X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quirk
    Swordsman
    • Mar 2016

Sil-Q 1.5 finally released

Thanks to everyone who has been instrumental in helping bring this to fruition, but especially:
    - MicroChasm, for the tileset
    - backwardsEric, for the Mac support
    - wobbly, for much excellent game balance advice

The changelist is substantial and linked from the release.

Release with link to changelog is at https://github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases/tag/v1.5.0, Windows binaries are at https://github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/r...l-Q.v1.5.0.zip.
  • HugoVirtuoso
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

Awesome work!
    My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Mantis
      Rookie
      • Sep 2018

Thank you for your work on this. Look forward to trying it.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Here's a thematic question:
        Smithing can be done in absence of light. Should smithing ever depend on light? Are there Simarillon references that require light or even sunlight to smith properly? Why did I ask? I am putting the Smithing meta-game in the IRL context. i.e. How well can people craft items if "in the dark?"

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• Gwarl
          Administrator
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by HugoVirtuoso
          Here's a thematic question:
          Smithing can be done in absence of light. Should smithing ever depend on light? Are there Simarillon references that require light or even sunlight to smith properly? Why did I ask? I am putting the Smithing meta-game in the IRL context. i.e. How well can people craft items if "in the dark?"
          Firing up the forge provides light, even in-game

Comment

• tg122
            Apprentice
            • Dec 2007

Not sure if this is working as designed or not but I noticed that weapons of Final Rest don't provided any bonuses for vampires. Is this supposed to be that way?

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by tg122
              Not sure if this is working as designed or not but I noticed that weapons of Final Rest don't provided any bonuses for vampires. Is this supposed to be that way?
              I suspect this is because vampires are not undead in Sil and Sil-Q.
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Quirk
                Swordsman
                • Mar 2016

Vampires were mysterious bat-like creatures in the service of Morgoth and of Sauron. The only vampire whose name is recorded in the annals of Arda is Sauron's messanger...

Welcome to the Tolkien vampire rabbithole!

Tolkien's vampires and werewolves don't have much in common with the vampires and werewolves of popular myth.

Tolkien's werewolves are not humans who transform into wolves, but "fell beasts inhabited by dreadful spirits".

Vampires are discussed more rarely, and the only vampire who is mentioned by name is Thuringwethil, a batlike skinchanger who may have been a Maia. Sauron himself however takes vampire form to flee after a confrontation with Luthien and Huan.

Comment

• wobbly
                  Prophet
                  • May 2012

When you bump into a wall confused while singing song of staunching, hps and voice numbers change will everything else is stationary

Comment

• Gwarl
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2017

There is finally now a fixed 1.5.0 version on angband.live, besides the version 'nightly' which is updated by Quirk

Comment

• Gwarl
                      Administrator
                      • Jan 2017

Quirk;

Did you do anything with how savefiles are handled? The game appears to be naming savefiles after the character, rather than the -u argument supplied on the command line, which breaks things on my end. Nor does it seem to be loading savefiles even when named according to the argument. Compiled with Makefile.nfe

I'm going to have to take this offline until we figure it out.
                      Last edited by Gwarl; January 28, 2022, 01:25.

Comment

• wobbly
                        Prophet
                        • May 2012

[12:52] HugoV3: Apparently, Attercop webs destroy forges

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

More observations / questions (depending on what's intended vs. what's not)

1) Pits don't interrupt sprinting if they are climbed successfully without failing on first try...Should they interrupt Sprinting or even Charging? I posted a Sil-Q playthrough on YouTube here. Go to to the 39:40 mark to understand what I mean:

2) 'Enrage' equipment don't increase the aggression counter of full health already aggressive-by-default monsters, like Trolls. Maybe Enrage equipment should increase this. Does cumulative equipment Enrage ever stack? I think they should. Does Song of Challenge stack with Enrage too? If not already, it should.

3) Bumping into wall doesn't interrupt sprinting or charge

4) Apparently, Attercop webs destroy forges (what wobbly said)...Is this intended or an actual bug? Just imagine losing Orodruth to a Attercop web. Or if you intended for those webs to destroy forges, then make the enchanted forges and Orodruth resistant to them!

5) Mallory Torches of True Sight self-Id by walk-over and not even by use...was this intended or this a bug?

6) Mithrim Quarterstaves don't show HP Regen properties via Self Knowledge staves. Increased hunger effect shows, though.

7) Do equipment Betrayal effects stack?

8) How far is the Horn of Force supposed to knock-back enemies? When I last used it at Smaug, he was knocked-back like 5 squares...isn't that too OPed?

I don't mind at all if fixing the above 1 thru 3 makes the game more difficult than already.

(The video in #1 shows I originally posted on the 1.5.0 beta thread by mistake. I have since moved the post over here)
                          Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; January 31, 2022, 06:19.

Comment

• aNACHRONiST
                            Rookie
                            • Aug 2020

Amiga C-NET Port Updated

This is awesome! I've compiled the latest version for Amiga and added BBS functionality, it can be played at: absinthebbs.net port 1940 with Syncterm, Netrunner, or a capable Amiga terminal. Keep up the great work, I love the changes(especially guaranteed forges)!

Comment

• Quirk
                              Swordsman
                              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Gwarl
                              Quirk;

Did you do anything with how savefiles are handled? The game appears to be naming savefiles after the character, rather than the -u argument supplied on the command line, which breaks things on my end. Nor does it seem to be loading savefiles even when named according to the argument. Compiled with Makefile.nfe

I'm going to have to take this offline until we figure it out.
                              Finally had time to test this, and the behaviour you describe is also present with v1.4.2. I do not believe I have changed anything relevant to this.

1) Pits don't interrupt sprinting if they are climbed successfully without failing on first try...Should they interrupt Sprinting or even Charging? I posted a Sil-Q playthrough on YouTube here. Go to to the 39:40 mark to understand what I mean:
                              Arguably a bug, has likely been there since the beginning, probably won't be fixed as very high priority.

2) 'Enrage' equipment don't increase the aggression counter of full health already aggressive-by-default monsters, like Trolls. Maybe Enrage equipment should increase this. Does cumulative equipment Enrage ever stack? I think they should. Does Song of Challenge stack with Enrage too? If not already, it should.
                              Aggression counters don't matter very much with always aggressive enemies.

Cumulative Enrage stacks.
                              Challenge affects monster morale via a different mechanism, so the effects of Enrage will stack here also.

3) Bumping into wall doesn't interrupt sprinting or charge
                              See 1). Both may get fixed sometime but don't hold your breath.

4) Apparently, Attercop webs destroy forges (what wobbly said)...Is this intended or an actual bug? Just imagine losing Orodruth to a Attercop web. Or if you intended for those webs to destroy forges, then make the enchanted forges and Orodruth resistant to them!
                              Orodruth should generally not show up in Attercop depth but I take this one fairly seriously and thank you for the bug report. I feel on balance that webs should probably not destroy forges (ideally, they would stack, but this would require adding much more sophistication, so probably standing on a forge will be a way to escape webbing after the fix).

5) Mallory Torches of True Sight self-Id by walk-over and not even by use...was this intended or this a bug?
                              Unintended, bug.

6) Mithrim Quarterstaves don't show HP Regen properties via Self Knowledge staves. Increased hunger effect shows, though.
                              Unable to replicate this with either a generated or crafted quarterstaff. Message shown is regeneration related as expected - please reconfirm this. A savefile would help.

7) Do equipment Betrayal effects stack?
                              Yes.

8) How far is the Horn of Force supposed to knock-back enemies? When I last used it at Smaug, he was knocked-back like 5 squares...isn't that too OPed?
                              Knockback should be a max of about 3 squares. Currently Force does take size into account, but it's a win/lose with Will on one side and enemy Con on the other - it could perhaps scale how far enemies get knocked back more proportionally. However the horn has to be useful, and many enemies late game are large, so I am not sure this is a necessary fix.

Originally posted by aNACHRONiST
                              This is awesome! I've compiled the latest version for Amiga and added BBS functionality, it can be played at: absinthebbs.net port 1940 with Syncterm, Netrunner, or a capable Amiga terminal. Keep up the great work, I love the changes(especially guaranteed forges)!
                              You're welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍