• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sffp
    Swordsman
    • Apr 2020

No tel levels

Not sure I'm such a big fan.

Just got killed in one after I dropped down into a No-tel level in the middle of a pack of gravity hounds.

Then there are cases where there's a ridiculously hard pit of monsters between where you are and where the stairs are.
  • Grotug
    Veteran
    • Nov 2013

I encountered this level recently and didn't see any reason for me to participate on it so I Word of Recalled.
    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• sffp
      Swordsman
      • Apr 2020

Yeah - I've been playing in masochist mode
      So straight ironman rules, no going up at all with a fragile hobbit nec.

Comment

• Jay
        Adept
        • Dec 2011

I just came here to report this as a bug. So there are no tel levels on purpose now? I was frantically checking all my gear to make sure I wasn't wearing something cursed.

Is there some sort of in-game notification that I missed? Because it sucks to discover that you're on a no tel level when you're trying to teleport out of a bad situation.
        Oh you icky things, don't you know you're driving your mamas and papas insane…

Comment

• backwardsEric
          Knight
          • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Jay
          I just came here to report this as a bug. So there are no tel levels on purpose now? I was frantically checking all my gear to make sure I wasn't wearing something cursed.

Is there some sort of in-game notification that I missed?
          Gauntlet levels (cavern on one side with the up stairs, cavern on the other side with down stairs, and joined by a labyrinth in the middle) have the portions with the up stairs and labyrinth marked so player teleportation is forbidden. There's no notification in game for those levels, but I believe that has been suggested as a way to make them less of a surprise.

Comment

• Jay
            Adept
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by backwardsEric
            Gauntlet levels (cavern on one side with the up stairs, cavern on the other side with down stairs, and joined by a labyrinth in the middle) have the portions with the up stairs and labyrinth marked so player teleportation is forbidden. There's no notification in game for those levels, but I believe that has been suggested as a way to make them less of a surprise.
            That makes sense — I've come across one of those levels since my first post and had the same experience.

I can see where a level like that would be a significant hindrance to playing an ironman game. Maybe "include gauntlet levels y/n" could be a user setup option? Or dump them entirely.
            Oh you icky things, don't you know you're driving your mamas and papas insane…

Comment

• Thraalbee
              Knight
              • Sep 2010

I only do ironman except comps and don't mind the added difficulty from this. I was surprised the first time though and a warning of sorts would be ok but not required.

Comment

• wobbly
                Prophet
                • May 2012

I don't have a strong opinion on this, I'll just give 2 comments:

It's very unclear why teleport is failing, even after the fail message.
                It's hard to spot the difference between gauntlet levels and caverns.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

If you don't like gauntlet levels, you can just set the "alloc" value for them in dungeon_profile.txt to 0, then they will never appear.
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎