X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • perdaniel
    Scout
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
    I did give death molds tele-to spell also in my own variant.
    You are a sick, sick man

Comment

• fizzix
      Prophet
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by perdaniel
      You are a sick, sick man
      Honestly, I'd do it too, although I think I'd also cut their HP in half if I made this change.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
        Knight
        • May 2007

I hate ochre jelly's, their fast, and usually appear right when your starting to collect some decent gear. If you can't get away from them they melt aall your good stuff, wich reminds me, i hate water hounds too.

Comment

• buzzkill
          Prophet
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
          I hate ochre jelly's, their fast, and usually appear right when your starting to collect some decent gear. If you can't get away from them they melt all your good stuff, which reminds me, i hate water hounds too.
          I hate 'em too. It sends a chill down my spine just about ever time I see one. I know I'm going to have to fight it, and I know it's going to be costly. At least they're not very common.

My peeve is that jellies, other than the Ochre, are stationary. It wouldn't hurt anything thematically to rename/reclassify it, without otherwise altering it. My other peeve with them is since they appear before ID is plentiful, they often tear up pseudoed-only {good} gear, which doesn't get remembered or reflected in-game. This probably is a non-issue in V.
          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
          My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
            My peeve is that jellies, other than the Ochre, are stationary.
            Gelatinous Cube, Acidic Cytoplasms, Black Pudding and all Oozes move. In fact there are only one mobile jelly less than there are stationary ones.

Or are you referring just to name? Ochre Jelly is only creature with "jelly" in it's name that moves. Ochre Ooze?

Comment

• UglySquirrell
              Swordsman
              • Jul 2011

Village Idiots, there generated awake, move incredibly quickly, and chase you're character relentlessly. Been searching for a *Slay Idiot* weapon for years.

Comment

• NoSurrender
                Scout
                • Sep 2011

I'm surprised Smeagol doesn't get a mention for most annoying. He usually runs me out of potions of speed and ammunition, and I often am unable to finish him off.

But in a recent greater vault, I had annoying experiences with the following 3 monsters:

1) water vortex
                2) master quylthulg
                3) time hounds

I forgot that there was a water vortex in a certain corner. When it breathed, I lost 3 or 4 items of unknown value on the ground. Never a good thing in a vault.

The master quylthulg was positioned in the dead center of the rectangular diagonal vault. I should have probably teleported him away, but I've regretted doing that in the past with quylthulg, so I engaged him but he kept summoning greater demons. Finally, he blinked, and I thought he had left the vault (I didn't have enough mana for detect invisible), but no he moved to a corridor overlooking the best stuff and a bunch of stuff the greater demons had dropped. Then he summons demons and a bile demon ends up behind him (effectively blocked) in the corridor. The bile demon of course has line of sight on the wonderful deep stacks of loot. I ended up scavenging for a scroll of banishment and read it for 'Q'.

The vault had Carcharoth who was 29 levels out of depth. I had him down to ****, when he summoned hounds. Time hounds and aether hounds. I did eventually kill them all but the XP I got from Carcharoth was about 5% of what I lost from the time hounds.

The vault had great loot: 2 artifacts (Mundwine and Nimloth), 3 rings of speed (a 4th was dropped by Carcharoth), 2 Tenser's Transformations (which I didn't have before), an interesting Long Bow of Might (+10, +29), and a Cloak of the Magi that I still have to *ID*.

Comment

• buzzkill
                  Prophet
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                  Or are you referring just to name? Ochre Jelly is only creature with "jelly" in it's name that moves. Ochre Ooze?
                  This ^^... and in the DVG tileset, it shares an identical tile (different color) as the stationary jellies.
                  www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                  My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Max Stats
                    Swordsman
                    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by NoSurrender
                    I'm surprised Smeagol doesn't get a mention for most annoying. He usually runs me out of potions of speed and ammunition, and I often am unable to finish him off.
                    One small tip for Smeagol: If you have no gold and he attempts to steal from you, he will not blink away unless you protect your money pouch, in which case he still has a chance to do it. If you are a low-level character when you meet him, chances are you don't have a lot of money, so letting him steal a few times can work to your advantage (even better if you have a few novice rogues on the level to help out). Just be careful killing other monsters, who might drop gold and you could accidentally pick some up. I was unpleasantly surprised after first learning this trick to find that even if you have gold squelched, you still pick it up when you walk over it. I had hoped to protect myself from doing that.

Finding a few attack wands before your encounter also works wonders.
                    If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then why are beholders so freaking ugly?

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

Or just avoid him early on. He's not at all aggressive, so if you leave him be then he'll generally not trouble you much. Come back later when you can kill him with ranged attacks or in a few rounds of melee and he'll drop easily.

It's not like you're even missing out on the chance of an early good item, since his drop is so bad.

Comment

• Antoine
                        Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                        It's not like you're even missing out on the chance of an early good item, since his drop is so bad.
                        He hides all his best loot - you need to do a full body cavity search after you collar him

A.
                        Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• Antoine
                          Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Antoine
                          He hides all his best loot - you need to do a full body cavity search after you collar him
                          "They shan't get Smeagol's Precious, no they shan't!"

A.
                          Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• Starhawk
                            Adept
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Antoine

A.

It burns, it burns, take it out of us!

Comment

• dos350
                              Knight
                              • Sep 2010

alert, this topic is months old!
                              ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Starhawk