X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

FAangband 0.3.3

Surprise! FAangband 0.3.3 is now available as source, windows binary, WinCE binary, WinCE source or Mac OSX for download from

- thanks as usual to Pav for hosting.

The main change here is the inclusion of two new modes of play - ironman and thrall modes. Ironman is roughly as you would expect, although with a few tweaks to allow th player to get through towns along the way, and to progress from the bottom of dungeons. Thrall mode is a little like ToME lost souls, and a little more like Steamband wonderland mode - the player is dumped in the desert outside Angband with some survival equipment, and no home to recall to.

There are also a few bugfixes. More detail below.

Features
    --------

Introduced two new modes of play

- Ironman: The player can never go to an area of less danger (except necessary
    towns, which are completely empty). When a dungeon guardian is killed, a
    portal becomes available to go from the bottom of the current dungeon to a
    choice of locations of the right level.

- Thrall: The player is a thrall who has just escaped through the gate of
    Angband; homeless, standing in the desert and unable to recall until he or
    she can reach a town to make a home.

Bugfixes
    --------

- show_choice option now works again (Seany Clayton)

- NO_ORDER flag works again (so stat potions can't be ordered from the
    Merchant) (Si Griffin)

- monsters in trees are safer from NON-(elves/nature lore chars) rather than
    the opposite (karthoum@forum)

- command menu box is now wiped properly in big/dbl/trptile modes (Si Griffin)

- item selection for throwing brings up equipment immediately

- selecting two specialties at once no longer makes the second one wrong
    sometimes (Si Griffin)
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

...and the bugs are rolling in already. Quality squelch doesn't work. I'll probably put out a bugfix in a couple of days, especially since there's probably another bug in shops, too.

Comment

• KarlM
      Rookie
      • May 2007

How to compile?

Hi

I'm trying to compile/install 0.3.3 with gcc 4.1.2 on a fairly standard debian system.

I did configure, make, make install.

Configure got me:
      Configuration:

Install path: /usr/local

-- Frontends --
      - Curses Yes
      - GTK 2.x Disabled
      - X11 Yes
      - SDL No; missing libraries

Make got me:
      mk/objective.mk:267: .depend: No such file or directory
      repeated several times, plus a couple warnings.

Make Install got me:
      INSTALL faangband (-> ..)
      touch: cannot touch `./lib//apex/scores.raw': No such file or directory
      make[3]: *** [install-posthook] Error 1
      make[2]: *** [install] Error 2
      make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
      make: *** [install] Error 2

Any clues?
      "You hit Morgoth, Lord of Darkness. You have slain Morgoth, Lord of Darkness. Congratulations, you have won the game. The Great Wyrm of Balance breathes chaos. You die."

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by KarlM
        Any clues?
        Less than I would like. I have just used the Vanilla build system, and I actually get the same problem (with Kubuntu) on trying to install. My approach is just to copy the executable to the top level directory and play. I really should try to get this sorted out one day...

Have you checked to see whether it has actually failed to install, or whether it is just whinging at you?

Personally, too, I would recommend getting the SDL libraries and using that module, although x11 is fine too.

Comment

• KarlM
          Rookie
          • May 2007

It was failing to install. It couldnt find lib/apex etc. I tried telling configure various things but no luck.

'cd src; make localinstall' works

I couldn't get SDL to work either...
          But the X11 version works great

Ta
          "You hit Morgoth, Lord of Darkness. You have slain Morgoth, Lord of Darkness. Congratulations, you have won the game. The Great Wyrm of Balance breathes chaos. You die."

Comment

• takkaria
            Veteran
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
            Less than I would like. I have just used the Vanilla build system, and I actually get the same problem (with Kubuntu) on trying to install. My approach is just to copy the executable to the top level directory and play. I really should try to get this sorted out one day...

Have you checked to see whether it has actually failed to install, or whether it is just whinging at you?

Personally, too, I would recommend getting the SDL libraries and using that module, although x11 is fine too.
            I'll take a look into it at some point soon.
            takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
              I'll take a look into it at some point soon.
              Thanks. You should note, though, that "Vanilla build system" here refers to the snapshot I took of it some months ago; the problem may be something you've already fixed.

Comment

• zaimoni
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                Thanks. You should note, though, that "Vanilla build system" here refers to the snapshot I took of it some months ago; the problem may be something you've already fixed.
                The mv crash and subsequent no-op is current in MingW32/command line build (includes V SVN).

I haven't bothered to try to fix it because it might be a MingW32-specific bash bug: the actual failure is in the Win32 CreateProcess. The Ubuntu bug sounds different.
                Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
                Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
                Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Bugfixed versions of FA033 have now been uploaded to the site. Bugs fixed include quality squelch, stores only selling for max of purse, {!*}-style inscriptions not working, artifacts trying to appear on sval-squelching lists, crashes (particularly in WinCE) on entering 'C' screen in thrall mode. Note that keymaps still don't play nicely with the menu code when show_lists is on - turning it off fixes the problem, though.

Comment

• Arralen
                    Swordsman
                    • May 2007

Doors! Doors?
                    The following screenshot is from my ongoing 0.3.0 game, but I found no entry in the bugfix/changes-list that said that dungeon generation has been altered .. obviously, there has been a vault placed in a way that it cuts off a connecting corridor .. I just detected doors & stairs as you can see from the screenshot.
                    What you can't see from the pic (at least, the JPG the forum turns it into) is the fact that right in front of my @ there's an open door in the corridor ..
                    Attached Files
                    No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
                    Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
                      Doors! Doors?
                      .. obviously, there has been a vault placed in a way that it cuts off a connecting corridor .. I just detected doors & stairs as you can see from the screenshot.
                      Yes, the generation does sometimes leave a door next to a vault wall. I don't think this is a problem unless it makes the level disconnected - which it doesn't in this case (trust me).

Nice character, btw.

Comment

• Slonk
                        Rookie
                        • Sep 2007

Crash Bug

I was running my Dwarf Paladin into AMon Rudh, when I noticed my Cloak [1+0] marked as {squelch}. I went into the options menu (=), hit 'S' for squelch options, and hit 'Q' for quality levels. At this point the game crashed. Upon restart, I was at my last save position in Belegost and tried it again. Same crash two more times. I'm using 0.3.2, so I don't know if this got cleaned up in 3.3.

Edit: I upgraded to 0.3.3 and had no problems.
                        Last edited by Slonk; March 9, 2008, 19:14.

Comment

• Seany C
                          Swordsman
                          • Apr 2007

Two very minor buglets on Windows XP:

1) Going to the 'M' map in Thrall mode (v nice in a terrifying sort of way - I don't envy Gwindor) produces lots of "@" all over the right-hand side of the map - it doesn' t happen in 'vanilla' mode.

2) Using the browse spellbook command and flicking between spell descriptions, any 2nd line descriptions don't get erased when flicking to the next spell.

Good work, though - looking forward to seeing if there's a combo that can get back to Gondolin (or Menegroth) from the thrall start point...

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                            Knight
                            • Apr 2007

I also have the extra @ symbol showing up in Thrall mode. As I'm stairscumming for dragonflies I notice the @ pops up on where the stairs were on the previous screen, if this helps locate the problem at all. I'm not sure about the second bug... what's a spellbook?
                            You are on something strange

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Slonk
                              I went into the options menu (=), hit 'S' for squelch options, and hit 'Q' for quality levels. At this point the game crashed.
                              Yes, quality squelch was completely broken in 0.3.2, and should be fine now.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎