need: ...

+ 10+ (*Heal* and/ or Life)
    + 10+ Healing potions

Good luck!
    Don't know that you actually need so many heals. It depends. See this related thread... http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8038
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• robbiodobbio
      Adept
      • Feb 2013

I've just found Augmented Chainmail of Elvenkind that gives me high AC and res acid, fire, frost, dark, lightening +1 stealth but I've also got a robe of permanence that gives less AC same resists except sound not dark and sustains stats and lifeforce.

Which one should I be wearing? Keep getting life force drained by ghosts and vampire bats and don't seem to be finding many life levels potions.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
        Adept
        • Feb 2013

Maybe carry robe of perm and swap it in when fighting vampires/drainers?

Also just got Theoden's axe, grants telepathy! But doesn't do anywhere near as much damage as Careth, think I'll carry theoden for exploring then swap in Careth when fighting anything tough.

I assume Theoden will do more damage once I get STR and DEX up a bit.

Comment

• Estie
          Veteran
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by robbiodobbio
          Maybe carry robe of perm and swap it in when fighting vampires/drainers?

Also just got Theoden's axe, grants telepathy! But doesn't do anywhere near as much damage as Careth, think I'll carry theoden for exploring then swap in Careth when fighting anything tough.

I assume Theoden will do more damage once I get STR and DEX up a bit.
          Robe. I would use the elven mail if it had poison or maybe disenchantment resistance; otherwise, I prefer the sustains.

Having a weapon with ESP is always a mixed blessing. Sooner or later, youll end up swapping weapons a lot.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
            Adept
            • Feb 2013

RIP Gimboid.

Osse (offscreen) breathes nether. You die.

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Brings back old memories: Azriel breathes nether.You die.

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                Brings back old memories: Azriel breathes nether.You die.
                Yep, that's a classic. Gotta be careful when you're near the edge of the screen! If you aren't already, I strongly suggest making the main game window as large as possible.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2013

I knew exactly where he was, I was all ready to TO him but he breathed first, he was sitting in a vault with an "8" treasure feeling, I just got greedy, should have left well alone.

Comment

• Scraper
                    Apprentice
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by robbiodobbio
                    I knew exactly where he was, I was all ready to TO him but he breathed first, he was sitting in a vault with an "8" treasure feeling, I just got greedy, should have left well alone.
                    If you know where the baddies are and they are awake, you can do trick shots with the target command to get rid of them while they are still out of LOS. My current game is a mage and with very low health, I often need to cast real monsters first and then I can easily trick shot them away.

Not sure if this is considered cheating, but I do the same with hounds. They won't come into a corridor if you are in it but you can blast away with AOE and they just get smashed.

Last game was a warrior and very different tactics

Comment

• luneya
                      Swordsman
                      • Aug 2015

LOS shenanigans aren't cheating. They're cheap as hell, but that's how the game is played. Especially as a mage, whose only real combat advantage is the ability to launch powerful spells from ranges where the enemy can't see or hit the player. If we ever decide to change the targeting and LOS systems to a fully symmetric formula, mages and priests will need some significant boosts to remain playable.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                        Prophet
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by luneya
                        If we ever decide to change the targeting and LOS systems to a fully symmetric formula, mages and priests will need some significant boosts to remain playable.
                        I don't know whether symmetric LOS belongs in V, but LOS abuse feels terribly cheesy to me, so I prefer to play with symmetric LOS. I have nearly symmetric projection [there are technicalities to prevent certain trick shots]. Eventually Pete and I will release something where you can try it out.

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by luneya
                          LOS shenanigans aren't cheating. They're cheap as hell, but that's how the game is played. Especially as a mage, whose only real combat advantage is the ability to launch powerful spells from ranges where the enemy can't see or hit the player. If we ever decide to change the targeting and LOS systems to a fully symmetric formula, mages and priests will need some significant boosts to remain playable.
                          My grounding assumption with regards to exploits is that if you close an exploit, players will find some other mechanic to abuse instead. So there's not inherently any problem with closing exploits.

Of course you need to test the resulting game, and if it turns out that the exploit actually is necessary for creating interesting and fun gameplay, then you roll the change back. But I would much rather test and see than just assume.

Also, asymmetric LOS is confusing and weird. For that reason alone it should be fixed.

Comment

• Scraper
                            Apprentice
                            • Mar 2011

My thoughts are that sure, it's a bit cheesy, but really no more than the "hockey stick" mechanic, which is not just tolerated, but rather lauded by the community at large.

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Scraper
                              My thoughts are that sure, it's a bit cheesy, but really no more than the "hockey stick" mechanic, which is not just tolerated, but rather lauded by the community at large.
                              The hockey stick is in fact the most obvious bizarre side effect of asymmetric LOS, and I don't think people laud it, they just recommend watching out for it because it's weird and nonintuitive. Do some players abuse it? Sure. But it's by no means a core part of most players' strategies.

Comment

• Sky
                                Veteran
                                • Oct 2016

the what stick?
                                "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘