X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aodhlin
    Rookie
    • Jul 2024

Originally posted by agoodman
    Looks like the fixes for shopping are in the latest beta release. These changes should help the stuck borgs (closed off areas) and the late stage/high level slowness.
    I've been having issues with the forum, so I ended up opening a Github issue.

I'm still seeing problems with the borg after the latest update. Here's an example where it's trapped and can't figure out how to escape. PLAYER.zip I'm seeing other questionable behavior with this...

Comment

• agoodman
      Adept
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Aodhlin

https://github.com/angband/angband/issues/6011
      I have responded on that. Sorry, took me a bit. Chaos abounds

Comment

• agoodman
        Adept
        • Jan 2011

one of the things mentioned in the github issue is now in the nightly.

Comment

• agoodman
          Adept
          • Jan 2011

https://github.com/angband/angband/issues/6011
          Aodhlin I requested borg.txt and angband.ini for the crash you reported on that issue, in case you didn't see that. I can't seem to duplicate the crash.

Comment

• backwardsEric
            Knight
            • Aug 2019

With clang 15, there's a "set but unused" warning for glyphs in borg-fight-defend.c's borg_defend_aux_banishment_morgoth(). It wasn't clear to me if the the glyph counting there could be removed entirely, since line 3226 where the count is used is preprocessed out, or just preprocess out the declaration of glyphs and the loop that computes it.

Comment

• agoodman
              Adept
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by backwardsEric
              With clang 15, there's a "set but unused" warning for glyphs in borg-fight-defend.c's borg_defend_aux_banishment_morgoth(). It wasn't clear to me if the the glyph counting there could be removed entirely, since line 3226 where the count is used is preprocessed out, or just preprocess out the declaration of glyphs and the loop that computes it.
              Hmm, not code I am intimately familiar with. I will have to read it and figure out what it is doing. It looks to me like I should put back the #if 0'd out code but I want to make sure.

Just for clarity to everyone: This borg was written by Ben Harrison, who was maintainer at the time. As I recall, I took his borg (ages and ages ago) and modified it making "AdamBorg". Dr Andrew White (APW APWhite) took my borg and did a while bunch of modifications to it and became the borg maintainer for a long while making APWBorg. I came back when I noticed it had been removed from the base code because 4.x was out and it needed updating. As I result, I am really familiar with much of the code but there are vast areas I haven't had to touch and am reading for the first time when someone writes up bugs. Just saying so that people don't think "Adam wrote this, how does he not know?" ... lots written by smarter people than me

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by agoodman
                Just for clarity to everyone: This borg was written by Ben Harrison, who was maintainer at the time. As I recall, I took his borg (ages and ages ago) and modified it making "AdamBorg". Dr Andrew White (APW APWhite) took my borg and did a while bunch of modifications to it and became the borg maintainer for a long while making APWBorg. I came back when I noticed it had been removed from the base code because 4.x was out and it needed updating. As I result, I am really familiar with much of the code but there are vast areas I haven't had to touch and am reading for the first time when someone writes up bugs. Just saying so that people don't think "Adam wrote this, how does he not know?" ... lots written by smarter people than me
                Having only come to Angband in the early 2000s, I didn't know this history. Glad you're back
                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• agoodman
                  Adept
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by backwardsEric
                  Well, the code has been this way since before 3.4.0 (the earliest borg code I have). For now I am going to comment out that variable and all the code that uses it.

It seems to be limiting the use of banishment when you are building a sea of runes but it seems to me that that is just when banishment would come in handy... as long as you don't banish morgoth himself (and you can't, I don't think... at least you couldn't at one point, haven't checked recently) seems like "I am busy building my sea of runes, %^&* off" is just the right time to use the spell.
                  If someone gets a borg to fighting Morgoth again and thinks it is banishing wrong, LMK and I can adjust.

Comment

• Aodhlin
                    Rookie
                    • Jul 2024

It's tricky to catch it in the act, but it seems that if the borg dies while the Angband window is visible, it often causes a crash. I'll let you know if I can come up with steps to reproduce.

Comment

• agoodman
                      Adept
                      • Jan 2011

It's tricky to catch it in the act, but it seems that if the borg dies while the Angband window is visible, it often causes a crash. I'll let you know if I can come up with steps to reproduce.
                      I have had reports that the reincarnation (begin again as a new char) code rather than the resurrection (continue same character) sometimes crashes. I -think- I just have to remove a bunch of things I am setting but I haven't been able to duplicate it regularly.

NOTE1:
                      to do "reincarnation" have "borg_cheat_death=false" in borg.txt but set "cheat death" to true in the Angband flags.
                      to do "resurrection" have borg_cheat_death=true". The code will set the cheat death flag automatically.
                      to do neither have "borg_cheat_death=false" and don't set the cheat death flag.
                      if you compile as a screen saver the "cheat death" flag is set to true automatically.

NOTE2: I will be traveling between Aug 23 and Sept 9 without my computer. I will be able to check the forum on my phone but unable to do any coding... so borg fixes will be slightly delayed.

NOTE3: I just saw https://github.com/angband/angband/issues/6022 maybe that is the issue? I don't think so.... I think the borg has its own issue...

Comment

• agoodman
                        Adept
                        • Jan 2011

Trying to work on an issue with the borg preparing for Morgoth. One thing he wants is a pile of heals and *heals* and such. It's hard to have the free slots to get that when you are carrying swap items. I am thinking that when the borg is configured to use swap items he should stop doing so after depth 90. At that point he should be covering his weaknesses with his primary items and not counting on being able to swap in to cover his weaknesses.
                        I never play with swap items so, what do people who do think? Is this a reasonable change?

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎