X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
    The beauty about open source projects, is that anyone that doesn't like how something works is free to change it themselves. It just takes some effort on their part.
    Indeed. In fact, Angband has always been a community-owned game, with new maintainers typically emerging by having modified the game, and then being recognised as maintainer after the fact. Maybe, eMeM, this could be you! All you need to do is to change the game to play the way you think it should be played, then release it. If it becomes more popular than the current official version, it will probably be acclaimed as Angband. And if not, you will still have a version of the game which you are happy playing. Which was the point here, right?
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Philip
      Knight
      • Jul 2009

You're not going to convince people, and we're not going to convince you. You think finding useless stuff that can only be sold is fun, I think finding useless stuff that can only be sold irritating. It's fine. It's only an option. You can change it. I don't think it will ever stop being an option. Let's just stop wasting each others time over things that take seconds to change.

Comment

• takkaria
        Veteran
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Philip
        You're not going to convince people, and we're not going to convince you. You think finding useless stuff that can only be sold is fun, I think finding useless stuff that can only be sold irritating. It's fine. It's only an option. You can change it. I don't think it will ever stop being an option.
        I can confirm I have no plans to remove it as an option.
        takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
          So we're going to have another pointless flamewar thread about options? So soon after the last one?
          May the fleas of a 1000 orcs molest this thread.
          You are on something strange

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Originally posted by scud
            Do other randartists *really* prefer to use the same randarts, game after game? To me it seems almost perverse to choose Exciting New Artefacts, then choose to re-use those Exciting New Artefacts for subsequent games.
            I suspect that's an oversight. Keep_randarts should default to No.
            "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• emulord
              Adept
              • Oct 2009

I think that nosell should default to off because it breaks immersion and is nonobvious for newbies. Vendor-trash is a standard RPG trope.

Comment

• eMeM
                Apprentice
                • Oct 2012

I never had any hope that it will change anything. Still I reserve to myself right to voice my dissapointment with some changes in my favorite rogulike game. That's not the first time I'm not happy with devteam vision of Angband (no console version for most popular operating system, smaller max stack but still no weight limit, less items in home). Maybe they should concentrate more on their own game, Pyrel and leave Angband until someone else will take over. I fear fizzix patches like no nexus stat swap will soon end up in the game because it's annoying to the most players.

Back to topic, there was no discussion at all how to avoid this "optimal" sell playing mistake in different way without making Angband a worse game. First on person makes a joke with stupid patch with 4x gold drops and then others say it's cool and next it's little tweaked down but still giving too much money and that joke patch is now default for all new players.
                Last edited by eMeM; August 19, 2013, 16:31.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by emulord
                  I think that nosell should default to off because it breaks immersion and is nonobvious for newbies. Vendor-trash is a standard RPG trope.
                  You mean that no sell should be default? Or the opposite. Because for me no selling feels natural, I don't walk to store right now with bunch of things to sell to buy stuff, I walk there with money.

Maybe you could add a pawn shop in the town. You know, something that keeps items you give there against money payment for few rotations, and then sells them for much higher price. Maybe change BM to that. Occasionally you could make some great finds there. Maybe re-introduce discounts too (I really loved when there were something extraordinary {90% off}).

Trick is that with Pawn store you could have few rotations time to buy that stuff you just pawned back.

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by eMeM
                    Maybe they should concentrate more on their own game, Pyrel and leave Angband until someone else will take over.
                    Did you miss the part where people openly invited you to take over, since you feel so strongly about how the game should work? Branch off from whatever point you like, make some changes, and put your version of the game out there. If people like it, then congratulations, you're in charge of Angband.

Nobody is forcing you to play the latest version of the game. Every version of Angband is valid -- we do the occasional frog-knows competition, for Zark's sake! Demanding that someone not make a new version seems perverse. Just don't play the new version!

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
                      Veteran
                      • Sep 2010

There's a halfway option between no-selling and selling: being able to only sell expensive items, the exact value depending on your power level. In Halls of Mist, rogues (only) can sell expensive items. It works pretty well. The thrill of finding an expensive item remains, while the boredom of having to drag everything back to town is gone.

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                      Maybe re-introduce discounts too (I really loved when there were something extraordinary {90% off}).
                      I agree, I love discounts in my variant.

Comment

• eMeM
                        Apprentice
                        • Oct 2012

Leaving Angband unmaintained for some time until someone wants to take over wouldn't be a bad thing especially considering your involvement in doing another roguelike game. You're not focused on improving Angband anymore. You don't have clear vision of the game future. You put random changes in new versions. Paired uniques, maia instead of angels, UTF letters. Sometimes no one even knows why something is changed like number of slots in home. You put your time to make ugly cavern levels which makes dungeon doesn't look like Angband at all. Angband needs to become harder, it's trivial to win the game now. Monster AI, complete rework of spell books, extending your idea of fuzzy detection etc.

You don't like Angband and started started new game, Pyrel. And don't tell me Pyrel is going to be Angband 4.0.

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

How are you harmed by someone else's work? Play the version you like. Your complaints at this point sound like you're upset that someone took another photograph of say, the Beatles' iconic Abbey Road shot (which FYI happens all the time). Your favorite version is the original, and you somehow feel harmed that other people are placing their own spin on the idea. Go look at your photograph. Feel free to critique other peoples' efforts in a constructive fashion. Feel free to disagree with them. Stop telling them that they can't take photographs.

Also, Pyrel is orthogonal to this whole thing. Most of the devteam doesn't even work on it (I'm not on the devteam). My expectation is that once it is done it will take its place as just another variant, albeit one that is easier to modify than most. I highly doubt that the original Angband that traces its code back to 2.4 frog-knows is ever going to stop being worked on. It's been around for 20 years, now; why wouldn't we expect it to be around for 20 more?

Comment

• Antoine
                            Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
                            • Nov 2007

Is there a legitimate point being made that the gold multiplier in "no-sell" is too high? Or is that wrong?

A.
                            Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

It's certainly a possibility. I don't know what analysis went into selecting the current multiplier, but there's a number of ways that it could be subtly wrong and/or misinterpreted. No-sell players don't go to town as often, for example, which means that, all else being equal, they'll have more money because they have fewer opportunities to spend it.

Eventually, money becomes irrelevant, whether you play with selling on or off. Usually this happens some time after stat-gain is largely completed. At that point, no-sell players are likely to have their balances "take off" compared to selling players, for the same reason. They only ever return to town to stash/swap gear or replace consumables, which happens less and less as time goes on. Meanwhile, selling players will keep returning as long as they feel like they have a worthwhile pack of goods to unload -- I used to sell gear long after I had millions of AU in the bank! More frequent trips to town = more opportunities to buy stuff from the Black Market = lower money balance.

Comment

• nppangband
                                NPPAngband Maintainer
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by takkaria
                                I can confirm I have no plans to remove it as an option.

If this post were a c program it would have crashed right there.
                                NPPAngband current home page: http://nppangband.bitshepherd.net/
                                Source code repository:
                                https://github.com/nppangband/NPPAngband_QT
                                Downloads:
                                https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎