Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nivim
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2014

Pre-Post P.S.: This turned out rather long, and unfortunately this forum lacks anything resembling an organizational spoiler box; apologies.

I don't know too much about playing with always_small_levels (since I relied too heavily on teleportation back when I was seriously considering it, and only flipped it on when attempting to dive through an annoying dungeon; basically using it like lore Amberite powers), and I think I failed to explain or didn't bother explaining why I liked ironman_rooms last time it came up in chat with Sideways, but now that I have a clearer understanding of his confusion from this thread, I think I can take a much better shot at it.

The comparison between Interesting Rooms and Quests is an apt one, because they're both reorienting away from the normal dungeon gameplay of exploring a steady amount of terrain with floor-loot and killing a steady amount of monsters and uniques with a fairly steady rate of drops. The randomly generated dungeon floors, despite their 'infinite replay value', tend to be most memorable by focal points— uniques of interest, monster pits, vaults, or unusual creature combinations/disasters— and Quests come with a standard focus each (preforming the quest completion goal before leaving or dying), while Greater Vaults have more varied yet less well-delimited versions of the same kind of focal points (find a vault with something(s) you want, then try to conquer/solve the vault even if some of the creatures or their quantity are out of your league)... in addition to some of the random points of interest from normal dungeon floors.

It's likely that for the same reason I preferred Interesting Rooms, I also tried a character when more Quests were added that never lingered at any dungeon depth; instead going straight between town Quests, dungeon Quests, and Dungeon Guardians while spending the minimum necessary time in transit. It wasn't quite possible, especially with the ~CL30 hump, but it was nice while it lasted.

(The comparison between goal-oriented and browsing play reminds me of those studies on the differences between male and female average buying habits: how the former would more often have an ordered list, and would hunt down the objects on that list; how the latter would more often comb all available options, collecting what would be on a list along the way; and how if each group were required to use the methods of the other they would experience mental fatigue well above what could be explained by the time and effort spent. This in turns ties back into the poschzangband-likes due to how one of their greatest challenges is player fatigue leading to mistakes, so you'd expect players to intuitively pick playstyles they find personally less fatiguing as they become more experienced. It's too bad we don't have a more balanced ratio of male/female players, as then we might be able to collect data on if playstyles line up with the buying-habits studies.)

Now, I don't know much about your Disciples, especially since I'm behind on reading logs again, but their apparently auto-generated Quest-likes seem like another mechanic good for partially filling the gap left by ironman_rooms removal. (Although, naturally, nothing can replace it in my heart.)

Comment

• wobbly
      Prophet
      • May 2012

hmm. didn't seem to work. I swear I've used spoilers on this site before.

[spoiler]Stuff[/spoiler]

Well invisible spoilers work at least..

Comment

• MITZE
        Swordsman
        • Jan 2017

Bug Report: Randart Feanorian Lamps

There seems to be an issue with the amount of light radius at least randart feanorian lamps give; I have one and bostock has one that claims to give radius 3 lite, but actually only gives radius 2.
        Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• Rudiment
          Scout
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by MITZE
          There seems to be an issue with the amount of light radius at least randart feanorian lamps give; I have one and bostock has one that claims to give radius 3 lite, but actually only gives radius 2.
          Notice this one too

Comment

• Rudiment
            Scout
            • Aug 2017

I have some questions:
            1) About gaining exp via pets. I play as monster race Lich.For example my pet killed enemy that worth 50 exp. How much experience i gain?
            2) I play with Lucky Personality. I read that this increase quality of loot. Is this information correct?
            3) Does device skill affect only fail chance to use magic stuff?

Comment

• Sideways
              Knight
              • Nov 2008

1) The simple answer is that you will gain 10 XP and your pet will gain the remaining 40 XP. (This answer is a bit oversimplistic in that how much XP a kill is worth in the first place is calculated a bit differently if the killer is a pet than if you are the killer; so you shouldn't necessarily assume that a kill that's worth 50 XP with you as the killer would give you 10 XP with the pet as the killer.)

2) Yes, the chance of items being good, ego or artifacts is boosted on a Lucky character. (The white aura on Lucky characters also has other beneficial effects; notably, it boosts mutation quality.)

3) Yes. Note, though, that negative device skill from items and negative device power from items are bundled together, so an item that gives one will also give the other. (Positive device skill and positive device power appear independently of each other.)
              The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Rudiment
                Scout
                • Aug 2017

Does ninja class bonus speed stack with demigod hermes bonus speed?

Comment

• Sideways
                  Knight
                  • Nov 2008

Absolutely (and both stack with the speed bonus from Hasty personality, too).

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
                    Apprentice
                    • Jan 2009

Luck

[QUOTE=Sideways;137416]1)
                    2) Yes, the chance of items being good, ego or artifacts is boosted on a Lucky character. (The white aura on Lucky characters also has other beneficial effects; notably, it boosts mutation quality.)

Does the Coffee Mode bonus for finding good/ego/artifact items stack with Lucky personality or other sources of the white aura?

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
                      Apprentice
                      • Jan 2009

Evolution in the Arena?!?

Maybe this is an old feature, but it's never happened to me before. @ enters the arena to fight the Shadow Drake. @ is getting his life drained a lot, but is winning the fight. Suddenly the wounded Shadow Drake evolves into a Death Drake! The fight continues, the life draining continues, but the outcome is going to be very close. Suddenly the Death Drake evolves into a Spectral Wyrm. Things went downhill from there.

You learn something every day. Today @ learned not to fight the Shadow Drake until you have Hold Life.

I'm surprised the drake was able to drain enough experience to evolve TWICE in a battle that only lasted about 20-30 moves.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

That's very surprising. I'd suggest replacing the shadow drake with another non-evolving monster from around the same dlvl.
                        My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Sideways
                          Knight
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ShadowTechnology
                          Does the Coffee Mode bonus for finding good/ego/artifact items stack with Lucky personality or other sources of the white aura?
                          It does; though the main reason you are likely to find good/ego/artifact items relatively fast in coffee-break mode is the monster drop quantity boost, not the item quality boost.

Comment

• Sideways
                            Knight
                            • Nov 2008

I'm ambivalent about whether monsters evolving in the arena is a problem; but I'll probably disallow both it and monsters getting polymorphed in the arena.

Comment

• Rudiment
                              Scout
                              • Aug 2017

Well, i think it is better leave the shadow drake on arena list because player must foresee such an outcome to not fight enemy without proper resistance.
                              I have a question about ninja class. I found weapon with Sharpness property. Does this property stack together with special ninja critical attack while hit from *hiding*?

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                                Swordsman
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Rudiment
                                Well, i think it is better leave the shadow drake on arena list because player must foresee such an outcome to not fight enemy without proper resistance.
                                I have a question about ninja class. I found weapon with Sharpness property. Does this property stack together with special ninja critical attack while hit from *hiding*?
                                I don't know about the damage effects, but I know I have seen the Sharpness messages in the same line with Surprise and Backstab messages.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎