Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HallucinationMushroom
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Good deal... I was just happy to find a Patashu Secret Tech.
    You are on something strange

Comment

• Patashu
      Knight
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
      Should cursed weapons be disarm-able? I abused orc captain behavior to disarm a detestable vampiric short sword I chanced upon wearing. The scene I conjure up for this is humorous, like punching acid worms to remove gloves of weakness.
      This is a good Secret Tech
      My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• nryut
        Rookie
        • Aug 2012

How is "darken" damage supposed to work?

Currently there seems to be a discrepancy between what the combat rolls window shows and what damage the character actually takes.

For example, I had light radius 4 and fought a shadow mold. The combat rolls window would show "1/4 then" and net damage would be shown as divided by four, but the actual hp hit taken by the character was full on, without the decrease—four times greater than the combat rolls window showed!
        Last edited by nryut; September 19, 2012, 04:29.

Comment

• Psi
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Scatha
          I think Song somewhere in the high 30s would be enough to lull him back at least to unwariness in one go about half the time. It's a good rate of return with extra Song at that point, too: by the low-mid 40s he will very rarely be able to focus, and often nod off. I think Song 49 would be enough to stop him ever keeping his attention on you.
          That is a lot of song. Even if I find perfect kit, like Nimphelos, Maglor and that new Crown with +4, I am still going to have to invest 30ish points in song to get close to being safe. I wonder if I will have to throw in a distraction like mastery or cruel blow? Which begs the question, can a reeling monster become unwary/asleep?

Comment

• debo
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

I just did it with a debug-mode character. Singing Lorien, I assassinated a serpent -- it reeled and fell asleep all in the same turn.
            Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Psi
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by debo
              I just did it with a debug-mode character. Singing Lorien, I assassinated a serpent -- it reeled and fell asleep all in the same turn.
              Thanks - that might be the way to go then! With my low evasion and protection I am having some trouble with monsters who survive the first blow.

I must admit, it is very satisfying being chased and suddenly your pursuer just stops and you can stealthily stab them too death...

Comment

• debo
                Veteran
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Psi
                Thanks - that might be the way to go then! With my low evasion and protection I am having some trouble with monsters who survive the first blow.

I must admit, it is very satisfying being chased and suddenly your pursuer just stops and you can stealthily stab them too death...
                You might already know this, but if you're ever curious about how a particular scenario could work do:

ctrl-a

answer 'Gondolin'

At that point, you can:

ctrl-e to adjust stats/experience
                ctrl-j to jump to a particular floor
                ctrl-c to create basic stuff you need

(and a lot more)

I find this helps me work out if a certain strategy is going to be viable at depth X

Comment

• Psi
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by debo
                  I find this helps me work out if a certain strategy is going to be viable at depth X
                  Thanks! I haven't tried debug mode in Sil yet.

Comment

• debo
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Psi
                    Thanks! I haven't tried debug mode in Sil yet.
                    Like everything else in Sil, it's really well done I know a lot of it was inherited from NPPAngband, but I think some of the coolest stuff was added by half (noise-level display? So awesome.)

Comment

• half
                      Knight
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by nryut
                      How is "darken" damage supposed to work?

Currently there seems to be a discrepancy between what the combat rolls window shows and what damage the character actually takes.

For example, I had light radius 4 and fought a shadow mold. The combat rolls window would show "1/4 then" and net damage would be shown as divided by four, but the actual hp hit taken by the character was full on, without the decrease—four times greater than the combat rolls window showed!
                      Thanks for pointing this out. It is a bug, but only affects shadow molds. There is some confusion in the code over how spore damage is supposed to work. It always hits and never criticals, and ignores protection: pretty much like pure elemental damage from breaths, but it is done as a melee attack. This confusion has introduced a bug here as my changes to the elemental damage have interfered with this odd case. In the future it will be fixed, but also there are likely to be changes to how melee elemental damage work to make it more like pure damage.

Comment

• nryut
                        Rookie
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by half
                        only affects shadow molds
                        Doesn't it also affect Shadows' darkness touch? I didn't pay attention to the numbers at the time, but my encounters with Shadows are usually pretty brutal if I can't either escape or take them out from afar with archery. Especially if I happen to wear this amulet that would bring a Shadow onto you at, like, 200ft.

Comment

• half
                          Knight
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by nryut
                          Doesn't it also affect Shadows' darkness touch?
                          Touch attacks always ignore armour, but it doesn't do the other funny stuff (such as automatic hit, no criticals) that is causing the (display) problem with shadow molds. High evasion is a good way to deal with Shadows.

Comment

• Psi
                            Knight
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
                            When the game crashes when you hit +100 melee bonus please to let us all know! I'm assuming your going for song of slaying woven with sleep to eek out an assassination bonus cherry on top. If you're not, I'll lay off the vision herbs.
                            Yes, I'm going for Lorien to get the assassination bonus and hopefully keep V on -5 evasion as much as possible. I won't be weaving slaying with it though as I don't think there is anywhere near enough experience in the game to get song and stealth high enough to pull that off. I guess I will weave silence in.

A smith might be able to pull it off, but I'm finding them hard to build at the moment.

Comment

• clouded
                              Swordsman
                              • Jun 2012

I found a feanorian lamp of brightness, which didn't auto-ID after wielding it. Am I forgetting how stuff works or is this indeed a bug?

Comment

• half
                                Knight
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by clouded
                                I found a feanorian lamp of brightness, which didn't auto-ID after wielding it. Am I forgetting how stuff works or is this indeed a bug?
                                That's a bug. One I've already made a note of, but haven't yet fixed. It only seems to happen for Feanorian lamps as they already glow.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎