X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Competition 245

Competition 245 is now up at the competition page; it is an Angband 4.2.4 Dunadan Priest. This is the second of two competitions meant to compare 3.5.1 with current Angband. See the page for rules.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  • malcontent
    Adept
    • Jul 2019

Lately I've found that I like playing with selling enabled, I assume that is OK for this competition.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Yes, that's fine.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
        Veteran
        • Jan 2009

Can we use the nightly?
        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
          Can we use the nightly?
          Sure, why not?

Comment

• clouded
            Swordsman
            • Jun 2012

Can we have a Touhou Kattebatan comp next?

Comment

• malcontent
              Adept
              • Jul 2019

Congrats to Ingwe! And also bron for bringing in a winner and forcing Ingwe's hand to some degree. Which in turn forced my hand.

Ingwe accomplished the win without the last spell book!

Competitions usually help me learn more about playing the game.

This time was a bit of a "necessity is the mother of invention" experience and as turn count constraints got tighter I needed to really think about how to play a priest, and I'll be a better player for having that experience. I really really wish I had that last spell book though!

Also, Sphara encouraged forced descent, which I also now understand better, and mostly like, especially in a comp. I don't think my attempt would have been as close without using it. I took a little side trip during the comp and managed at 29K turn win with a rogue and forced descent - good times

Thanks for your work on Angband Nick and company! Maintaining something that is used by so many, and used in such different ways (playing style) and navigating all the opinions, to get where we are now is quite a feat.

Comment

• Sphara
                Knight
                • Oct 2016

Congrats to Ingwe for winning!

As for comparing the two versions: 3.5.1 was much, much easier. Not only because I found a ridiculous bow pretty early. Old version priests just had every trick in their sleeve. Healing, translocation, detection, recharging.. you name it.

I played one game of 3.5.1 and about dozen games of 4.2.4. The thing that bugged me the most in the new version, was the new harmful randart creation. In my first 4.2.4 game, I actually got some good ones early but in just about every other, the first randart was always some horrible crap. I don't know why that is? Just to make finding the first artifact a guessing game, whether it's good or bad this time?

All in all I do like 4.2.4, even though the game has arguably become harder.

Comment

• malcontent
                  Adept
                  • Jul 2019

Regarding randarts, I recall someone (Ingwe?) posting an idea that made sense to me - it seems like randart properties spill out from some objects to others - movement speed on any sort of wearable object is a prime example. It seems like the parameters could be narrowed down a bit. Same overall value as non-rand, but keeping the subcategories (boots vs rings vs weapons) also at the same overall value, and maintaining consistent properties withing those subcategories.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Yes, congratulations to Ingwe for winning, and to bron for a game winner. Honourable mention to malcontent for pushing to beat Ingwe's turncount and dying to Morgoth; that's the sort of competition behaviour we want to see

Comment

• Pete Mack
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

@Sphara--I mostly agree, except rogue nerfs have gone a little too far. There is no killer spell to make up for losing all those buffs.

Comment

• ewert
                        Knight
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by malcontent
                        Regarding randarts, I recall someone (Ingwe?) posting an idea that made sense to me - it seems like randart properties spill out from some objects to others - movement speed on any sort of wearable object is a prime example. It seems like the parameters could be narrowed down a bit. Same overall value as non-rand, but keeping the subcategories (boots vs rings vs weapons) also at the same overall value, and maintaining consistent properties withing those subcategories.
                        Hmm, I kinda agree randarts can be very hit and miss, some bonkers but most are quite meh. I think I will add this to my thing to consider ...

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Honourable mention too for wobbly's attempt that he didn't finish in time.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                            Honourable mention too for wobbly's attempt that he didn't finish in time.
                            Yes, wobbly is the real winner for Comp 245. Great game, wobbly!
                            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                            ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• wobbly
                              Prophet
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                              Yes, wobbly is the real winner for Comp 245. Great game, wobbly!
                              Meh, I knew I'd be pushing it to finish in time, I think you won Comp 245, fair and square.

On the other hand unless I'm mistaken 45,740 turns is the record time for a priest win in angband. I'll take that and put the challenge out to beat it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎