X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HugoVirtuoso
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by chris
    EDIT: I almost forgot a rather big change: Many of the wilderness dungeon entrances are now guarded!
    Apparently, that was my idea a few years ago!
    My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• wobbly
      Prophet
      • May 2012

My defender blade keeps glowing red but has not revealed warning

Comment

• murphy
        Adept
        • Sep 2009

looking forward to trying out the changes. a couple of quick observations:

some scrolls seem to be already identified to start the game.

also is monster evolution missing from the new monster lore? i saw a snotling evolve into a snaga, but nothing was added to the snotling description

Comment

• Cold_Heart
          Adept
          • Mar 2012

I really, really enjoy the new monster lore UI and the fact that you don't need to research/probe monsters anymore. Probing may be a thing that works in other variants, but is too dangerous in poschengband when many, many enemies can and will just oneshot you, and running away from every monster you haven't probed or researched yet is... yeah you can call it being legit and hardcore but I would call it boredom.

I disagree that calling full monster lore cheating is fair. Most people play with r_info open, correct me if I'm wrong, if you don't, wow, you must be amazing, by the way can you list from memory all unicorn of order breaths?

New monster lore is a wonderful new addition, I welcome it. Should really be on by default and I know I'm not turning it off ever.

Also, maybe this thread should be renamed to 5.0.0?
          Last edited by Cold_Heart; June 25, 2016, 10:17.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Is the monster lore different from V player knowledge? (In V you can get all lore by opening a player in cheat-knowledge mode, since lore is shared across save files. V also has a player knowledge"database" first introduced in UnAngband and made trivially portable by yours truly.)

Comment

• Cold_Heart
              Adept
              • Mar 2012

On the topic of useless brandings: I think polish shield at CL 34 falls in this category as well... Either should be available much earlier, or should be able to polish any shield, not just nameless.

EDIT: also bump to this bug from 3.4.5, still present in 5.0.0 (and still not 100% reproducible but Blacks and the beaming gravity bolt still cause it sometimes).

EDIT2:

Originally posted by wobbly
              My defender blade keeps glowing red but has not revealed warning
              Same here with ego shield of reflection: magic missile was reflected but shield is still {?}
              Last edited by Cold_Heart; July 1, 2016, 14:59.

Comment

• wobbly
                Prophet
                • May 2012

I'm hallucinating yet my monster list is in a sub window is showing the correct monsters.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2012

Bug in 5.0.0:
                  When doppelganger character mimic into another form (AND also from other form to doppelganger), the screen doesn't properly display status unless refreshed (Ctrl-R).

e.g., Doppleganger character mimics Snotling, but the main screen doesn't show [Snotling] until I press Ctrl-R.

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• Tulip
                    Scout
                    • Apr 2014

How would I go about making a tileset for this?

edit:
                    i'd like to make the tiles 32x32
                    I'm fine with making the tiles themselves, but actually incorporating them into the game seems like it involves some knowledge of coding, which I lack in its entirety.
                    I also do not know which slot on a tilesheet would correspond to which monster
                    Last edited by Tulip; July 4, 2016, 06:34.

Comment

• wobbly
                      Prophet
                      • May 2012

The entrance guardian AI might need some work. I just scummed a bazooker who was sitting on the stairs. It was in reach of the ball at the end of my breathe weapon & just sat on the stairs while I breathed at it.

Edit: & again with an etheral dragon. It's breathe weapon should reach me but it's not firing back
                      Last edited by wobbly; July 5, 2016, 08:49.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

For starters just replace an existing tileset with yours. (It's one big file of 32x32 icons in a grid. background should be transparent (alpha=0) black.
                        Most of the remaining work (beyond the massive effort of making a tileset) is generating or writing the associated preference file. I don't know if Pos/Chen has the knowledge menus adopted. If so, you can do it from there and save the preference file. If not, you will have to write a new one by hand.

Originally posted by Tulip
                        How would I go about making a tileset for this?

Comment

• Tulip
                          Scout
                          • Apr 2014

I would be willing to start making a texture pack if someone other than the technologically-inept me could handle the coding aspects.

What dimensions do I make the file, how many sprites do I need, what space corresponds to what monster, etc

Obviously, this endeavor would take a long time, but there's no rush.

Here's an example of a tile. Gluttonous ghost, or some other undead horror if you recolor it.

Quick hell wyrm, because why not. I'll make a better one if this project becomes a thing.
                          Last edited by Tulip; July 6, 2016, 16:39.

Comment

• nikheizen
                            Adept
                            • Jul 2015

The dimensions would be 1024x3168 for 32x32 tiles. Divide by 2 for 16x16 and by 4 for 8x8.

I think what Pete was asserting is that in tiles mode you can choose which tile corresponds to which monster using the visual editor (accessed by %7v for monsters, for example, or %8v or %9v for features/items).

For the time being, scale down your tiles to 16x16 (512x1584 total size) after you are done working on them. Name your tileset 16x16.bmp and place it in the lib/xtra/graf directory. You should be able to select it using Options>Graphics>Adam Bolt's tiles. Once you've done this everything should turn black. Press %7v and set the glutton ghost and hell wyrm to their tiles using the tilepicker like I am doing in this image. I think that should work.

Later on we can probably make it so that it will recognize a 32x32.bmp as "Tulip's Tiles" or whatever you would like them to be called.

EDIT:
                            You can put the tiles for any monster wherever the hell you want by the way.
                            I recommend sorting by default glyph or something equally sensible, like monster number (this is not as easy to see and probably not as obvious for most players, so probably just sort it by glyph).
                            Last edited by nikheizen; July 6, 2016, 22:46.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2012

Warrior-Mage pseudo-ID capabilities suck compared to their Chaos-Warrior and Paladin counterparts.

Comment

• wobbly
                                Prophet
                                • May 2012

Speaking of pseudo-id, tried the weaponsmith out & it was a major annoyance not having instant pseudo-id when I could just id the pluses through the smithing menu. I assume it's less annoying later on when all your gear is already enchanted to max (+,+) but it certainly slowed down the start as I stopped for each item. Not sure why you didn't give them instant pseudo-id.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎