X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • backwardsEric
    Knight
    • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Aodhlin
    Is there a setting that will automatically roll a new new character for the borg if it dies?
    Turn off the borg's cheat death option (^z c d toggles that setting) and turn on the normal cheat death option (= x d toggles that setting). There's two settings in borg.txt that control how the new character is rerolled (borg_respawn_race and borg_respawn_class). By default, the borg does not automatically restart after winning; that can be changed through borg_respawn_winners in borg.txt. You can find more documentation about borg respawning in the "# Respawn" section of src/borg/borg.txt.

Comment

• Aodhlin
      Rookie
      • Jul 2024

Originally posted by backwardsEric

Turn off the borg's cheat death option (^z c d toggles that setting) and turn on the normal cheat death option (= x d toggles that setting). There's two settings in borg.txt that control how the new character is rerolled (borg_respawn_race and borg_respawn_class). By default, the borg does not automatically restart after winning; that can be changed through borg_respawn_winners in borg.txt. You can find more documentation about borg respawning in the "# Respawn" section of src/borg/borg.txt.
      Thanks, I'll try this!

Two notes --

1. When using the Borg command "respawn", nothing happens. If you activate the borg again, the game crashes.
      2. The attached borg is not diving, but isn't providing a reason. It says it's prepped for level 101.

Attached Files

Comment

• agoodman
        Adept
        • Jan 2011

Thanks, I'll try this!

Two notes --

1. When using the Borg command "respawn", nothing happens. If you activate the borg again, the game crashes.
        2. The attached borg is not diving, but isn't providing a reason. It says it's prepped for level 101.
        1) wow, yup, that command is completely broken. I think that needs a bunch of work to make sure that the game knows things got restarted.... probably a call to a modified set of:
        cleanup_angband();
        init_display();
        init_angband();
        if (reinit_hook != NULL) {
        (*reinit_hook)();
        }
        textui_init();
        if (mode == GAME_LOAD) {
        mode = GAME_NEW;
        }

like play_game() does.

2) ^z2 is giving me "Max Level: 88 Prep'd for: 81 Reason: Scumming *Heal* potions (10 to go)

Comment

• agoodman
          Adept
          • Jan 2011

In one of the more amusing borg moments I've seen lately, the borg says it does not want to dive because Father Christmas is Still Alive. Christmas in July maybe?
          Heh! Looks like in monster.txt Father Christmas is listed as "Seasonal". My guess is that if you turn on "borg_kills_uniques" that it doesn't check the "SEASONAL" flag when it should. It shouldn't matter a LOT since it is looking that there only be 3 alive uniques for any given depth so... this just clogs one spot to make it 2.

Comment

• Aodhlin
            Rookie
            • Jul 2024

Originally posted by agoodman

Heh! Looks like in monster.txt Father Christmas is listed as "Seasonal". My guess is that if you turn on "borg_kills_uniques" that it doesn't check the "SEASONAL" flag when it should. It shouldn't matter a LOT since it is looking that there only be 3 alive uniques for any given depth so... this just clogs one spot to make it 2.
            I don't think that's what going on. I don't have Borg Kills Uniques enabled, and yet it still refuses to dive further. See attached savegame and borg.txt

It also has plenty of *HEALING* potions.

I've noticed that the borg seems to let itself be burdened very easily. In this example, it would be much better off if it ditched the armor it was carrying around.
            Attached Files

Comment

• agoodman
              Adept
              • Jan 2011

I don't think that's what going on. I don't have Borg Kills Uniques enabled, and yet it still refuses to dive further. See attached savegame and borg.txt
              Just looked at the code... the "borg_kills_uniques" flag is used up till max depth hits 99. Once you are going after Morgoth, all uniques must be dead. If I change the code to not count seasonal (which is a change I will check in) I get Beorn... which is also wrong since he is dead and it is counting his bear shape. So, add that too and it moves on to.
              Max Level: 99 Prep'd for: 1 Reason: Baphomet the Minotaur Lord still alive!
              Also wrong... it shouldn't be doing that check at depth 1, only at depth 99+... So a few fixes here. If I fix that too I get
              Max Level: 99 Prep'd for: 9 Reason: 2 tele + teleport staffs
              which is more reasonable... he needs his teleports.

It also has plenty of *HEALING* potions.

I've noticed that the borg seems to let itself be burdened very easily. In this example, it would be much better off if it ditched the armor it was carrying around.

The burden thing... this is the delicate balance of power calculations. The borg thinks that is good swap armor to have around to cover his resists but perhaps should weigh the weight more highly. he is fast (+23) so he figures a little burden is no big deal... I would say to play with the power calcs in borg.txt to make it to your liking but weight calcs are still in the code. It was hard to translate them to dynamic.

Comment

• Aodhlin
                Rookie
                • Jul 2024

Tried running more with the latest nightly!

In this example, the Borg is at a bit of a loss. It should know that it can use Deep Descent to get out of this mess. I've seen this come up a few times.
                Attached Files

Comment

• agoodman
                  Adept
                  • Jan 2011

Tried running more with the latest nightly!

In this example, the Borg is at a bit of a loss. It should know that it can use Deep Descent to get out of this mess. I've seen this come up a few times.
                  Currently the borg doesn't know how to use Deep Descent. I think mostly it is too dangerous for a borg to use in almost any situation... except the one you are in now. I think a better "borg plan" would be to dig out the rubble and veins he can get to since it is really unlikely that he would have access to deep descent but maybe he should try just in case...

How did he get into this mess? I didn't think things could get closed off like this. I used wizard mode to map the area and, yep, he is good and stuck. Did something cause an earthquake?

Comment

• Aodhlin
                    Rookie
                    • Jul 2024

Currently the borg doesn't know how to use Deep Descent. I think mostly it is too dangerous for a borg to use in almost any situation... except the one you are in now. I think a better "borg plan" would be to dig out the rubble and veins he can get to since it is really unlikely that he would have access to deep descent but maybe he should try just in case...

How did he get into this mess? I didn't think things could get closed off like this. I used wizard mode to map the area and, yep, he is good and stuck. Did something cause an earthquake?
                    Here's another example of the same situation. I don't think it happens much, but once it does happen the borg gets stuck, and I have to rescue him.

Since I run it in the background, I don't see how it happened, just that it did.

Is there a way to easily get logs for when the borg either crashes Angband entirely, or unhooks?
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Aodhlin
                      Rookie
                      • Jul 2024

This borg is caught in a nasty loop trying to buy/sell things.

Attached Files

Comment

• agoodman
                        Adept
                        • Jan 2011

Here's another example of the same situation. I don't think it happens much, but once it does happen the borg gets stuck, and I have to rescue him.

Since I run it in the background, I don't see how it happened, just that it did.

Is there a way to easily get logs for when the borg either crashes Angband entirely, or unhooks?
                        I have checked in a fix to to this situation. I will post when it is merged in.
                        There are no real logs. I am not really sure how to make one or what I would put in it that the save doesn't give.

Comment

• agoodman
                          Adept
                          • Jan 2011

This borg is caught in a nasty loop trying to buy/sell things.
                          Hmm this looks like a place where he is optimizing his inventory. When he is in the store he wants to put the ring in the home, when he is not, he wants to junk it. I need to rewrite this section of the code. I just redid the optimizing equipment section so hopefully I can leverage some changes there.

Comment

• Aodhlin
                            Rookie
                            • Jul 2024

Hmm this looks like a place where he is optimizing his inventory. When he is in the store he wants to put the ring in the home, when he is not, he wants to junk it. I need to rewrite this section of the code. I just redid the optimizing equipment section so hopefully I can leverage some changes there.
                            Here's another example for this!

Attached Files

Comment

• agoodman
                              Adept
                              • Jan 2011

Here's another example for this!
                              I have code checked in that should help the buying and selling and swapping stuff issues... but it is big changes and risky. I will post when it is merged in.

Comment

• agoodman
                                Adept
                                • Jan 2011

Looks like the fixes for shopping are in the latest beta release. These changes should help the stuck borgs (closed off areas) and the late stage/high level slowness.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎