X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Psi
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
    - Vampires teleport into the back of character while sneaking upon him?
    Observed that with the "monster detection spell" .. at first, it came after me while I was retreating, searching for a long corridor to have a good field of fi... I mean, spellcasting .. and all of a sudden, the "V" showed up in roughly the same distance (8 squares) but the opposite direction, lurking right behind the next corner in the direction I was moving?!
    Not sure I quite understand what you are saying, but Vampires certainly blink around.

- Invisible monsters (clear somewhats, shadow drakes) do not show up with the "Detect Monsters" spell?
    Invisible monsters don't show up. If they are evil, then detect evil will work. Otherwise you need detect invisible.

- Pseudo-ID doesn't seem to work for mages .. I'm lugging a short bow, a cutlass and 2 rings around now for hundreds, if not more than thousand turns, but no IDing happens?!
    Pseudo-id is very slow for mages. However if the object is {average} it will never pseudo-id for a mage (or any class with weak pseudo)

- special level of "land of warlords" (or whatever) and "drums of moria" appear in Amon Rudh ? http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=645
    That can appear in any dungeon - I was most surprised to get one when falling into the Underworld once.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Is this supposed to happen ?

- Vampires teleport into the back of character while sneaking upon him?
      Observed that with the "monster detection spell" .. at first, it came after me while I was retreating, searching for a long corridor to have a good field of fi... I mean, spellcasting .. and all of a sudden, the "V" showed up in roughly the same distance (8 squares) but the opposite direction, lurking right behind the next corner in the direction I was moving?!
      Yes - the "blink towards" spell just lands the monster anywhere near the player.

- Invisible monsters (clear somewhats, shadow drakes) do not show up with the "Detect Monsters" spell?
      That's right. Mages currently don't get Detect Invisible. I'm planning to rework their spells some time soon - so any criticisms or suggestions are welcome.

- Pseudo-ID doesn't seem to work for mages .. I'm lugging a short bow, a cutlass and 2 rings around now for hundreds, if not more than thousand turns, but no IDing happens?!
      It does happen, but very rarely.

- special level of "land of warlords" (or whatever) and "drums of moria" appear in Amon Rudh ?
      Yes, these can turn up in any dungeon. I'm planning to have wilderness themed levels at some point; I was only thinking of new ones, but now you mention it I think the warlords one should be converted to wilderness.

And, to answer another of your questions, player ghosts are removed when you leave a level. I think.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Psi
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
        And, to answer another of your questions, player ghosts are removed when you leave a level. I think.
        They are... but that doesn't stop them being regenerated when you re-enter the level. Note that you don't always get the ghost talking either! You can check for sure by looking at your monster memory. If there is an entry for the player ghost then they are on the level with you... so beware.

Comment

• Arralen
          Swordsman
          • May 2007

Vampire
          It teleported from a point ~8 squares away "to the north" and "in front of me" (= the direction I was moving into) into my back (where I was retreating to after I detected it. Both locations where out of sight to me the whole time. Surely not the "blink towards you"-behaviour that e.g. Tengu show.
          Very nasty and intelligent - especially that it lurked around the next corner. If I didn't have monster detection, it have caught me at range=0 for sure.
          I just wonder if this is really intended behaviour or just a by-product of monsters being able to cast out-of-sight ?!

Detect Monster / See Invisible
          I would think of the first as a "strategic" spell which reveals independently of (line of) sight, like temporary telepathy. The 2nd one seems to be more "tactically", giving "see invisible" for a certain amount of time. Does it detect ivisible monsters at greater range and out of line of sight?

Pseudo-ID
          4 non-average item and what must have been 10.000 turns all in all - yet no pseudo-ID ...

Special level
          Yes, "warlords" looks very much like wilderness.
          But "Drums of Moria" in Amon Rudh is very much unappropiate. In fact, does "Drums of Moria" fit into the first age at all?? However, I think such special levels should be restricted to the proper location/dungeon.
          And starting all monsters awake only means that a good bunch of character/class combinations have to leave the level emidiatly to avoid getting killed on the spot
          No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
          Never. Ever.

Comment

• Psi
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Vampire
            It teleported from a point ~8 squares away "to the north" and "in front of me" (= the direction I was moving into) into my back (where I was retreating to after I detected it. Both locations where out of sight to me the whole time. Surely not the "blink towards you"-behaviour that e.g. Tengu show.
            Very nasty and intelligent - especially that it lurked around the next corner. If I didn't have monster detection, it have caught me at range=0 for sure.
            I just wonder if this is really intended behaviour or just a by-product of monsters being able to cast out-of-sight ?!
            I'm pretty certain there is no real intelligence in it. They just blink near to you.
            Detect Monster / See Invisible
            I would think of the first as a "strategic" spell which reveals independently of (line of) sight, like temporary telepathy. The 2nd one seems to be more "tactically", giving "see invisible" for a certain amount of time. Does it detect ivisible monsters at greater range and out of line of sight?
            A potion of Detect Invisible gives fixed duration SeeInv, whilst a scroll of Detect Invisible detects all invisible in your detection radius.
            Pseudo-ID
            4 non-average item and what must have been 10.000 turns all in all - yet no pseudo-ID ...
            I'm not sure quite how this works without code diving, but a warrior's base chance of pseudoID is 9000, a rogue is 25000, whilst a mage is 240000 (smaller being better!). Hence you can go a *long* time without it happening.
            Special level
            Yes, "warlords" looks very much like wilderness.
            But "Drums of Moria" in Amon Rudh is very much unappropiate. In fact, does "Drums of Moria" fit into the first age at all?? However, I think such special levels should be restricted to the proper location/dungeon.
            And starting all monsters awake only means that a good bunch of character/class combinations have to leave the level emidiatly to avoid getting killed on the spot
            Personally I skip them all and would rather it was an option I could turn off. They are fun at first, but of little value for the time they take to complete. Only recent time I have done one was to genocide all demons as a Necromancer on the demon level and then collect the loot!

Comment

• Bandobras
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Hi Nick!

I tried to compile 0.3.3 on Linux and I partly succeeded (Makefile.std failed, but ./configure --enable-x11 --disable-sdl did not). However I get squares instead of fonts and I get a lot of beeps with "no more room for buttons" messages.

My x11-settings.prf settings follow. Removing the file does not help, probably because I have the fonts declared in my environmts, too, for other variants, which work perfectly. BTW, V does not cope with the fonts, too, but compiles OK from Makefile.std and does not beep at me.

# FAangband X11 settings

TERM_WINS=2

# Term 0
              AT_X_0=163
              AT_Y_0=0
              COLS_0=80
              ROWS_0=50
              IBOX_0=1
              IBOY_0=1
              FONT_0=-adobe-courier-bold-r-normal-*-25-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

# Term 1
              AT_X_1=163
              AT_Y_1=0
              COLS_1=80
              ROWS_1=50
              IBOX_1=1
              IBOY_1=1
              FONT_1=-adobe-courier-bold-r-normal-*-25-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bandobras
                I tried to compile 0.3.3 on Linux and I partly succeeded (Makefile.std failed, but ./configure --enable-x11 --disable-sdl did not). However I get squares instead of fonts and I get a lot of beeps with "no more room for buttons" messages.

My x11-settings.prf settings follow. Removing the file does not help, probably because I have the fonts declared in my environmts, too, for other variants, which work perfectly. BTW, V does not cope with the fonts, too, but compiles OK from Makefile.std and does not beep at me.
                Yes, I haven't really kept Makefile.std up to date. Possibly you could use the V one - maybe with some small changes.

As for the environment settings, they mostly seem unfamiliar to me. I use similar ones to at the start of main-x11.c - this sort of thing:

Code:
                setenv ANGBAND_X11_FONT_5 6x13
                setenv ANGBAND_X11_AT_X_5 817
                setenv ANGBAND_X11_AT_Y_5 520
                setenv ANGBAND_X11_COLS_5 76
                setenv ANGBAND_X11_ROWS_5 24

Comment

• Bandobras
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Ha, I figured I should use the fonts at lib/xtra/font, but only some of them work: 6x13 and 10x20 in particular. But I need the bigger ones and the game says:

./faangband: Couldn't load the requested font. (16x25)

./faangband: Couldn't load the requested font. (12x20b)

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bandobras
                    Ha, I figured I should use the fonts at lib/xtra/font, but only some of them work: 6x13 and 10x20 in particular. But I need the bigger ones and the game says:

./faangband: Couldn't load the requested font. (16x25)

./faangband: Couldn't load the requested font. (12x20b)

It seems that currently main-x11.c doesn't use the fonts in lib/xtra/font - it just uses whatever X fonts it can find. This is true for all *bands but NPP. I will probably incorporate the NPP system for next version.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

Good plan. NPP fonts are much, much more reliable--in Windows as well. And you can put accents on Amon Rudh and the like.

Comment

• Psi
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                        And you can put accents on Amon Rudh and the like.
                        However, note that that would probably mess up the WinCE port that currently uses bitmaps instead of a proper font for text.

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Psi
                          However, note that that would probably mess up the WinCE port that currently uses bitmaps instead of a proper font for text.
                          I was wondering about that - my guess is that it could be done so that it works where it works and doesn't affect anything where it doesn't.

Comment

• Arralen
                            Swordsman
                            • May 2007

missing door in vault ?
                            N:95:Lesser Vault (Human Town) - DRL
                            .. the house at x=17-21 and y=11-16 (from top left), the one with the "class '7'" item location, does not have any outward door, but 3 human inhabitants ... how are they supposed to get out ?
                            No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
                            Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

missing door in vault ?
                              N:95:Lesser Vault (Human Town) - DRL
                              .. the house at x=17-21 and y=11-16 (from top left), the one with the "class '7'" item location, does not have any outward door, but 3 human inhabitants ... how are they supposed to get out ?
                              It's the town jail, and they've been bricked in

Comment

• Remuz
                                Apprentice
                                • Apr 2007

Hi,

I have been trying that variant, and I want to say that I am impressed. Everything is very nice, good ideas are numerous, and the interface has been greatly improved from vanilla or other variants.

I especially like the fact that that all term windows belong to one big window. Thanks to that, I don't have 5 or 6 labels in my task bar under Linux. Also, being able to use the mouse in lots of places is really nice. Since I play on a laptop, I don't have a numpad, so I use mouse movement a lot.
                                This is definitely the way to go in my opinion. Congratulations!

A couple remarks :
                                1) It would be nice to be able to setup a term window to show a complete clickable list of available commands. I know commands can be accessed by pressing 'Enter' from the main window, bu that solution involves too many key presses to be usable, I think (even if it is nice to have it, so I am not lost if I would ever forget the key press for an action).

2) I don't really like the default behavior for the space bar. When buying or using things, the space bar behaves as 'select the first entry'. When learning spells, it shows all available choices. Considering that this functionality is redundant with the 'Enter' key (which is already easily accessible on the keyboard), I would rather have it redundant with the '*' key (which I have to look for in my keyboard), ie show available choices. This is safer, at least (for what it's worth, this is the behavior in tome, and I kind of lack it).

Anyway, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍