Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ekolis
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Err, what? Why would lowering your CON improve the effectiveness of your armor? If your armor blocks 6 HP of damage, it's going to block 6 HP of damage whether you have 1 HP (in which case it would take a 7 damage hit to kill you in one shot) or 100 HP (in which case it would take a 106 damage hit to kill you in one shot)
    You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
    You are surrounded by a stasis field!
    The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• T-Mick
      Adept
      • Mar 2012

I didn't word that very well. If I were to wear armor that gave me 10-20 points of protection, and had less than 10 health, then an attack that did 10 or less damage would not affect me, correct?

So if I were to wear an absolute ton on protection, on a scale that may not actually be available, could I become invincible, by virtue of the fact that no attack can exceed the "minimum" amount of protection I have?

Comment

• Scatha
        Swordsman
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by T-Mick
        I didn't word that very well. If I were to wear armor that gave me 10-20 points of protection, and had less than 10 health, then an attack that did 10 or less damage would not affect me, correct?
        While that is, strictly speaking, true, it would remain true if you dropped the "had less than 10 health" assumption, so I'm not sure how the low Con enters into it.

So if I were to wear an absolute ton on protection, on a scale that may not actually be available, could I become invincible, by virtue of the fact that no attack can exceed the "minimum" amount of protection I have?
        Pretty much, yes. This is certainly not close to achievable in game: since there's a limited number of sources of protection (mail (2), shield, helm, gloves, boots, cloak, ring*2, Hardiness, Blocking, Heavy Armour Use, Song of Staying = 13, perhaps slightly more with the correct artefacts) your minimum can never keep up with high damage attacks. However you can boost your average pretty high such that you only very rarely take damage (some opponents will be more problematic), and this is meant to be one of the major defensive build options available. Note that a protection roll of e.g. 10-30 is not uniform across that range, but made up of lots of little individual dice, so the variance will not be so high.

Comment

• T-Mick
          Adept
          • Mar 2012

Alright, thanks a bunch. I'm not sure why I was thinking low Con would help. It made sense an hour or two ago.

Comment

• ggoDeye
            Rookie
            • Nov 2012

Just started playing this yesterday and think there is real promise here. Thank you Patashu for recommending this on the Brogue forums.

Ive read through all 20 pages of this thread but still have a couple of questions:
            How do I view previous messages? There's a "Recall" window but only recalls targeted monsters.
            Can I change what is displayed in the default windows?
            Are there any other forums or resources for this game? There are a lot of ladder dumps but pretty minimal discussion here.

Comment

• debo
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

Hey dude, welcome

There are quite a few threads if you search for 'Sil' on these forums that go into quite a bit of detail, but that's a lot of backstory to handle.

I'd highly recommend doing the tutorial, if you haven't already.

Windows/terminals can be assigned different functions in the = menu, display settings. I like to keep my messages window seperate and just below my play window.

I think if you hit 'enter' now (Sil 1.1), you should get a context menu that, among other things, allows you to go back in your message history.

Finally, if you're looking for more of an interactive tutorial, I had a bit of a video series going on for awhile that explains the game and plays through a few builds. I've been slacking on that for months now, but there's still a fair bit of material there.

Edit: Specifically, you might be most interested in the intro playlist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07f3r...1&feature=plcp
              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

Good, Debo got to this before me. The only thing I can add is that ctrl+p usually brings up recall messages in Angband and variants... I think it works for Sil as well.
                You are on something strange

Comment

• debo
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
                  Good, Debo got to this before me. The only thing I can add is that ctrl+p usually brings up recall messages in Angband and variants... I think it works for Sil as well.
                  Also, walk loudly and carry a big sword.
                  Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• ggoDeye
                    Rookie
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by debo
                    Hey dude, welcome

There are quite a few threads if you search for 'Sil' on these forums that go into quite a bit of detail, but that's a lot of backstory to handle.

I'd highly recommend doing the tutorial, if you haven't already.

Windows/terminals can be assigned different functions in the = menu, display settings. I like to keep my messages window seperate and just below my play window.

I think if you hit 'enter' now (Sil 1.1), you should get a context menu that, among other things, allows you to go back in your message history.

Finally, if you're looking for more of an interactive tutorial, I had a bit of a video series going on for awhile that explains the game and plays through a few builds. I've been slacking on that for months now, but there's still a fair bit of material there.

Edit: Specifically, you might be most interested in the intro playlist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07f3r...1&feature=plcp
                    Thank you for the detailed response and the YouTube videos in particular. I somehow just missed the line about previous messages in the menu. However, I still don't see anything for a display option for the windows. Is there a second menu? Pressing "=" just gives the "Type '?' for help." prompt. Under the main menu I see "options" but none of the sub menus allow for display prefs. I'm playing Sil 1.1.0 for Windows.

Also, any tips for green worms? I encounter them before I have any acid immune gear and they regenerate & reproduce faster than they can be killed by a character that has dumped everything into archery.

Comment

• Scatha
                      Swordsman
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ggoDeye
                      However, I still don't see anything for a display option for the windows. Is there a second menu? Pressing "=" just gives the "Type '?' for help." prompt. Under the main menu I see "options" but none of the sub menus allow for display prefs. I'm playing Sil 1.1.0 for Windows.
                      You can no longer change the contents of the windows, but you can change which subwindows are displayed, which amounts to the same thing. Window -> Visibility in the drop-down menu at the top.
                      Last edited by Scatha; November 27, 2012, 17:26.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

If you can't kill them fast enough try to contain them with closed doors. I've had a few instances where they ruined my game by blocking an essential staircase, but in most cases I can either kill them or get away from their spawn area to another section of the dungeon. It's toughest when there are only a scant few staircases in the early levels... once you hit 200 ft? or maybe a little deeper, 300 ft. surely, there ought to be more staircases so it's not so critical.
                        You are on something strange

Comment

• Psi
                          Knight
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ggoDeye
                          Also, any tips for green worms? I encounter them before I have any acid immune gear and they regenerate & reproduce faster than they can be killed by a character that has dumped everything into archery.
                          You need to either avoid/contain them (as HM suggests), be stealthy enough to not wake them up and/or dump some points in melee.

Comment

• Patashu
                            Knight
                            • Jan 2008

There's always the nudity approach - strip down and melee them to death.
                            My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• ds_creamer
                              Rookie
                              • Jan 2013

Upon downloading the latest version for Windows, I started experiencing a bug that makes normal play impossible.

Whenever I attack, even with animation delay set to 0(and "display a mark" set to false), there is a delay of about 200ms.

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know what might be happening, or how to fix it?

Strangely, this didn't happen in the old version *before*...but now that I've downloaded the new version, this is happening there, too.

I also had another problem, but not quite so devastating: the 10x20.fon font had display errors (again, on both versions, but only after installing 1.1.1).

By pressing the correct keys I was still able to start the game, where I saw this: http://i.imgur.com/WA1PR.png

After taking a few steps: http://i.imgur.com/ks7iS.png

I set the game to 12x20 and ignored this problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comment

• edbrannin
                                Rookie
                                • Jan 2013

[Bug Report] Misplaced combat text in manual

The following text appears in the Smithing section of the Sil 1.1.1 Manual:

To create an item, you need:
                                • to have the relevant Smithing Ability:
                                  • If you waited last turn (pressed ‘5’ / ‘z’) and any opponent who wasn’t adjacent to
                                    you moves into an adjacent position, you get a free attack on them.
                                The bold text seems like it belongs in the Combat section or similar, unless it's somehow specific to being at a Forge (in which case, an explanation is in order).

Also, since the game is already opensource, have you considered publishing it to Google Code, Github, Bitbucket or similar? I'd love to have been able to type this in a proper issue tracker.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎