X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MITZE
    Swordsman
    • Jan 2017

Virtue: Temperance

WHAT RACES, CLASSES, AND MAGIC REALMS GET THE 'TEMPERANCE' VIRTUE?

Races:
    Hobbit
    Ogre

Classes:
    Archer
    Force-Trainer
    Monk
    Mystic
    Priest
    Ranger

Magic Realms:
    Life, but only as a second choice to the Vitality virtue (i.e. Life normally gives the Vitality virtue, but if you already have it from race/class you get Temperance instead).

Extra:
    All characters who don't already have it and eight virtues total have a 2 in 29 chance of receiving the Temperance virtue.

HOW DO I AFFECT MY TEMPERANCE VIRTUE SCORE?

The following things affect your 'Temperance' virtue score:

-2 when:
    Your satiation value increases and it takes you to Gorged.

-1 when:
    You successfully cast a Daemon spell and 1d(100 + CL) is less than the cost.
    You successfully cast a Daemon spell for the first time.
    Your satiation value changes and you were Starving pre-change.

+1 when:
    You successfully cast a Life spell and 1d(100 + CL) is less than the cost.
    You successfully cast a Life spell for the first time.
    Your satiation value changes and you were Hungry pre-change.
    You heal yourself for more than 0 HP while at less than one-third your maximum HP.

WHAT DOES MY TEMPERANCE VIRTUE AFFECT?

Digestion rate:
    The amount of satiation lost to normal digestion is multiplied by *((375 - Temperance) / 375) (range: *1.333 to *0.667).
    Last edited by MITZE; May 10, 2021, 04:30. Reason: Fixed formatting.
    Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• MITZE
      Swordsman
      • Jan 2017

Virtue: Unlife

WHAT RACES, CLASSES, AND MAGIC REALMS GET THE 'UNLIFE' VIRTUE?

Races:
      Demon
      Einheri
      Lich
      Pumpkin
      Skeleton
      Spectre
      Vampire (Player Race)
      Vampire (Player Monster Race)
      Zombie

Classes:
      Ninja
      Ninja-Lawyer

Magic Realms:
      Death
      Necromancy

HOW DO I AFFECT MY UNLIFE VIRTUE SCORE?

The following things affect your 'Unlife' virtue score:

-5 when:
      You quaff a potion of liquid logrus and the rolled effect is case 12 (heal 420 HP, cure all ailments, cause temporary hallucination, 1/13 chance).
      You quaff a potion of life. Note that this is also a possible effect from a potion of liquid logrus, but that the chance of that effect depends on your luck; it's a 2/13 chance if you have good luck, non-existent chance if you have bad luck, and 1/13 chance otherwise.

-2 when:
      You successfully apply the effect of Dispel Undead ('Blame Undead' in the Law realm, 'Dispel Undead' in the Life realm, 'Exorcism' and 'Dispel Undead & Demons' in the Crusade realm, non-realm ability, scroll or staff of dispel undead).
      You successfully apply the effect of Annihilate Undead (Life spell).
      You become invulnerable.

-1 when:
      You fail to cast a Death or Necromancy spell and 1d100 is less than the failrate.
      You destroy a dungeon Death or Necromancy spellbook.
      You successfully apply the effect of Turn Undead ('Turn Undead' in the Life realm, non-realm ability).

+1 when:
      You successfully cast a Death or Necromancy spell and 1d(100 + CL) is less than the cost.
      You destroy a dungeon Life spellbook.
      You learn/study a Death or Necromancy spell.
      You successfully cast a Death or Necromancy spell for the first time.
      You kill a good monster and (MDL / 10 + (3 * DL)) is greater than or equal to 1d100.
      You cast 'Invoke Spirits' and the consequent hidden die roll to determine the effect is less than 8.
      You successfully cast 'Raise the Dead' (Death spell).
      If, during a round of melee attacks, you successfully proc and benefit from vampirism, or have done so with any previous blow in that round of attacks, 1 in 4 times.

+2 when:
      You kill a good unique monster.

+3 when:
      You become a wraith.

+5 when:
      You quaff a potion of death.

WHAT DOES MY UNLIFE VIRTUE AFFECT?

Dominate Demon/Enslave Undead power:
      The power of Dominate Demon/Enslave Undead is boosted by +(Unlife / 10) (range: -12 to +12).

Charm Living power:
      The power of Charm Living is reduced by -(Unlife / 10) (range: +12 to -12).

Monster friendliness:
      When your Unlife is positive and (a random number from 0 to 1000) is less than it, generated undead are spawned friendly as long as they are allowed to be friendly and they do not have a hostile alignment.

Unlike most virtues, Unlife has a negative effect on alignment.
      Last edited by MITZE; May 24, 2021, 22:02. Reason: Fixed formatting.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
        Swordsman
        • Feb 2009

Thank you so much for this series MITZE

Comment

• MITZE
          Swordsman
          • Jan 2017

Virtue: Valour

WHAT RACES, CLASSES, AND MAGIC REALMS GET THE 'VALOUR' VIRTUE?

Races:
          Barbarian
          Half-Orc
          Half-Troll

Classes:
          Berserker
          Cavalry
          Mauler
          Paladin
          Red-Mage
          Samurai
          Warrior
          Warrior-Mage

Magic Realms:
          None

Extra:
          All characters who don't already have it and eight virtues total have a 6 in 29 chance of receiving the Valour virtue.

HOW DO I AFFECT MY VALOUR VIRTUE SCORE?

The following things affect your 'Valour' virtue score:

-5 when:
          You become a wraith.
          You become invulnerable.

-2 when:
          You fail a quest.

-1 when:
          Your fear level increases.
          You kill a breeder and you've already killed over 1000 of its species, 1 in 10 times.
          You destruct a quest monster and it gets teleported instead of deleted from the level, when (((CurrentHP * 10) / MaxHP) is greater than 5) and ((1d5 + 4) is less than ((CurrentHP * 10) / MaxHP)).
          You successfully proc a displacement/teleportation effect against a monster via Gravity or Storm Winds damage, the Armageddon realm's "Windblast" spell, the Duelist's "Isolation" ability, the Mindcrafter's "Pulverize" ability, or the Psion's "Psionic Storm" ability, or a Banish Undead, Banish Evil or Banishment effect (Teleport Other counts as the last one).
          The situation immediately above happens, and both (((CurrentHP * 10) / MaxHP) is greater than 5) and ((1d5 + 4) is less than ((CurrentHP * 10) / MaxHP)) are true.

+1 when:
          You kill a monster whose native depth is greater than the current dungeon level and 1d10 is less than or equal to (MDL - DL), in a non-beginner dungeon (note that the whole "non/beginner dungeon" thing seems to be vestigal and so can probably be ignored, as far as anyone can discern).
          You kill monster whose native depth is DL61 or greater.

+2 when:
          You complete a quest.
          You kill a monster whose native depth is greater than or equal to (2 * (CL + 1)).

+5 when:
          You kill the boss of a dungeon.

WHAT DOES MY VALOUR VIRTUE AFFECT?

[C] or [~][W] melee accuracy values, when using weapons or Martial Arts:
          Your total melee chance to hit bonus (a number which is fed alongside with an AC value into a calculation that returns a percent chance to hit) is increased by +(Valour / 10) (range: -12 to +12). Note that because there are a number of variables here which may or may not apply, it's hard to give a general estimation of how much of an effect Valour actually has when all is said and done. But, as an example, under normal circumstances for a CL50 Combat Nibelung Rage-Mage that has +34 total melee to-hit, versus AC150 the bonus seems to amount to ~-2% to ~+2%, in the end. Valour may make more (or less) of a difference in other circumstances.

The MDL of a Staffmaster/Staff Weaponmaster's Monkey Clone:
          The MDL (which affects a monster's accuracy and its saves against various things) of a Monkey Clone is derived from a calculation which takes your [C]/[~][W] accuracy vs a AC150 enemy and turns it into a monster level. As above, there are a lot of variables that may or may not apply, but as an example, under normal circumstances for a CL50 Patient Dunadan Staffmaster that has +59 total melee to-hit, the bonus seems to amount to ~-3MDLs to ~+4MDLs. Note that when wielding more than one weapon, only the last weapon checked matters (haven't confirmed, but it's probably the one in the left hand for characters with the standard body), but dual-wielding reduces accuracy and so is bad for Monkey Clones anyway.

Your chance to hit with many (possibly all) bump attacks and melee special attacks:
          Your total melee chance to hit bonus for anything/most everything that calls the py_attack_aux() function (directly or indirectly) is increased by +(Valour / 10) (range: -12 to +12). As before, there are a number of variables here that may or may not apply, and so a general estimation of how much of an effect Valour actually has when all is said and done is hard to give. But, it should be roughly similar to the effect it has on [C]/[~][W] melee accuracy values, give or take.

SPECIAL THANKS
          Thanks to doll on angband.live, rodent/Sideways, and wobbly for helping me in parsing code.
          Last edited by MITZE; May 27, 2021, 23:28. Reason: Fixed formatting.

Comment

• MITZE
            Swordsman
            • Jan 2017

Virtue: Vitality

WHAT RACES, CLASSES, AND MAGIC REALMS GET THE 'VITALITY' VIRTUE?

Races:
            Beorning
            High-Elf
            Kutar
            Orc
            Troll
            Werewolf

Classes:
            Beastmaster

Magic Realms:
            Life

HOW DO I AFFECT MY VITALITY VIRTUE SCORE?

The following things affect your 'Vitality' virtue score:

-3 when:
            When the neo-tsuyoshi special effect wears off.
            When you quaff a potion of tsuyoshi special.

-2 when:
            You genocide a monster glyph.
            You mass genocide.
            You kill a good unique.

-1 when:
            You fail to cast a Life spell and 1d100 is less than the failrate.
            You successfully cast a Death or Necromancy spell and 1d(100 + CL) is less than the cost.
            You successfully cast Advanced Bloodsucking (Law "spell").
            You destroy a dungeon Life spellbook.
            You successfully cast a Death or Necromancy spell for the first time.
            You successfully genocide a monster via the Mirror-Master's "Seal of Mirror," Yeqrezh's "Annihilation," a Death Dragon player monster's "Breathe Genocide," the Death realm's "Genocide One," the Daemon realm's "Send to Hell," or an Annihilation wand or activation.
            You successfully cast Purple Vampirism (Troika ability).
            You quaff a potion of death.
            You successfully cast Vampiric Drain (Death spell).
            You successfully cast Vampirism True (Death spell).

+1 when:
            You successfully cast a Life spell and 1d(100 + CL) is less than the cost.
            You destroy a dungeon Death or Necromancy spellbook.
            You successfully cast a Life spell for the first time.
            Your base CON gets increased.
            You heal a monster.
            You quaff a potion of liquid logrus and the rolled effect is case 12 (heal 420 HP, cure all ailments, cause temporary hallucination, 1/13 chance).
            You quaff a potion of life. Note that this is also a possible effect from a potion of liquid logrus, but that the chance of that effect depends on your luck; it's a 2/13 chance if you have good luck, non-existent chance if you have bad luck, and 1/13 chance otherwise.

+2 when:
            You quaff a potion of neo-tsuyoshi special.
            You kill an undead unique.

WHAT DOES MY VITALITY VIRTUE AFFECT?

Heal values for most (possibly all) forms of player healing:
            Any heal that calls the hp_player_aux() function (directly or indirectly) is multiplied by *((Vitality + 1250) / 1250) (range: *0.9 to *1.1).
            Last edited by MITZE; May 25, 2021, 00:56. Reason: Fixed formatting.

Comment

• MITZE
              Swordsman
              • Jan 2017

BTW, with Vitality done every virtue has a writeup now; I'll probably go through them all again at some point for any interactions that I missed (from rodent/Sideways implementing them after I already did the relevant writeup), and to make the wording I used more standardized/clear and less obtuse, make each writeup more organized, add new sections for each virtue for how to best raise/lower it, and thoroughly cover what Valour and Vitality affect exactly (so it can be discerned if there is anything you would think they should affect that they don't).

Also I should probably date each writeup update, for posterity.
              Last edited by MITZE; May 25, 2021, 19:42. Reason: Fixed formatting.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎