Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarvinPA
    Scout
    • Jul 2013

Found a fun challenge combo: Artemis Demigod Sorcerers don't get any books (they just get the bow and arrows that every Artemis character gets).

Fix here (there are a few other less drastic interactions, like Artemis High-Mages not getting their wand of magic missiles, Ninjas not getting any spikes, Snipers not getting bolts, etc).

Comment

• Nivim
      Apprentice
      • Jan 2014

I have a display bug, but I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere, so it probably has to do with my setup. However, my own experimentation has either gotten me nowhere or insured Poschengband 4.0.0 can't compile at all, so I'm asking for help.

(Organizational spoiler tag; Details.)
      [spoiler]The issue is that the space to the right of the player character symbol, the spaces to the right of each creature that has moved before using/canceling a [l]ook command, and the space to the right of each space around the rim of a lighting effect before u'/c' a [l]ook, are blank.

This means that I can't see any creature summoned east of me without using [l]ook, and every time a lot of monsters move I have to tap [l]ook on and off to see stuff again. The blank spaces appear even outside of LOS, creating an information leak where I can track creatures without using detection or telepathy.
      Moreover, creature light sources create semi-rings of dark spaces, with small light sources actually making it harder to see anything.

None of the Map Screen Options or Text Display Options have had any effect.
      Trying different versions of ncursesw other than 6 simply fails to compile.
      Running Archlinux.
      As mentioned at the beginning, this is version 4.0.0.[/spoiler]

Suggestions of anything people have done to troubleshoot Poschengband display problems are welcome.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Nivim
        I have a display bug, but I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere, so it probably has to do with my setup. However, my own experimentation has either gotten me nowhere or insured Poschengband 4.0.0 can't compile at all, so I'm asking for help.

(Organizational spoiler tag; Details.)
        [spoiler]The issue is that the space to the right of the player character symbol, the spaces to the right of each creature that has moved before using/canceling a [l]ook command, and the space to the right of each space around the rim of a lighting effect before u'/c' a [l]ook, are blank.

This means that I can't see any creature summoned east of me without using [l]ook, and every time a lot of monsters move I have to tap [l]ook on and off to see stuff again. The blank spaces appear even outside of LOS, creating an information leak where I can track creatures without using detection or telepathy.
        Moreover, creature light sources create semi-rings of dark spaces, with small light sources actually making it harder to see anything.

None of the Map Screen Options or Text Display Options have had any effect.
        Trying different versions of ncursesw other than 6 simply fails to compile.
        Running Archlinux.
        As mentioned at the beginning, this is version 4.0.0.[/spoiler]

Suggestions of anything people have done to troubleshoot Poschengband display problems are welcome.
        Any reason why you haven't try compiling 4.0.1 instead?
        My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Nivim
          Apprentice
          • Jan 2014

Because I haven't yet gone through the effort of reading and understanding every change made in it (more difficult what with changes getting bunched into a single commit). Breaking shoggoth speech was pretty bad, as was removing no-selling, so I'm extra leery of blindly pulling.
          I guess I should just use mpa-poschengband, since that's technically 4.0.1 and fixes the most glaring issues, but I would still have a lot of reading to do.

Maybe once I finish my Ring.

Edit: Messed with more things, and discovered my display bug was from the command-line option to have multiple windows/terminals, my full command being—
          ./poschengband -f -gcu -- -right 57x26,* -bottom *x20
          — where removing everything after -- 'fixes' it, at the cost of no additional terminals. Looking at main-gcu.c my syntax is correct (or at least as it says in the comment) so the issue is probably in the bunch of code that was completely re-written starting with that comment.
          I looked at the commit titles of 4.0.1 at least, and there aren't any pertaining to this.
          Last edited by Nivim; March 31, 2016, 04:33. Reason: Anti-double-posting.

Comment

• wobbly
            Prophet
            • May 2012

Minor convenience issue: Resting for the night at the inn doesn't heal your mount
            Last edited by wobbly; April 12, 2016, 09:38.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Note sure if this is mentioned, but there is a major inconsistency in the turncount between PosChengband 4.0.1 chardumps in .txt format vs. .html format. Chardumps in .html format have *way* higher turncounts than the .txt versions. For instance, have a look at the difference in turncounts between Hugo$oul 8356 (winning character with its chardump in .txt format) and my preceding 4.0.1 Hugo$ouls (#8355, #8354, #8353, etc.) (chardumps in .html format). The same would apply even for both types of chardumps given the same exact game day + game time.

And of course, the oook ladder doesn't recognize winners in .html chardump format. i.e. No GREEN highlights
              Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; April 13, 2016, 23:01.

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• wobbly
                Prophet
                • May 2012

Does auto-destroy not give a warrior the spellbook xp? I just auto-destroyed book of the unicorn & didn't seem to get any.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2012

I think the exp gain from destroying spellbooks only works with Paladins.

Comment

• krazyhades
                    Swordsman
                    • Jun 2013

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                    I think the exp gain from destroying spellbooks only works with Paladins.
                    Definitely incorrect. It works for warriors. I can't speak to the auto-destroy vs. manual destroy issue, but I know I've manually destroyed high books as a warrior for XP. (It's really low xp too so the selling cash is better)

Comment

• poschengbandplayer
                      Apprentice
                      • Apr 2014

hello!
                      Can you guys suggest me how to solve this issue?

How can I make -more- prompt go away in the latest version?If not,how can I atleast avoid it (through a macro or something) when resting?When I rest,my "clear mind" ability automatically sets in,which is awesome.What is not awesome though,is the spam of it. Pls help ;_;

Comment

• debo
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by poschengbandplayer
                        hello!
                        Can you guys suggest me how to solve this issue?

How can I make -more- prompt go away in the latest version?If not,how can I atleast avoid it (through a macro or something) when resting?When I rest,my "clear mind" ability automatically sets in,which is awesome.What is not awesome though,is the spam of it. Pls help ;_;
                        Automore is gone, RIP.
                        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• wobbly
                          Prophet
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by wobbly
                          Anyone know if !good works properly with weak pseudo-id? It's auto-destroying un-ided (enchanted) for my priest & both good & egos show as (enchanted) until ided with weak pseudo-id.
                          I think I found the answer to this. "You feel the Augmented Chainmail in your pack is enchanted. You can not destroy the Augmented Chainmail (special)". So it won't destroy artifacts but it's still auto destroying egos. That's an annoying hassle till you reach level 35 or find the stone of lore.

Edit: Worked it out ?!good does what I want
                          Last edited by wobbly; May 2, 2016, 16:02.

Comment

• chris
                            PosChengband Maintainer
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by clouded
                            By the way, yesterday I gave the Vapor Quest some Doom Quest II treatment. This quest always takes forever and it has annoying hidden monsters, so here's a new, smaller, more lethal version: https://bpaste.net/raw/7ecede0e7d99

The most notable monster remains (weird fume) and there's now a shimmering vortex which can shriek and wake up all the air elementals which will quickly swarm you. It's harder so I upped the danger level to 40 and also added six rings and six amulets as loot inside, it could be worth trying it early for those.

May update or make some new quests too, I did this one impulsively.
                            I got a 404 on this one ... I know, I'm a bit slow with no internet access these days. Perhaps you could add a new issue on the github project? I promise to eventually get around to those

Comment

• chris
                              PosChengband Maintainer
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Nivim
                              Because I haven't yet gone through the effort of reading and understanding every change made in it (more difficult what with changes getting bunched into a single commit). Breaking shoggoth speech was pretty bad, as was removing no-selling, so I'm extra leery of blindly pulling.
                              I guess I should just use mpa-poschengband, since that's technically 4.0.1 and fixes the most glaring issues, but I would still have a lot of reading to do.

Maybe once I finish my Ring.

Edit: Messed with more things, and discovered my display bug was from the command-line option to have multiple windows/terminals, my full command being—
                              ./poschengband -f -gcu -- -right 57x26,* -bottom *x20
                              — where removing everything after -- 'fixes' it, at the cost of no additional terminals. Looking at main-gcu.c my syntax is correct (or at least as it says in the comment) so the issue is probably in the bunch of code that was completely re-written starting with that comment.
                              I looked at the commit titles of 4.0.1 at least, and there aren't any pertaining to this.
                              I can't repro a problem, but your command line is wrong. You should be using -mgcu not -gcu. For example:
                              ./poschengband -f -mgcu -- -right 57x26,* -bottom *x20

Otherwise, its probably just standard Linux incompatibility issues ...

Comment

• chris
                                PosChengband Maintainer
                                • Jan 2008

A new beta release (4.0.2) is ready in the usual location. I really wanted to hold off releasing until this version is stable and balanced (that would be when I would call it 4.1) but after another flurry of development, I need to take a bit of a break. Perhaps by the end of the year?

So, what changed?

First of all, I see many people are playing with "mpa changes", so I decided to look and see what those might be. Aside from bug fixes, the 3 main issues I see are:
                                [1] Complete removal of monster lore
                                [2] Almost complete removal of item lore (Id = *Id* and everybody gets automatic *Id* of every object at CL25)
                                [3] No Selling

Well, I can't say I agree with these, but I went ahead and added an easy_id birth option. It is not so munckinesque as mpa, but it makes Id the same as *Id* and also grants instantaneous pseudo-id at CL1. The automatic Loremaster change is too much for me to stomach, though, so you'll need to suffer a bit!

I did nothing at the moment to address monster lore. I suppose the cheat_know option could be replaced by a birth option called easy_lore?

For no selling, I previously removed this option since, in my experience, it promotes/requires digging for gold. In fact, the one time I tried it, I spent almost 80% of my game time digging (in the end game), but I was using Angband's gold boosting code at the time (not mpa's) and I was also playing an old time "One and Done" devicer, where you needed to recall to town to recharge after killing each notable end game monster (cost 20k to 30k to recharge rockets, etc). So my experience was probably unfair.

But honestly, I don't understand why we need an option for no selling. Instead, I think the problem might be the gold distribution. As monsters grow more powerful, they stop dropping gold. This is considered a "bonus". Also, deeper chests don't drop gold at all. This means your only sources of gold in the late game are digging and the occasional floor drop, along with a handful of monsters like hydras.

For this release, I boosted the amount of gold drops from monsters and chests, but *not* from digging. (I even made digging less effective.) Also, DROP_GOOD and DROP_GREAT monsters now usually drop (extra) gold as well. You should be finding much more gold than before, and digging should only be considered as an early game option or just as a casual diversion to pass the time as you wander down long corridors ...

So that we can make intelligent judgments, I added statistics for this release displaying how much gold you find versus how much you get from selling, etc. My current character is finding about 50% as much gold as that gained from selling, which seems to negate the need for a no_selling option at all (but I made this change only yesterday, so my experience is very limited).

Pack usage is a gameplay choice, and if you want to use more and sell less, you should be able to do so, but there should be consequences to this. But this playstyle should be possible as well, and I don't think it was before I boosted the gold drop amounts. So play with the changes and let me know what you think ... I'd like the distribution of gold gained to be balanced, perhaps 33% gold found and 66% from selling? If selling is too overweighted, we can boost the drop amounts a bit more or decrease the resale values of objects to even things out.

I also grabbed a bunch of bug fixes from mpa. I'd prefer not to get pull requests, since they invariably rot to the point of mega merge conflicts by the time I get to them, and I end up spending more time figuring out a merge than it would take to implement myself. Also, when I access the internet, it is for a restricted amount of time (2 hours) which means I simply don't have enough time to play with github. Issues would be nice ... But it might take me months to a year or so to get to them. Please be patient

Next of all, I did some work with the wilderness, including:
                                [1] I fixed the 555 and 666 bugs. Talk about unanticipated consequences from a minor code change! Wow. Sorry about that ... And if you were enjoying these as a feature, I'm sure they'll show up shortly on the mpa branch
                                [2] The wilderness is now more difficult. Be careful, especially early on. Monsters are much more alert and will act over longer distances on the surface, so you are likely to get into trouble. This change has not been thoroughly playtested yet ... I no longer scum the surface like I used to.

Penultimately, I did alot of work on objects, especially on object distribution. This is a major gameplay rebalance effort. You might want to finish playing out on 4.0.1 before upgrading, as the early game feel will be much different. Speed and Spellbooks have been addressed, so the need for 555 and 666 exploits should be mitigated. Rockets *should* be rare, and end game devices are OP, so are intentionally hard to get. _Healing is still a bit deep, but have you tried _Holiness lately?

Finally, I recoded the Weaponsmith. This is a very enjoyable Hengband classic, and I thought it could do with a bit (actually a lot) of love, especially in the UI department. I'm still playtesting this one, so there may be future changes, but you might want to check this class out. (You won't be able to upgrade Weaponsmiths from old versions, though). The Judgment power has been removed and Smithing is now a class power rather than a hijack of the 'm' command. When you smith an object, you automatically judge its quality (pseudo-id until CL10, then id until CL30, then *id*). You can view your essences on the Character Sheet (Cee) or using the Class Extra Knowledge command (~x). Also, on the smithing top level menu, you can look at your current essences (L). Absorption is available from the Smithing command, of course, but it also is applied automatically whenever you destroy an object. So, the autodestroyer is your friend

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎