X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gwarl
    Administrator
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by TauzentBlitz
    The disciple classes should probably be at least beginner with their starting weapons like everyone else.
    This could be a reference to composband where everyone starts at unskilled, disciples being a pastiche of composband in many respects.

Comment

• Firons2
      Rookie
      • Oct 2018

Is there a pref file for birth options?

Edit: I've found the birth options, but no level size option unfortunately.
      Last edited by Firons2; July 24, 2019, 11:38.

Comment

• Sideways
        Knight
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Firons2
        Is there a pref file for birth options?

Edit: I've found the birth options, but no level size option unfortunately.
        You can normally add new options in pref-opt.prf as you wish, unfortunately this only works for yes/no options so it won't help with the level size option.

What you can do if you want to set the level size option to a (semi-)permanent default value other than "Normal" is use the same savefile for all of your characters, that way the old character's options will be loaded for the new character as the defaults. Turn empty_lore on if you don't want item flag memory to also carry over from game to game.
        The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Firons2
          Rookie
          • Oct 2018

Another thing, I have several artifacts, namely "The Short Bow of Neith" and "The Ball-and-Chain of Winter Wonderland", but they don't show up in the tilde menu under artifacts. Is this intended behavior?
          Last edited by Firons2; July 25, 2019, 15:30.

Comment

• Sideways
            Knight
            • Nov 2008

Yes, ~a only lists standard artifacts - the ones that remain the same every game. It doesn't list random artifacts.

There's a good (but not that important) reason and a bad (but highly practical) reason why that behavior is intended. The good but not that important reason is that if you use the same savefile again and play with empty_lore off, you'll retain your artifact memory and can use ~a to see at a glance which artifacts you've found before that you haven't found on your current run; and for that purpose random artifacts would just be clutter. The bad but important reason is that due to the way artifacts are coded it would be pretty much impossible to list random artifacts in that menu anyway.

Comment

• Firons2
              Rookie
              • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Sideways
              Yes, ~a only lists standard artifacts - the ones that remain the same every game. It doesn't list random artifacts.

There's a good (but not that important) reason and a bad (but highly practical) reason why that behavior is intended. The good but not that important reason is that if you use the same savefile again and play with empty_lore off, you'll retain your artifact memory and can use ~a to see at a glance which artifacts you've found before that you haven't found on your current run; and for that purpose random artifacts would just be clutter. The bad but important reason is that due to the way artifacts are coded it would be pretty much impossible to list random artifacts in that menu anyway.
              Ah, I understand, that's perfectly reasonable. One last thing, does empty_lore remove monster lore too?

Comment

• Sideways
                Knight
                • Nov 2008

No, it only empties item lore.

Comment

• Firons2
                  Rookie
                  • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Sideways
                  No, it only empties item lore.
                  Good to know, thanks for answering all my questions.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                    Swordsman
                    • Feb 2009

The Compost Heap

Some of the green 'r' are identified as Plague Monks, not Plague rats.
                    Some Swamp Rats are green 'r' while some are yellow. Is there a difference?

Fairly straightforward and easy enough quest with a missile weapon and patience. The Prince was a pain going in unknowing. Fun with good rewards! Maybe a bit too good, unless the RNG was stuck.

Padded Armor of Augmentation [5, +22] (+2) {StInWiDxCnCh}
                    Wakizashi (2d5) (+5,+6)
                    Light Crossbow (3.50) (+5,+5)

Comment

• Sideways
                      Knight
                      • Nov 2008

Swamp rats and plague monks are dark green. Plague rats are yellow. Blame Gwarl for this coloring scheme

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                        Swordsman
                        • Feb 2009

Wouldn't a monk usually be a 'p'?

/ShakesFistAtGwarl

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

Rfe: make an empty monster lore birth option per Hugo request
                          My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Bostock
                            Swordsman
                            • Aug 2007

* Opening doors no longer disturbs travelling
                            New version would be worth it even with just this change alone. :-))

Congratulations on continuing to provide such massive updates even after so many before, rodent!
                            So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                              Swordsman
                              • Feb 2009

Minor annoyance more than a bug.

I haven't used Tiles since forever ago so I thought I'd give them a try. Played with various settings and didn't care for it at all. Clicked back to 'None' and went to play. I assumed 'Bigtile Mode' would be ignored with no tilesets in use. Boy was I wrong!

Many many graphic errors appeared in Ascii mode with Bigtile selected.
                              -The space to the right of the Character was blacked out.
                              -Bumping a wall left a 5 space line of black spaces.
                              -Mobs and Treasure could be lost in the black

Well, you get the idea. Maybe switching tileset to None should force Bigtile to off before it catches the unwary.

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
                                Apprentice
                                • Jan 2009

Reforging in Frog (or Refroging in Forg)

I like the addition information/recommendation/explanation one gets before committing to a reforge. I finally understand how item type is used to adjust scores for newly created artifacts.

One remaining question: Let's say I want to reforge some artifact armor onto a battle axe. I have a choice of two in my home inventory:
                                Battle Axe (+0,+0)
                                Battle Axe (+15,+15)
                                Either one is acceptable to the reforger.
                                I'm wondering if the resulting artifact will be exactly the same either way (meaning the ToHit and Dam bonuses are mundanized (removed) before the reforge, OR is the resulting artifact more likely to have high ToHit and Dam bonues (at least +15,+15) at the expense of special abilities, brands, slays, etc. I am assuming the final artifact score is going to be in the same range either way.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎