X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • debo
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Jungle_Boy
    There is already an artefact arrow in game, and it is quite good, it is not subject to breaking. I found it on one character who used to shoot a sleeping monster, sneak up, recover the arrow, back up and shoot the monster next to it. Was quite fun for a while til i got dead.
    Dailir is really good -- especially since Flaming Arrows doesn't destroy it.
    Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• debo
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

Here's a new one!

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• debo
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

This is one of my favorites so far Enjoy!

Comment

• clouded
          Swordsman
          • Jun 2012

With characters like this I usually just abandon levels when a grotesque notices me, unless I can get it stuck somewhere (quite easy to know when you have listen).

Watching this I realise that I abandon levels *much* more frequently than you do. My archers tend to get run off levels very often at certain depths (~350'-550'), as do my stealth chars (~550'/700'), with melee guys it's not as frequent but if the first encounter of a level is bad I often just generate a new level. This obviously has some risk to it with crumbly stairs and apparently a downside with regards to artefacts I hadn't really realised, so I'm not sure how good playing this actually is, though often it's a choice between stairs or run into the unknown so I feel I don't have a choice.

Comment

• debo
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Hmn. I'm more inclined to bail on a level when I'm not reliant on smithing, because IIRC using stairs has an effect on your min depth. (Maybe I've got this wrong.)

I used to flee levels more often when I first started playing the game. With different character types (stealth-melee), I'm still often forced to do it. Stealth archers control space well enough that, so far, I haven't had to do it as much.

The one thing that will force me off a bunch of levels at deep depths is getting trapped in dead-end chunks of the dungeon with a low-perception character. I just don't have the patience to scan walls and I'm too cheap to buy eye for detail.

It might be neat to have a "song of a lot of bloody noise" that would make monsters seek you out, thus opening doors between you and the rest of the dungeon

Comment

• WaveMotion
              Apprentice
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by debo
              It might be neat to have a "song of a lot of bloody noise" that would make monsters seek you out, thus opening doors between you and the rest of the dungeon
              I think that's what the Trumpet of Challenge is for.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by WaveMotion
                I think that's what the Trumpet of Challenge is for.
                Sounds like the current Trumpet of Warning should use some re-working.
                My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• debo
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

If you want to see me doing some really dumb things, this is a good one:

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

Hey, you promised dumb things! I must've missed them. I'm thoroughly confused by archery and stealth, but combined, I'm bewildered. It's interesting to see someone showing off how to do it. I haven't seen any videos in a few weeks so I just watched the first of the archery series, and then the last two. Nice glaive.
                    You are on something strange

Comment

• debo
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

Haha you missed the part where I brawled hand-to-hand with an Oathwraith for no good reason and lost like 10000 points of food?

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

Oh, is that what happened?! I saw you really struggling with that thing... I just figured you were getting tranced and missing with arrows. I didn't realize you were swinging away. Now, that *is* funny. I assume you have the vanish technique...? If so, I wonder if the darkness those spiders exude works against them, so that as soon as they are shot, they instantly lose track and forget about you? Just a shot in the dark on that... yuk yuk yuk.
                        You are on something strange

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

debo, you should try making videos of showing how far you can go without stealth.

Something tells me that I *really* should have made a video of my most recent character, Mr. 0512. This guy is a non-stealth pummeler that is quite strong, but has a *huge* amount of EXP to spend... > 17,000EXP!

Edit:
                          Link to Mr. 0512's char sheet for display:
                          Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; August 21, 2012, 20:42. Reason: Added link to Mr. 0512's char sheet
                          My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• debo
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                            debo, you should try making videos of showing how far you can go without stealth.

Something tells me that I *really* should have made a video of my most recent character, Mr. 0512. This guy is a non-stealth pummeler that is quite strong, but has a *huge* amount of EXP to spend... > 17,000EXP!

I tried in the protection/smithing build series -- I didn't get very far

I'm an awful player without stealth. I've killed endless trains of noisy characters , and I haven't gotten noticeably better at it!

Comment

• debo
                              Veteran
                              • Oct 2011

I'm a little late with this one. Sorry!

Comment

• clouded
                                Swordsman
                                • Jun 2012

Nice, I'm pretty sure that forge you found was in Gothmog's hall... Quite the stroke of luck to have that rubble block the doorway to all those nasty rauko and trolls.

Could you elaborate on the thing you said about Telvido being like Sauron? You seemed to lose your train of thought after finding the awwwwwwsickkk forge.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎