What to do about "pushes past" messages?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magnate
    Angband Devteam member
    • May 2007

What to do about "pushes past" messages?

Looks like the messages about monsters with MOVE_BODY pushing past other monsters can get a bit tedious, especially with ESP.
    Leave them as is
    0%
    Get rid of them completely
    0%
    Have them for monsters in LOS but not those detected by ESP
    0%
    Have them as a game option
    0%

The poll is expired.

"Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

I voted remove completely, although I haven't played V with them yet - monsters push past in O/FA/NPP(?) all the time without saying anything.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
      I voted remove completely, although I haven't played V with them yet - monsters push past in O/FA/NPP(?) all the time without saying anything.
      I reckon it's quite helpful to be told when a monster has just pashed another one in my LOS - that could change my tactical situation in a way that I need to know about.
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Psi
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Similarly to Nick, I haven't played with the messages on, but I don't see any need for them. If a monster pushes past another in my LoS then I'll see it.

The only time I'd want them is for an off-screen monster in LoS - then I have some warning that something nasty is coming... but that is just a partial solution to a different problem altogether.

Comment

• buzzkill
          Prophet
          • May 2008

Off the top of my head, I'd go with messages only for enemies which are within 10' of you, or no messages at all, but I haven't played it yet.
          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
          My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Zikke
            Veteran
            • Jun 2008

I voted to get rid of it completely. I think visually seeing a monster swap places with another is enough heads up. These messages kinda spam the window and make resting, etc. take forever.
            A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
            A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
            C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Magnate
              Angband Devteam member
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Zikke
              I voted to get rid of it completely. I think visually seeing a monster swap places with another is enough heads up. These messages kinda spam the window and make resting, etc. take forever.
              If they were turned off for ESP detection, would that make a difference - or would you still rest with moving monsters in LOS??

Comment

• Zikke
                Veteran
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Magnate
                If they were turned off for ESP detection, would that make a difference - or would you still rest with moving monsters in LOS??
                Personally this feature has no value to me regardless of distance or LoS, but that's just my opinion.
                A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
                A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
                C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• PowerDiver
                  Prophet
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Zikke
                  If the monster is in LOS, you cannot rest anyway. I guess you could keep pressing 's' and then multiple messages as something fast in LOS pushes toward you would be annoying, but how often would you do that?

OTOH, I wouldn't care that much if the messages all went away, so long as the "trample" messages are kept, even for ESP. I want to know every time my best buddy Huan clears another monster from a vault.

Comment

• marteo
                    Rookie
                    • Jan 2009

I voted for having them when in LOS.
                    I'm not always attentive enough to see a single monster coming that would be nastier than the rest of the environing monsters.

Comment

• Taha
                      Adept
                      • Jun 2009

I say get rid of it or make it an option. It obviously needs to not happen on ESP detected monsters. But try standing at the edge of a dragon pit and see how tedious that gets even without ESP.

Trampling is rare enough that it is nice to know what has died.

I think there should also be an option to acknowledge all messages on a turn with one keystroke for those of us who have a message window open anyway. 9 "The orc misses" messages needing three escapes when running through an orc pit is just silly. But that isn't nearly as big a deal, and yes I know you won't add it as an option.
                      ________
                      Katherine4U live
                      Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011, 14:47.

Comment

• Magnate
                        Angband Devteam member
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by Taha
                        I say get rid of it or make it an option. It obviously needs to not happen on ESP detected monsters. But try standing at the edge of a dragon pit and see how tedious that gets even without ESP.

Trampling is rare enough that it is nice to know what has died.

I think there should also be an option to acknowledge all messages on a turn with one keystroke for those of us who have a message window open anyway. 9 "The orc misses" messages needing three escapes when running through an orc pit is just silly. But that isn't nearly as big a deal, and yes I know you won't add it as an option.
                        There already is - it's called auto_more.

Has anyone else had the thought that perhaps the monster behaviour is wrong? Orcs and dragons in pits shouldn't brawl - any monster with MOVE_BODY should only be able to move past a monster that DOESN'T have that flag. That would reduce these messages a lot ...

Comment

• saarn
                          Adept
                          • Apr 2009

I voted for line of sight, but I don't really want everything I can see. I only really want to know when a monster pushes past something such that my ability to hit/shoot it is changed.

Playing O a little I found it really annoying fighting a bunch of identical pack monsters where the lead monster would swap with another, healthy, monster after being whacked a few times. Because the monsters are identical, you don't see any motion, so it just looks like the thing you're hammering has magically healed . Not fun. Of course, if identical monsters cannot push past each other, this problem goes away.

Comment

• azfalt
                            Apprentice
                            • Jan 2009

Voted for message in LOS, not ESP.

I find it helpful to know when something big and nasty is plowing towards the front.

Currently I'm trying to play with auto-clearing -more- prompts to deal with the ESP issue, but I'm worried about missing important messages. Having a term window with past messages helps, though.

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Can we have some sort of a fix for this, even if it's just a quick one? Eddie thinks they make 3.1.1 too annoying for a competition - and posting a complaint here is much easier than changing the comp or arguing with Eddie
                              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎