X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scatha
    Swordsman
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by debo
    I saw that too! One of the fun things about these videos is seeing how many mistakes I make without even realizing it. I think I got confused because =Accuracy and =Evasion don't cost experience (or do they?), so I assumed all the skill-boosting rings were the same
    Accuracy and Evasion are a bit of an anomaly in Smithing terms. Because they can show up via artistry on regular non-magical items (and indeed the game treats them differently, giving them their own brackets) it seems wrong to charge experience for them.

Comment

• debo
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

Next video is up!

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3s_kkDqqf8
      Last edited by debo; August 7, 2012, 13:43.
      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Scatha
        Swordsman
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by debo
        Next video is up!

http://youtu.be/Lr4nwmAOseA
        It says you've removed the video. Probably you know this, but just letting you know in case it was a misclick somewhere.

Comment

• debo
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Scatha
          It says you've removed the video. Probably you know this, but just letting you know in case it was a misclick somewhere.
          Thanks for the warning. I'm not sure what happened there... I've re-uploaded the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3s_kkDqqf8

Comment

• clouded
            Swordsman
            • Jun 2012

The red shield is the kite shield of Hador. It has fire and cold res, and with the (-1) it's pretty sweet. For perception skills are you thinking of getting concentration? I think it's better for archers than anyone else, I find it a bit hard to get consistant use out of it for melee dudes. For archers I actually like to get flaming arrows early on, you can find/forge a lot of arrows and they are really helpful for getting out of dangerous spots or against uniques.

Also, I love the barrow wight vaults too.
            Last edited by clouded; August 7, 2012, 17:45.

Comment

• Scatha
              Swordsman
              • Jan 2012

You mention that trolls aren't really a threat for any characters. Does everyone find this? (I see they have claimed a few scalps on the ladder, but not that many.) If so, what makes them particularly easy?

This isn't the intention, anyhow. For the next version we're deliberately trying to position them as an enemy which is slightly tough to fight but easy to evade or otherwise deal with -- they will have low Perception and Will. They are getting a bonus of 1 to melee across the board and deeper types are getting more health to help their combat abilities, but is more wanted in this direction?

Comment

• debo
                Veteran
                • Oct 2011

The only trolls I find truly scary are Troll Guards. The rest are just sort of 'meh'. I can generally run through a pack of them and only get hit once or twice, which is painful but not deadly (their damage dice aren't quite big enough for that, unlike giants.)

In certain situations (e.g. trying to fight 3 of them in a corridor with poor melee), their regen overcomes your damage output and THEN they're dangerous. But other monsters at those depths (Rauko, wargs, werewolves) are more terrifying, IMO, because it's harder to escape from them / hit them.

Comment

• clouded
                  Swordsman
                  • Jun 2012

Yes, I think it's that by the time you find them regularly you just have good enough defenses and offenses to handle them without huge trouble. I do have to run from mountain trolls sometimes with various characters, snow trolls a bit more often, and native depth troll guards have killed a number of my protection characters due to having really good damage output.

Their regen could perhaps be pushed a bit more, as debo says it's not really relevant when fighting 1v1 except if you have to run a bit to try and regen yourself.

Comment

• debo
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2011

Next video is up -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S4kUAMKGXc

This one is a doozy, clocking in at almost an hour!

FYI: You'll hear me question/think about things in this video that we've already addressed in this thread. This isn't because I'm ignoring the advice received here; it's because I tend to record these videos in batches. The video I just uploaded is ~1wk old, for example.

Enjoy!

Comment

• debo
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

And another

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Are these updates annoying/useless? Would you rather I just let you all subscribe to the channel on youtube if you so desire, and stop posting here?

Comment

• debo
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

We're getting to the mid/late game now:

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• clouded
                          Swordsman
                          • Jun 2012

Don't want to put a curse on it, but this character is looking like it could go all the way, certainly has enough stealth for it.

Did a little testing and yeah you're right, you basically can't do anything with an artefact bow, a shame. Though apparently you can make a single artefact arrow, which is quite funny. I wonder if there is some obscure use for that.

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
                            Swordsman
                            • Nov 2008

There is already an artefact arrow in game, and it is quite good, it is not subject to breaking. I found it on one character who used to shoot a sleeping monster, sneak up, recover the arrow, back up and shoot the monster next to it. Was quite fun for a while til i got dead.
                            My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• half
                              Knight
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by clouded
                              Did a little testing and yeah you're right, you basically can't do anything with an artefact bow, a shame. Though apparently you can make a single artefact arrow, which is quite funny. I wonder if there is some obscure use for that.
                              In Sil, we tried quite hard to avoid the bow slot being used as an extra ring slot, so bows never grant non-archery related things. I think you can still make some pretty interesting bows though (e.g. a light longbow with + damage sides that fires shining arrows, slays dragons and grants Rapid Fire).

Comment

• debo
                                Veteran
                                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by half
                                In Sil, we tried quite hard to avoid the bow slot being used as an extra ring slot, so bows never grant non-archery related things. I think you can still make some pretty interesting bows though (e.g. a light longbow with + damage sides that fires shining arrows, slays dragons and grants Rapid Fire).
                                Yup -- it's just not something that you would think of e.g. spending Smithing points through Masterpiece on, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎