X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thapper
    Adept
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Avenger
    Out of curiosity, why would anyone turn no_selling on, anyway? Is it to increase the challenge of the game, like the ironman settings? I've been thinking about this one all day while I was at work, after posting my initial shock at discovering the change this morning, and all I could come up with as a possible reason for this is that maybe people only want to bring up stuff they use, perhaps to save weight or something?
    You will find a lot more gold if you have no_selling on. I don't remember the factor that the gold drops are increased but in principle it should out weight that you don't earn anything from selling. The option is meant to keep you more focused on advancing in the dungeon than hoarding things to haul back to town to sell.

A lot of people really like this option and say that if you try it out you will never want to sell again. I like selling so I've never tried it out myself.

Comment

• Avenger
      Apprentice
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by thapper
      You will find a lot more gold if you have no_selling on. I don't remember the factor that the gold drops are increased but in principle it should out weight that you don't earn anything from selling. The option is meant to keep you more focused on advancing in the dungeon than hoarding things to haul back to town to sell.

A lot of people really like this option and say that if you try it out you will never want to sell again. I like selling so I've never tried it out myself.
      Ah, so there's an exchange present in the option. I was not aware of that - that does make more sense.

Originally posted by Derakon
      Given that, the reason to play with no-selling is so you can focus on items that have utility rather than items that sell for a lot of money; the two often have very little to do with each other (since utility to the player is dependent on many factors).

Part of the problem with making no-selling the default is that there's so little room to explain each option on the options screen, and the description sounds like it is strictly a limitation.
      Indeed, it did sound that way to me, which is why I was rather baffled. I only made one brief dive so didn't really notice additional gold - I just got to town with stuff to sell and no one would buy it, which was rather off-putting, lol.
      C(6.3) C Erirbag [Half-Ogre Cultist] L:39 DL:Collector's Cave 2 A+ R+ Sp w:The Long Sword of Karakal (2d5) (+9, +12) (+2)
      C(TN/Do) W H- D-- c-- f PV s- d+ P++ M?
      C S++ I+ So B- ac- GHB- SQ RQ V+ F:TomeNET Game Progression

Comment

• getter77
        Adept
        • Dec 2009

Congrats on making this giant release---I am confident that the game shall improve even more in the times to come building upon this.

Comment

• Avenger
          Apprentice
          • Dec 2013

Hohoho, what's the base depth on =Speed in 3.5? I just found one at 950' o.O

Can't post the file yet because the ladder can't tell the difference between a 3.4.1 dump and a 3.5.0 dump, but once I get to level 31 or so it'll be up.

My priest must have the RNG for his patron deity this game...
          C(6.3) C Erirbag [Half-Ogre Cultist] L:39 DL:Collector's Cave 2 A+ R+ Sp w:The Long Sword of Karakal (2d5) (+9, +12) (+2)

Comment

• fizzix
            Prophet
            • Aug 2009

Hohoho, what's the base depth on =Speed in 3.5? I just found one at 950' o.O

Can't post the file yet because the ladder can't tell the difference between a 3.4.1 dump and a 3.5.0 dump, but once I get to level 31 or so it'll be up.

My priest must have the RNG for his patron deity this game...
            Still dlevel 80 (4000') i think. Rspeed is rare, but i'm guessing you didn't get a super high die roll on it.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
              Prophet
              • Apr 2008

First game I start has a "superb treasures" feeling on 50ft. Let's see what it will be...
              PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                Prophet
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                First game I start has a "superb treasures" feeling on 50ft. Let's see what it will be...
                ROFL... potion of experience at 50ft and after a few seconds the character is already level 30
                Good that I didn't read the two scrolls I found on the level... because one was deep descent
                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Avenger
                  Apprentice
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by fizzix
                  Still dlevel 80 (4000') i think. Rspeed is rare, but i'm guessing you didn't get a super high die roll on it.
                  Nothing legendary, but good enough to wear... +7 was worth stocking in my MAng store, and it's certainly good enough for a mid 20's character.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2007

Nothing legendary, but good enough to wear... +7 was worth stocking in my MAng store, and it's certainly good enough for a mid 20's character.
                    At that level +7 is pretty badass.

Comment

• getter77
                      Adept
                      • Dec 2009

Don't forget to post the update to the Roguebasin to get counted well and true by folks that might otherwise miss it---plus with any luck 2014 will see lots more progress and be able to do some damage on the ASCII Dreams 2014 Roguelike poll.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by getter77
                        Don't forget to post the update to the Roguebasin to get counted well and true by folks that might otherwise miss it---plus with any luck 2014 will see lots more progress and be able to do some damage on the ASCII Dreams 2014 Roguelike poll.

http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopme...itle=Main_Page
                        I currently can't log in to roguebasin - the login page times out. Also, I can't find where to report issues with the login page...
                        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• fizzix
                          Prophet
                          • Aug 2009

Yeah, I also tried to update roguebasin and failed.

Comment

• klassik
                            Apprentice
                            • Sep 2013

[QUOTE=takkaria;88139]Dear comrades,

Festive greetings! I write to you today to announce to release of the fabled version "3.5" of Angband. Many of you have sampled its delights before its official unveiling, so the release itself may not be cause for much rejoicing - but is good to finally kick it out of the door and onto the urchin-infested streets.

Instead, this marks the passing of this great and glorious game to its new maintainer, Comrade Nick, who I have sworn in privately and whose skills and vision I entirely and unreservedly commend to you. I'd like to thank all the people who I've worked with over the last several years maintaining Angband, whether submitting small patches, reporting bugs or doing thorough reworks of the code. I would not have lasted this long without so many other people contributing! It really is a team effort. Long live Angband.

If you've been playing the pre-release nightlies, I'd still recommend you get the final version - there have been quite a few bugs fixed in the past few days, and who knows what new things await you in the depths...

You can get it on rephial.org here.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*downloads v3.5.0*

thanks takkaria.
                            He did the mash.
                            He did the morgoth mash.
                            The morgoth mash.
                            It was an angband smash.

Comment

• getter77
                              Adept
                              • Dec 2009

I have kicked up a mild racket on RogueTemple---usually doing such rouses folks to fix whatever has went awry on the Basin...let's just hope the Holiday period doesn't interfere.

Comment

• dos350
                                Knight
                                • Sep 2010

great work all,

ggggg thanks much~~~~~~~~~
                                ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

Working...
                                😀