X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fendell Orcbane
    Swordsman
    • Apr 2010

Randarts...

I've been thinking about Randart games for awhile and I'm pretty ambivalent about them. On one had they would seem cool if you are getting bored with V. On the other had I sort of don't feel that they are fair, because how can you compare your character with other characters that are playing standard V? Granted this could be said for different versions as well.

So that is how I feel, but how do the rest of you feel on this matter?
    And having said all that I do know that its the player and not his magic items that win or lose the game. Hell I died with both Ringil and Feanor. How does that happen? But then again the very next game I found The One Ring: ) which in my opinion is pretty much the best thing that I've ever had.
  • Taha
    Adept
    • Jun 2009

Most randart games seem harder than normal artifact games. I like it for the variations that keep things interesting.

But the whole concepts of fair and comparable don't apply to this game anyway. Luck plays such a huge role; if you can find feanor and ringil in one game, how do you compare that to a game where you find no boots of speed until level 90? It's just about making do with what you find.
    ________
    BLCKPOIZEN
    Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011, 14:52.

Comment

• PowerDiver
      Prophet
      • Mar 2008

Your dumps are from 3.1.2v2, in which I believe randarts had an artificial extra rarity put on them. That may be why you find the games harder.

If you look at my most recent dump, I have base speed+40 and 3 immunities and a 6d6 slay evil weapon with all but rChaos covered. That's not atypical for randart games.

I think randart games are generally easier, but occasionally harder, than standart games, now that the extra rarity has been removed.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
        I've been thinking about Randart games for awhile and I'm pretty ambivalent about them. On one had they would seem cool if you are getting bored with V. On the other had I sort of don't feel that they are fair, because how can you compare your character with other characters that are playing standard V? Granted this could be said for different versions as well.
        And why is it necessary that you be able to compare your character with other characters? The only times we compete, we do so using the same savefile, and thus the same set of artifacts. Everything else is personal.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
          Swordsman
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Derakon
          And why is it necessary that you be able to compare your character with other characters? The only times we compete, we do so using the same savefile, and thus the same set of artifacts. Everything else is personal.
          Well there is a ladder and all. I do agree that it is a personal thing but on the other hand it is a way to judge how far you have come or how far you have to go in terms of playing skill.

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
            Well there is a ladder and all. I do agree that it is a personal thing but on the other hand it is a way to judge how far you have come or how far you have to go in terms of playing skill.
            I'm not willing to sacrifice randarts just so that a third-party website can compare characters more "fairly". Especially since everything in the game still comes down to the RNG by a massive degree.

That said, randarts should still be of comparable power to standarts. They should just be, yannow, random.

Comment

• ewert
              Knight
              • Jul 2009

Aside from weapons, I actually think standarts are maybe easier than randarts.

Now WEAPONS, that is where some sickening randart stuff happens.

PS. Pre-statgain +8 wis/speed boots for half-troll paladin with rDis. I thought I was gonna wear that forever. Then found +9wis/speed with rDis, mwahahaha (and some low stuff 1-2 on both too)

Comment

• Magnate
                Angband Devteam member
                • May 2007

Originally posted by ewert
                Aside from weapons, I actually think standarts are maybe easier than randarts.

Now WEAPONS, that is where some sickening randart stuff happens.

PS. Pre-statgain +8 wis/speed boots for half-troll paladin with rDis. I thought I was gonna wear that forever. Then found +9wis/speed with rDis, mwahahaha (and some low stuff 1-2 on both too)
                You found TWO pairs of boots with +8 or +9 WIS *and* speed, in the same game?? Weird.

Anyway, Derakon is right, the total power of a set of randarts should be within 3% of the total power of the standard artifact set, so feel free to compare as much as you like. Whether you're lucky enough to *find* that 6d6 Morgoth-killer or those +9 WIS/Speed boots is another matter ... but that's no different to comparing one game where you find Ringil at 1000' to another one where you don't ...
                "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• ewert
                  Knight
                  • Jul 2009

And the 2nd pair of +9 had also good +hit +dmg. =P For paladin. =P It was just too nutty.

Comment

• fizzix
                    Prophet
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Magnate
                    You found TWO pairs of boots with +8 or +9 WIS *and* speed, in the same game?? Weird.

Anyway, Derakon is right, the total power of a set of randarts should be within 3% of the total power of the standard artifact set, so feel free to compare as much as you like. Whether you're lucky enough to *find* that 6d6 Morgoth-killer or those +9 WIS/Speed boots is another matter ... but that's no different to comparing one game where you find Ringil at 1000' to another one where you don't ...
                    Here are the boots from my most recent game. There are also 2 with over +8 Wis and Speed:

The Pair of Leather Boots of Menya [2,+7]
                    -----------------------------------------
                    +8 wisdom, tunneling, speed.
                    Provides resistance to acid, cold.
                    Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
                    Prevents paralysis.

Min Level 27, Max Level 127, Generation chance 1, Power 214, 1.8 lbs

The Pair of Mithril Shod Boots of Amenor [8,+21]
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    +3 wisdom, constitution.
                    Provides immunity to acid.

When activated, it detects traps nearby.
                    Takes 49 to 54 turns to recharge.

Min Level 20, Max Level 124, Generation chance 78, Power 156, 3.2 lbs

The Pair of Leather Boots of Lothith (+4,+2) [2,+19]
                    ----------------------------------------------------
                    +13 speed.
                    Provides resistance to fire, confusion, nether.
                    Aggravates creatures nearby.

When aimed, it grants fire resistance for d20+20 turns and creates a fire ball of
                    damage 80.
                    Takes 90 to 110 turns to recharge.

Min Level 40, Max Level 127, Generation chance 1, Power 317, 2.0 lbs

The Pair of Leather Boots 'Gaere' [2,+18]
                    -----------------------------------------
                    +11 wisdom, speed.

Min Level 32, Max Level 127, Generation chance 4, Power 256, 2.0 lbs

The Pair of Steel Shod Boots of Uniel [7,+16]
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    +7 speed.
                    Sustains your life force.

Min Level 19, Max Level 122, Generation chance 82, Power 153, 6.0 lbs

The Pair of Leather Boots of Embangwar (+8,+0) [2,+21]
                    ------------------------------------------------------
                    +13 tunneling, speed.
                    Provides resistance to chaos.

Min Level 38, Max Level 127, Generation chance 1, Power 303, 2.0 lbs

dump here:

I was a priest, so the +11 wis/speed boots came in very handy.

edit: There was also a +10 speed / wis weapon, a +13 speed / strength weapon, a +11 speed / wis ring and a +10 speed amulet
                    Last edited by fizzix; September 1, 2010, 03:03.

Comment

• EpicMan
                      Swordsman
                      • Dec 2009

I prefer randarts to standarts because they are a logical extension of ego items. While the uber standards (Ringil, etc) are very rare and are special finds, moist artifacts are common enough you can plan on finding them (phial, whatever helm has the resist blindness, etc) almost every single game.

With Randarts, I have absolutely no idea what my endgame gear is going to look like, and I can't even depend on scumming for Thengel or whatever to fill in a hole in my gear. Instead of set items, randarts are super-ego items.

I'd also go for some randomized unique foes as well (maybe add some random flags to the orc uniques to give them some flavor, etc), but the consensus on that seems to be it's a variant thing.

Comment

• Magnate
                        Angband Devteam member
                        • May 2007

Blimey, that's rather too much speed on boots (every pair except one). I rather hope that set is an outlier.
                        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Taha
                          Adept
                          • Jun 2009

My last game the max artifact boots were a +10 speed, AC +40, nothing else. All the others were far lower speed, and generally pathetic. The game before that, +9 INT / +9 speed was pretty nice, but those were the only features on them - and while +9 int sounds great, they showed up deep enough so that I was already at max. That set is far, far better than any I have seen.
                          ________
                          Roll a joint
                          Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011, 14:52.

Comment

• fizzix
                            Prophet
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Magnate
                            Blimey, that's rather too much speed on boots (every pair except one). I rather hope that set is an outlier.
                            The power rating for +8 Wis, +8 speed seems a tad low, doesn't it?

Comment

• Magnate
                              Angband Devteam member
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
                              The power rating for +8 Wis, +8 speed seems a tad low, doesn't it?
                              What, the 214? That seems about right - don't forget how little WIS is worth to 4/6 of characters.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎