Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattB
    Veteran
    • Mar 2013

Any equipment that burns/melts etc. is junk by default once you get to a certain level. (The exception being boots and rings of speed.) So don't be too downhearted!

Comment

• Philip
      Knight
      • Jul 2009

Actually, since AC is not exactly very important for non-warriors non-paladins, and not that important for them either (much less burst damage in that form) and enchantment isn't that hard, damage only matters on weapons.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by MattB
        Any equipment that burns/melts etc. is junk by default once you get to a certain level. (The exception being boots and rings of speed.) So don't be too downhearted!
        Not necessarily; I've had several winners who used ego-weapons in the endgame, e.g. a Scythe of Slicing (Holy Avenger).

Comment

• Philip
          Knight
          • Jul 2009

Oh, by the way, each element has a damage cap. Nether can't do more than 550, fire 1600, sound 300 or so. Damage for breaths is current monster HP/3 or something like that.

Comment

• Grotug
            Veteran
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Philip
            Oh, by the way, each element has a damage cap. Nether can't do more than 550, fire 1600, sound 300 or so. Damage for breaths is current monster HP/3 or something like that.
            Good to know! I got hit with disenchant for 550 by a balance drake when I was worried about shards and sound. Now I'm facing Ancalagon the Black and debating whether or not I should fight him when I don't have resistance to sound, enchant or shards. (I could lug around other armor, but it's a pain not being able to pick stuff up in the dungeon). I'm going to eat dinner and hopefully someone will reply soon!

my character: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=15166

EDIT: Took my chances. Accidentally teleported Angalacan away when trying to get rid of the multi hued dragon. Somehow he was hitting me with nasty stuff even though he wasn't in my line of sight for a teleport away (so the spell hit Angalacan who was right against me at 45 degrees). Not so bad, since I'm now slaying a slew of major wyrms. Again, bunch of dropped equipment melted/burned up. Re: {ego} weapons--I still haven't found a weapon nearly as good as my {ego} Blade of Chaos: +4 wisdom (this is huge given how reliant I now am on spell casting--I'm casting spells *all* the time) and it's rChaos and it has an excellent slay on evil and demons and it's overall power has not been outclassed by anything I have found--in fact, few if any can match it. I'm on dl90 now and I picked this up on dl69 and I have been descending very slowly, doing some levels multiple times, so to me that is at least {splendid} category if not {special}.
            Last edited by Grotug; November 21, 2013, 23:39.
            Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• MattB
              Veteran
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Grotug
              I'm on dl90 now and I picked this up on dl69 and I have been descending very slowly, doing some levels multiple times, so to me that is at least {splendid} category if not {special}.
              Just so's you know...
              {Ego} means it has a resist or bonus.
              {Splendid} means it has some effect that is immediately obvious upon equipping the item, e.g. stat boost, speed, blows, shots, brands (so, for instance, boots of stealth +1 would be splendid).
              {Special} means it's an artifact.

Comment

• MattB
                Veteran
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Derakon
                Not necessarily; I've had several winners who used ego-weapons in the endgame, e.g. a Scythe of Slicing (Holy Avenger).
                I know, but that's what I tell myself whenever a MoD gets melted.

Actually, to be honest, after a while I now squelch all non-artifact weapons because I get bored of ID'ing. It just makes things a lot faster for a pretty marginal loss of utility.

Comment

• Grotug
                  Veteran
                  • Nov 2013

I pick up things all the time that have +1 or +2 bonuses that aren't {splendid}, but are {excellent}

Slayed the Ancalagon and he dropped squat! Still, was a fun and intense battle slaying him and all his friends. Pretty sure some nice equipment got burned up in all the dragon drops. Not a single good drop left over from the two+ dozen ancient dragons and wyrms I slayed on dungeon level 90. Amazing. Got a nice shield of sustenance from a horned reaper on dl89, tho. Means I give up my immunity to blindness, tho. Maybe not worth it if I have become so reliant on my spell book. hmmm... speed usually gets me enough time between being blinded, tho, to spell myself out of trouble. My speed is now 42.

edit: In other news, a Grand Master Mystic knocked me out awhile ago. That was kinda scary for a moment, as I didn't know how many turns I'd be out for. Luckily it was only one.

edit: "This place seems murderous, yet there may not be much interesting here" I guess my character's feeling was right. :-/ At least I recouped potions used/shattered.
                  Last edited by Grotug; November 22, 2013, 01:29.
                  Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• MattB
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2013

I pick up things all the time that have +1 or +2 bonuses that aren't {splendid}, but are {excellent}
                    I think I'm right in saying that {excellent} means that it is either {ego} or {splendid}, but you don't know which until you wear it.

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by MattB
                      I think I'm right in saying that {excellent} means that it is either {ego} or {splendid}, but you don't know which until you wear it.
                      Not quite: {ego} means {excellent} or {splendid}.

Comment

• MattB
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Derakon
                        Not quite: {ego} means {excellent} or {splendid}.
                        I stand corrected (once again!).

Comment

• Grotug
                          Veteran
                          • Nov 2013

Terrasque nearly ended it all. Somehow I wasn't paying close enough attention and didn't notice my health cut in half. Suddenly I see my hitpoints down to 79--been hit by frost. The hit before was disenchantment, so I may switch to my longbow of extra shots and +rDisenchant. Speed dropped to 32 now.

edit: It's also possible my hitpoints weren't cut in half by the disenchantment and that the bulk of them were taken from the breath of frost, but I thought the maximum for frost was 550 if I have resistance to cold?

Comment

• Grotug
                            Veteran
                            • Nov 2013

You stop paying close attention to the messages.
                            Huan, Wolfhound of the Valar breathes light, you resist
                            Huan, Wolfhound of the Valar breathes sound. You die.

Completely preventable. I looked at his info and it said he claws to freeze and breathes light, so I decided instead of having all my potions get destroyed in melee combat I'd back up and shoot arrows, but as I was backing up I stopped looking at the messages figuring light wouldn't do much harm to me since I resist it natively. Sound, I have not resistance for. I had just picked up a crown of rSound and dropped it since I didn't want to swap my helm of ESP with +4 strength constitution for nothin'. I was becoming impatient to find the last few pieces of equipment that were frustratingly not forthcoming and so I became careless. I don't even really mind that I died so close to the end on dl96. I think I'll start again with v4.

Character dump: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=15166
                            Last edited by Grotug; November 23, 2013, 01:59.

Comment

• dos350
                              Knight
                              • Sep 2010

Okay, yes, I have the same problem of hoarding and fussing too long over which items to leave behind and which to word of recall back with me. I might give it a shot. When I died on level 43 I had over $300,000 AU, tho Of course the black market wasn't selling anything I needed.

I am a huge fan of Tolkien and have similar, conservative sentiments as him, so I probably wouldn't particularly care for the adult versions .

EDIT: I just started playing on no-selling and now it won't tell me what the potions are when I quaff them. :-/

lllllol~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎