X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grodrigues
    Rookie
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Sideways
    This is not normally the case, !sdkv should always work (and !sdk is a standard inscription regularly appended by the Mogaminator).
    I just tested and is in fact working fine. (Scratches head) Maybe I got confused because it does not work when dropping inside your home -- but that is intended, or so I guess.

Not entirely sure what you mean here, but I think it's related to the desire to have radically different pickprefs for some specific classes/races (e.g. hydra) that are at least initially the same for all characters of that type even if they don't share the same name?
    My bad, the sentence is garbled. What I mean is that Frog loads keymap preference files auomatically filtered by class, race, etc. but not the pick preference files -- it only does so by name. What I currently do is have a simlink and just rename it when the need arises.

Spell info does account for that kind of thing; what those stones do is basically give you Dm for that one realm, so either you are looking for the effect in the wrong place or the stone does nothing extra at all because you already have Dm for all realms anyway, as is very commonly the case on a sorcerer.
    The latter. Ok, thanks for the info then.

I'm sneakily curious, though, about how Cult of Personality would play out on a sorcerer. It's admittedly fiddly (always have to figure out if new summons are hostile or friendly or pets) and sorcerers can't really handle very many pets (so you'd have to dismiss stuff regularly which makes it even more fiddly); but sorcerers almost always have high CHR, which ties well into that mut, and a big summon not being hostile sounds like it would be even nicer than normally when your @ is so squishy.
    I do not play with pets very much. Even tried a necromancer a couple of times, but just cannot get the hang of it. If I did though, I'd probably choose Aphrodite parentage.

Comment

• KiTA
      Rookie
      • Oct 2009

I keep seeing Igors and Blue Mages on the ladder. Next release is gonna be interesting, that's for sure.

Comment

• Bucephalus
        Apprentice
        • Jul 2016

So I'm running a level 22 android politician in chocolate. I can use Grit, Grease and Glory, but instead of the usual political skills, I have Trump magic.

Just realized how weird this is. I can't generate another character like it, and nobody on the ladder has Trump magic either.

This is a bug?

Comment

• Sideways
          Knight
          • Nov 2008

That's one of FrogComposband's secret easter eggs. You are not the first player to discover it, but I do think you are the first to discover it without looking in the code

You should still be able to access your normal political stuff in addition to the Trump spells, by pressing P in the book menu. It's the same system as on force-trainers and ninja-lawyers. Having the Trump spells is not exclusively positive, I forget exactly why but I think it limits some stuff like charming.
          The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Bucephalus
            Apprentice
            • Jul 2016

That's one of FrogComposband's secret easter eggs. You are not the first player to discover it, but I do think you are the first to discover it without looking in the code

You should still be able to access your normal political stuff in addition to the Trump spells, by pressing P in the book menu. It's the same system as on force-trainers and ninja-lawyers. Having the Trump spells is not exclusively positive, I forget exactly why but I think it limits some stuff like charming.
            Ah-ha! With your help (and after thinking about it), I'm able to create new ones now. I won't spoil it for everyone else.

Your second point is interesting. I'm looking for the drawback, but debug tells me that by level 50 their political skills are identical. It's worth noting that all the Trump spells are available at 0% fail, which makes this seem like a powerful character indeed.

Comment

• Thraalbee
              Knight
              • Sep 2010

Fake plastic copy of the one ring?

My centipede is wearing the one ring and still get "you are burned" and "... *burned* ..." messages. Seems to be the fiery auras that still hurt because fireballs etc does not. Same with a Greater Balrog as the Unicorn of Order (a tough cookie by the way). Not a deal breaker but feels wrong

====== Character Equipment ==========

a) The Ring of Power (The One Ring) (+5) {cursed,
              SpStInWiDxCnCh;*AcElFiCo;Di;SiRgAgTyWm|AEFCo~Good~ UL(StInWiDxCnCh
              A:Something Weird} Dropped by Sauron, the Sorcerer on level 93 of Angband.
              Identified: Day 177, 10:01, at CL 50.

== Messages

You attack The Unicorn of Order: You hit with your trunk. You do 89
              damage. You are *burned*! You take 24 damage. You are chronosmashed!
              You feel life has clocked back. You take 2 damage. You bite. You do 104
              damage. You are *burned*! You take 15 damage. You sting. It was a great
              hit! You do 157 damage. It is poisoned! You do 29 damage. It resists.
              You are *burned*! You take 6 damage. You miss. You miss. You crawl. You
              do 147 damage. You are *burned*! You take 20 damage.
              The Unicorn of Order attacks you: It misses. It misses. It misses. It
              bites. You take 55 damage. You stand your ground! *** LOW HITPOINT
              WARNING! *** Press Space to continue. => . You are chronosmashed!
              You're not as strong as you used to be...
              The Unicorn of Order attacks you: It kicks. You are slowed! You feel
              very sluggish! It kicks. You take 44 damage. *Ouch!* Energy drains from
              your Staff: Healing (4/4 charges) {14%, @uh!sdk}! It butts. You take 33
              damage. *Ouch!* You are disenchanted! It bites. You take 49 damage.
              *Ouch!* You are chronosmashed! You're not as bright as you used to
              be...

Comment

• Sideways
                Knight
                • Nov 2008

The Unicorn of Order's aura is holy fire, not regular fire. The "*burned*" message instead of just "burned" is a bit odd though, because it implies extra damage from evil alignment and you aren't playing with virtues on. (Looking into the code, I think having evil pets could temporarily shift you to evil alignment even with virtues off; your alignment does not have much effect with virtues off, but apparently does still affect this. Did you have evil pets?)

Greater Balrogs' auras are regular fire, they shouldn't hurt through *Fi (and don't when I test). Gothmog has an aura of hellfire though which is also not regular fire.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                  Knight
                  • Sep 2010

It was hellfire iirc so thats ok and I did summon death molds on that floor so that makes sense too. Still, I'd be happy if the messages were slightly changed to make this more clear. Just something like "burned with holy/hell fire"

Comment

• Sideways
                    Knight
                    • Nov 2008

I'd like to keep it one word for brevity; but if someone can think of an evocative word other than "burned" for suffering damage from holy fire or hellfire, I'm all ears.

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

"smited"? "smitten" is I think the right conjugation but would probably evoke the wrong mental image.

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
                        Apprentice
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
                        "smited"? "smitten" is I think the right conjugation but would probably evoke the wrong mental image.
                        Scorched? Blistered? Immolated?

im•mo•late ĭm′ə-lāt
                        transitive verb
                        To kill (an animal, for instance) as a religious sacrifice.
                        To kill, especially by fire.
                        To kill as a sacrificial victim; offer in sacrifice; make a sacrifice of.
                        Immolate sounds right for Holy Fire or Hell Fire.

Interestingly, a common response to seeing the Unicorn charging at you is to exclaim "Holy Moly". This is generally follow by a cloud of "Holy Smokes"!

Comment

• KiTA
                          Rookie
                          • Oct 2009

Could also use different colors or capitalization, perhaps?

Burned for fire, BURNED for Hellfire, Immolated for Holy Fire?

Comment

• KiTA
                            Rookie
                            • Oct 2009

Bug: If you're a Mimic with a pet (for example, one given by a chaos god) and change forms, you lose it, even if it's not one given by your mimicry.

Looking at the source, It doesn't look trivial to fix.

Edit: Maybe a hidden flag for Mimic-form-created pets. Would also allow for keeping track of pets-of-pets, and things that were summoned but charmed or what have you.

Actually I wonder if a Capture Ball would work as a workaround for the Mimic chaos pet thing.
                            Last edited by KiTA; December 16, 2019, 04:05.

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by ShadowTechnology
                              Scorched? Blistered? Immolated?
                              Blasted, zapped (though isn't that used for shocking auras?), damned, blighted, sanctified, remonstrated...

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
                                Apprentice
                                • Jan 2009

Anyone ever reforge The Mighty Hammer 'Grond'?

Just curious if it's possible (if Fame scores go high enough to allow it).

I have a post-winner dwarf weapon master of axes that would love to try reforging Grond into an axe. It's not going to happen with this character. His fame got nerfed by failing two of the random dungeon quests, shying away from one of the town quests, and being defeated in the arena. His current fame only allows reforging of artifacts with scores up to 116,383. Grond has a score of 427,257. No way to fix that now.

So, does an undefeated winning character's fame get high enough to reforge Grond? And if so, was the result interesting?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎