X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krazyhades
    Swordsman
    • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
    ..always check piles of rubble for items..in sangband I once found Ringil under a pile of rubble, some rooms also have hidden items that aren't visible until you walk over them as well so remember to check throughly.
    I can't speak for Sangband, but in Vanilla, items in rubble are generated when you clear the rubble, and therefore do not factor into level feelings. I still clear rubble for the drop chance (once I know that losing the block in the corridor won't cost me a needed ?Phase to safety), but it is divorced from level feeling.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
      Knight
      • May 2007

Originally posted by krazyhades
      I can't speak for Sangband, but in Vanilla, items in rubble are generated when you clear the rubble, and therefore do not factor into level feelings. I still clear rubble for the drop chance (once I know that losing the block in the corridor won't cost me a needed ?Phase to safety), but it is divorced from level feeling.
      You don't have to dig the pile of ruble in Sang to pass the obstacle you merely move over the grid, Once you walk over the ruble you generally find an item sometimes, whether the item is generated at the point of walk over I have no clue. The item could be there already if it is "hidden" until you move over the item on the floor,just a like a trap hiding an item, or it could be as you say, generated on walk over or removal of the ruble. As far as Sang is coded in this I have no idea, the maintainer could tell us more if he happend to drop by sometime....

Comment

• Zireael
        Adept
        • Jul 2011

Refreshing the thread since I've found out that the Android port also has Sangband.

Any tips on how to make a survivable character, ranger-style?

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
          Knight
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Zireael
          Refreshing the thread since I've found out that the Android port also has Sangband.

Any tips on how to make a survivable character, ranger-style?
          Thats one class I always meant to try but never did, I know for some of my classes I had to pump a lot of skill points into some form of archery to accuratley to start hitting creatures reliably.Probably race ability would be a big help, so you don't have to pump so much into archery at first to be usable. I think a S type ranger would be very similar to an O type ranger, the spells set are very similar. I wish Camlost would come back and start working on Sangband again, an updated Sang with the Angband 3.5.0 code base would be awsome with the many improvements to Vanilla lately.

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
            Thats one class I always meant to try but never did, I know for some of my classes I had to pump a lot of skill points into some form of archery to accuratley to start hitting creatures reliably.Probably race ability would be a big help, so you don't have to pump so much into archery at first to be usable. I think a S type ranger would be very similar to an O type ranger, the spells set are very similar. I wish Camlost would come back and start working on Sangband again, an updated Sang with the Angband 3.5.0 code base would be awsome with the many improvements to Vanilla lately.
            That would be very very poor timing on his part, since the codebase is about to change beyond all recognition. This is Nick punishing the world's variant maintainers for what we did to him after he updated FA to 3.1.2's codebase and then to 3.2.0 and then gave up ...
            "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• debo
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Magnate
              That would be very very poor timing on his part, since the codebase is about to change beyond all recognition. This is Nick punishing the world's variant maintainers for what we did to him after he updated FA to 3.1.2's codebase and then to 3.2.0 and then gave up ...
              shhh

just imagine how good the look on his face would be when he finished all his work and then was like,

Code:
              git checkout my_work_of_incomparable_beauty
              git pull origin master
              echo 'OHMYGODAOIDSHASOIDHSAOISHDA'
              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Magnate
                Well, if you look around at the currently (or conceivably) updating variants, you have
                • PosChengband, NPPAngband and (if you want to include it as a variant) Sil, none of which are likely to be downstream from current V;
                • danaris' incipient variant, which is based off the new codebase as it evolves;
                • various others which may update again, but for the most part have forked from V a long time ago and are never going to try to update their interface from V;
                • FAangband, Oangband.

So what I actually seem to be doing is shooting myself comprehensively in the foot, probably with one of debo's rockets.

What I want to claim I'm doing is making life easier for future variant maintainers; I think the one thing I can be really confident I am achieving is making life difficult for the devteam
                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Zireael
                  Adept
                  • Jul 2011

So what I actually seem to be doing is shooting myself comprehensively in the foot, probably with one of debo's rockets.
                  LOL, made me roll on the floor

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍