Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arralen
    Swordsman
    • May 2007

Problem solved .. I hope - needs testing !

Looking through the fonts using Softy (font editor recommended by L.M.).

Only differences I found vs. 0.2.3 is that the new fonts have 96x96 dpi . So I set the 8X13X fon to 96dpi and everything seems fine !
    Attached Files
    No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
    Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
      Yes, I got this far.

Only differences I found vs. 0.2.3 is that the new fonts have 96x96 dpi . So I set the 8X13X fon to 96dpi and everything seems fine !
      But I didn't think of this! Well done - I have given it a quick test in XP and it seems fine, and I suspect also Vista (although I haven't checked thoroughly yet). In any case, I'll do some thorough checking now.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

OK, in fact (as you may have seen in my post on the Vanilla forum), this not only fixes the FA problem for XP, but also the blank walls Vista problem for every variant! You are officially a legend now.

Comment

• takkaria
          Veteran
          • Apr 2007

Indeed, you are a legend.
          takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Elrosk
            Rookie
            • Jul 2007

Mining collapse

Every time my poor Longbeard warrior tries to tunnel into anything other than a permanent rock or empty space, the game crashes. Tunneling into a monster or any type of rock triggers the crash.

Using Windows XP if it matters. Anyone else have the same issue? This is using the most recent version 0.34.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Elrosk
              Every time my poor Longbeard warrior tries to tunnel into anything other than a permanent rock or empty space, the game crashes. Tunneling into a monster or any type of rock triggers the crash.

Using Windows XP if it matters. Anyone else have the same issue? This is using the most recent version 0.34.
              I also came across this tunneling thing so I just turned on my .34, and have xp as well. I was able to pinpoint something that could be helpful... I noticed that if my numlock was on I could tunnel just fine, but if my numlock was off the game would crash. I also noticed that it didn't matter if my numlock was on or off if I tried tunneling in the town, but once in the wilderness it did.
              For what it's worth... ?? I have no idea how these games work.
              You are on something strange

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Elrosk

As HM says, I think numlock on is the correct workaround; there are unresolved issues with pref files in windows (especially XP, it seems) and turning numlock on permanently when playing seems to fix most of them.

Comment

• Elrosk
                  Rookie
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                  As HM says, I think numlock on is the correct workaround; there are unresolved issues with pref files in windows (especially XP, it seems) and turning numlock on permanently when playing seems to fix most of them.
                  Thanks! That works. Of course, I can't run with numlock on, but at least when I do need to tunnel, I can just hit numlock, then turn it off again. Playing a melee character without the ability to tunnel would have been brutal!

Comment

• buzzkill
                    Prophet
                    • May 2008

Ran into what might be a bug the other day. My Ent-Paladin, normally susceptible to fire (natural -30% resistance), found a 'ring of resist fire' which decreased his resistance to negative 71%. Apperantly it was a ring of resist fire -41%. I was able to 'wield' and 'take off' the ring without incident so I'm assuming it wasn't cursed, although I wasn't able to sell it in town. Can 'rings of resist' operate to the negative as this one did, or is it a bug?

Although a veteran of Rogue (Amiga) and Moria (C64), I'm new to FA and angband in general. The best of my 50 or so characters only achieved level 20, so feel free to educate me.

Playing FAangband 3.4 on Windows Vista (Vista SUCKS).
                    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Psi
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

That is currently a feature rather than a bug (there was a bug that enabled you to sell them previously!). You really have to keep an eye on those 'resist' items!

Comment

• Arralen
                        Swordsman
                        • May 2007

"Sorcery and Evocations" messed up ?!

For my Lvl 33 Dark-Elf Mage, it list spells as shown below. IMHO the fail rates for "Frost Ball" and higher spells are way to high - the char is rated up to 11 level higher than those spells ..
                        Attached Files
                        No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
                        Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

For my Lvl 33 Dark-Elf Mage, it list spells as shown below. IMHO the fail rates for "Frost Ball" and higher spells are way to high - the char is rated up to 11 level higher than those spells ..
                          Yes, Frost Ball and Recharge Item II are both noticeably higher than the other spells in this book; Identify in Incantations and Illusions is similar. I'm not sure why - this is how I inherited it from O. Mage spells are due for an overhaul in 0.4.0, so I'll look into it then.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2007

Quick question about a pet peeve of mine: Is it possible to turn off the menu that appears if you press <ENTER>?

It drives me nuts when stair-scumming (which, let's face it, you have to do a lot for the "advanced" races) that I frequently get the menu popup. I know it's possible to use other keys to clear messages, but I'm so used to using <ENTER> since it's a "no action, only clears message buffer" key (plus, it works exactly like that for all the variants I've ever tried).

Comment

• Zikke
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                              Quick question about a pet peeve of mine: Is it possible to turn off the menu that appears if you press <ENTER>?

It drives me nuts when stair-scumming (which, let's face it, you have to do a lot for the "advanced" races) that I frequently get the menu popup. I know it's possible to use other keys to clear messages, but I'm so used to using <ENTER> since it's a "no action, only clears message buffer" key (plus, it works exactly like that for all the variants I've ever tried).
                              I have been wondering the same thing on this variant and the couple others that use this menu. Seems like there could be a settings option to toggle it on/off. I have been hitting ESC for clearing text, but it's inconvenient
                              A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
                              A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
                              C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zikke
                                I have been wondering the same thing on this variant and the couple others that use this menu. Seems like there could be a settings option to toggle it on/off. I have been hitting ESC for clearing text, but it's inconvenient
                                Yes, that seems like a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎