X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Psi
    Targetting via macros has been broken since... erm... maybe when the menus became cursor driven.
    Maybe it will be fixed in 0.3.6
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• skunker
      Rookie
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Psi
      I don't think it will work. Targetting via macros has been broken since... erm... maybe when the menus became cursor driven. Interesting comment about the status area though - I don't remember noticing that when testing.
      You are right, it didn't work. My current character has the "study" tag and it doesn't work even with the inscription.
      ________
      Last edited by skunker; July 12, 2022, 18:17.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bandobras
        BTW, how to you set up emacs not to break Angband coding guidlines? I tried for months and failed.
        In case you're still interested, I think I've worked this out. You do 'C-c .', and return, which will get you a prompt for C style. Enter 'bsd' and return again; now the style is set correctly. Then select the whole buffer, go to the C menu and select 'Indent Line or Region' (there may be a key sequence for this, but I haven't looked yet). Repeat for the next file.

EDIT: In fact, C-x h will select the whole buffer and M-C-\ (ie Esc, C-\) will do the indent.
        Last edited by Nick; December 4, 2008, 10:52.

Comment

• Bandobras
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
          In case you're still interested
          Badly. But I'm afraid it breaks Angband coding guidlines, by, e.g., either changing tabs to spaces or, if you have tabs turned on, badly indenting with tabs (should be some tabs, rest spaces, is all tabs, until under 8 characters).

But then, if we can agree among us, emacs Angband hackers, to use spaces only plus bsd style, this would still be an improvement. One more thing: how deep indentation? 4 characters? This way we fork Angband coding standards, but then, it wasn't consistent between variants and developers for some time now.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bandobras
            Badly. But I'm afraid it breaks Angband coding guidlines, by, e.g., either changing tabs to spaces or, if you have tabs turned on, badly indenting with tabs (should be some tabs, rest spaces, is all tabs, until under 8 characters).
            OK, I guess I just have a better approximation to the guidelines than I had before. It'll suit me for now, though.

One more thing: how deep indentation? 4 characters?
            I'm planning to put O110u at 8; FA I'll probably continue to do in emacs default style; any patches I do for V will be at 8 and if anyone complains they can fix it themselves

Comment

• Stossel
              Rookie
              • Nov 2008

Tunneling

Just started playing FAangband and I came across the tunneling bug. However, turning on or off my num_lock doesn't seem to have any effect (it still crashes). I think this is because I've been using 10x14b font, as switching back to 8x12 allows me to tunnel (as long as num_lock is on).

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Stossel
                Just started playing FAangband and I came across the tunneling bug. However, turning on or off my num_lock doesn't seem to have any effect (it still crashes). I think this is because I've been using 10x14b font, as switching back to 8x12 allows me to tunnel (as long as num_lock is on).
                OK, that's interesting. Do you use different sizes of window for the two different fonts?

Comment

• Stossel
                  Rookie
                  • Nov 2008

OK, that's interesting. Do you use different sizes of window for the two different fonts?
                  Well I have to kinda. The window automatically resizes when you switch different size fonts. Making the 8x12 window bigger doesn't seem to have any effect, and neither does making the 10x14b window smaller.

On a side note, my game crashed when I tried to run while num_lock was off.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Stossel
                    Well I have to kinda. The window automatically resizes when you switch different size fonts. Making the 8x12 window bigger doesn't seem to have any effect, and neither does making the 10x14b window smaller.
                    Yeah, I didn't explain that well. I'm trying to narrow down where this problem could be arising, and was wondering whether window size/map size was related. At the moment my possible reasons are:
                    • Basic code error (apparently when the game is doing multiple commands without player input - repeat for tunnelling, running, etc) which the windows compile complains at but other OSes ignore;
                    • Error in the windows-specific code (again, arising when the game has control);
                    • Random sporadic error, which just happens to mostly show up when repeating stuff is going on (crashing on shop update or autosave, for example)

Any other suggestions welcome; someone actually finding the source of the problem, fixing it and sending me a patch would be really welcome

Comment

• Ignatius
                      Rookie
                      • Nov 2008

A question about resistance and magic usage

Hi

I'm trying out Faangband as a Maia mage, and trying to understand the resistance system.

Every item gives a % to some res ability, so if I'll get the full 100% is it the same as an immunity you could receive from the power rings at vanila?

A bug?
                      I've found a ring "resist fire" that made me vulnerable to fire for ~ 38 %!
                      Shouldn't it be cursed? If not, is it a bug?

Also can we get a higher % then 100%, and if so should that type of attack heal us instead of hurting us?

Regarding magic.
                      Vanila's magic missile gets stronger when the mage levels, while here it still gives the same 2d6 regardless of my level (currently 22).

"Tapping magical energy" is a great idea, but why the info it gives is "dam 20+d30" instead of "Replenish your mana something something"?

Thanks

P.S. still no Sound :-(
                      Last edited by Ignatius; December 23, 2008, 11:06.

Comment

• Psi
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

I'll answer what I can...
                        Originally posted by Ignatius
                        Every item gives a % to some res ability, so if I'll get the full 100% is it the same as an immunity you could receive from the power rings at vanila?
                        Yes and no. It gives *you* immunity from the element, but immunities in FA/O do not give full protection to your inventory.
                        A bug?
                        Depending on who you ask, that one is a feature... Personally I'm not a fan and have changed that in the 036 version I'll be releasing shortly.
                        Also can we get a higher % then 100%, and if so should that type of attack heal us instead of hurting us?
                        100% is the maximum.
                        Regarding magic.
                        Vanila's magic missile gets stronger when the mage levels, while here it still gives the same 2d6 regardless of my level (currently 22).
                        Magic missile does 2d4 at level 1, up to 2d9 at level 50. Though I think a change may have been backed out as it used to be damroll(4 + plev / 10, 3)) in 031 ie 4d3 - 9d3.
                        "Tapping magical energy" is a great idea, but why the info it gives is "dam 20+d30" instead of "Replenish your mana something something"?
                        That sounds like a bug.

Si

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

In fact, resistances multiply. So if you have an item with 40% resistance, you will take 60% of the normal damage; if you then get another item with 50% of the same resistance, that damage will be halved again, and you will take 30% of normal damage (so that's 70% resistance). It does make sense when you get used to it. Really.

A bug?
                          Not a bug, just a crummy item.

It would, but because of the resists multiplying you will never get over 100%.

Regarding magic.
                          It would have started at 2d4, and will go up again at level 30.

Beats me. It should say nothing, as the mana replenishment depends on the item.

Yeah, that's good and broken. I am a little surprised that no-one has complained before.

Comment

• Zikke
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2008

It would, but because of the resists multiplying you will never get over 100%.
                            Unfortunately this also means one will never truly reach 100%.
                            A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
                            A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
                            C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• buzzkill
                              Prophet
                              • May 2008

Just make your sound effects (not in public). Pre-packaged sounds can't match the power of your imagination. At least that's the line I always get form the ASCII crowd when I start grumbling about graphics.
                              www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                              My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
                                Just make your sound effects (not in public). Pre-packaged sounds can't match the power of your imagination. At least that's the line I always get form the ASCII crowd when I start grumbling about graphics.
                                Hey, now you're getting it!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎