X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grotug
    Veteran
    • Nov 2013

and just like that, it's all over.

Many many hours of carefully and not so carefully slogging my way deeper into the dungeon, suddenly, without any warning, "the grolem breathes poison and you die" reads across the top of the screen on level 46, which is odd now that I think of it, because I thought I was on level 43. Pretty sure about that. Very odd. Strange how 99% of the time I'm taking between 0 and 30 damage a hit, when I can go from 500 to 0 in one move.

I was a level 36 with some fantastic speed boosts I had recently acquired. First was a ring of speed for +9. Then were boots of speed for +9 and then a rod of speed for +10. That improved things considerably and I was relatively comfortably moving around the low 40s, checking new baddies before rushing into them. But I thought I was on level 43 (really don't know why it said level 46) and the little g just didn't seem like anything special so I went and attacked him and then notice his health bar didn't go down after I had my turn so was excited that he might be a challenging foe, when then before I get to go again, I'm dead!

It's one of the things that keeps the game exciting and addictive, tho. You can die at any moment.
    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix
  • Philip
    Knight
    • Jul 2009

Hah, it's been a while since a drolem caught someone.
    Those do 800 hp of damage with a breath if you don't resist poison.

Comment

• Grotug
      Veteran
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Philip
      Hah, it's been a while since a drolem caught someone.
      Those do 800 hp of damage with a breath if you don't resist poison.
      I had resistance redundancy on just about everything (and resistance for stuff I hadn't encountered yet, like chaos) but the one weapon I think, that had res pois was too weakly, so I continued using my 341 hit-to-dam which was serving me very well. I had a ring of constitution <+6> and a ring of damage (0, +14) to choose from. I basically only ever used the damage. Maybe my HP would have been just 800 had I been wearing the constitution ring instead of the damage ring. I had also gotten a weapon when I was Cl20s (or maybe even teens) that was immune to fire! but it's to hit wasn't as high as another weapon so I sold it (bangs head against wall) man, fire was burning up all sorts of fine equipment in my pack, not to mention delivering some nasty damage to me, even with res-fire on multiple pieces of equipment.
      Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• AnonymousHero
        Veteran
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Grotug
        ... even with res-fire on multiple pieces of equipment.
        As you've discovered, resistances on equipment don't stack. The only case where resistances stack is you're getting potion-granted resistance on top of equipment-granted resistance.

Comment

• Philip
          Knight
          • Jul 2009

In V resistance redundancy only matters as a permanent resistance + temporary. Which version are you using? Because for standard V I think to-hit is not really too useful. Oh, and have you tried no-selling? It's worth a try.

EDIT: Certain variants have resistance redundancy with increased percentage resistance. Have you tried O or FA? I think PosCheng might have it too.

Comment

• buzzkill
            Prophet
            • May 2008

the little g just didn't seem like anything special so I went and attacked him and then notice his health bar didn't go down after I had my turn so was excited that he might be a challenging foe... I'm dead!
            That always happens as soon as you get comfortable. Just when you think you might have it figured out.
            www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
            My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Grotug
              Veteran
              • Nov 2013

I'm using version 3.4.1

What is the advantage of playing with 'no selling'?

What are O and FA?

Comment

• debo
                Veteran
                • Oct 2011

No selling gives you more gold on the dungeon floor, but doesn't let you sell stuff at stores.

I like this mode because it stops my OCD tendency to hoard every arrow, pebble, and dagger to sell back at the town. Some people really don't like it.

OAngband and FAangband are mature variants with a long history and some very twisted maintainers.
                Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Grotug
                  Veteran
                  • Nov 2013

Okay, yes, I have the same problem of hoarding and fussing too long over which items to leave behind and which to word of recall back with me. I might give it a shot. When I died on level 43 I had over $300,000 AU, tho Of course the black market wasn't selling anything I needed.

I am a huge fan of Tolkien and have similar, conservative sentiments as him, so I probably wouldn't particularly care for the adult versions .

EDIT: I just started playing on no-selling and now it won't tell me what the potions are when I quaff them. :-/
                  Last edited by Grotug; November 11, 2013, 14:15.

Comment

• debo
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2011

I could be 100% wrong on this, but i believe you're allowed to sell potions back to the stores in no-selling mode for the purposes of iding them -- you just won't get any money for them.

Again, this is based on very foggy memory and I could be totally wrong.

Quaff-id should still work, but I think you need to be in a certain state / circumstance for them to do so. Again, don't quite remember how use-id works in vanilla anymore

Comment

• Bostock
                      Swordsman
                      • Aug 2007

I am a huge fan of Tolkien and have similar, conservative sentiments as him, so I probably wouldn't particularly care for the adult versions .
                      "Mature" here doesn't mean sexual, etc. content. It means that these variants have been in development long enough that they don't contain major technical or balance problems. When trying less mature variants, you risk frustrations from such problems, so it's nice to know a variant is mature. :]
                      So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

• Grotug
                        Veteran
                        • Nov 2013

Ahh, okay, great. I just read a blurb about Oangband. Anything else you could possibly add? Is there as much random death as regular Angband?

Oangband is one of many variants of Angband, emphasising intuitive rules, varied gameplay, and extra coolness. This long-established variant (one of the older ones active) offers more individual and distinct classes and specializations, more intelligent and diverse monsters, and more subtle and interesting objects. Depth of play is tremendous, with well-balanced ways to defeat monsters that work from the moment you walk into the dungeon, to that dread day you face Morgoth, wielder of the Udun-Fire.

Comment

• debo
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

I think i played oangband once for 2 hours and died 30 times

Comment

• KarlM
                            Rookie
                            • May 2007

FAAngband is awesome :-). First Age Angband. Very tolkien-y. Middle earth races, wilderness, multiple towns, multiple dungeons. Combat is neat. Spells are neat. The rare crashes are interestingly coded... :-)
                            "You hit Morgoth, Lord of Darkness. You have slain Morgoth, Lord of Darkness. Congratulations, you have won the game. The Great Wyrm of Balance breathes chaos. You die."

Comment

• Grotug
                              Veteran
                              • Nov 2013

Cool. Maybe I'll try it the next time I die in Angband. I'm back up to the early dl40s and nearly died twice (and force closed the program before the baddies' turns could finish). Someone breathed shards and I went from 430 to 14. with [more] messages on the way so I force quit I don't even remember the other NDE that I quit on, but similar sudden massive loss of HP.

I am wearing a ring of bodykeeping yet some devilish thing drained some of my constitution just now.

I'm having fun playing with no-selling. I just had a fun run in with Gorgon where my HP was in the low HP warnings a few times. Gorgon's Minions sure dumped a lot of loot, tho! Prolly over $25k

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎