X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Seany C
    1) Going to the 'M' map in Thrall mode (v nice in a terrifying sort of way - I don't envy Gwindor) produces lots of "@" all over the right-hand side of the map - it doesn' t happen in 'vanilla' mode.
    Yes, this one is lots of fun I have absolutely no clue why it happens. In my case, the @s persist in the same places as you go up and down stairs; quitting and restarting the game removes them for good, though. The game actually believes there are players there (for display purposes), but I don't think it has any effect on gameplay. Maybe it's just mirages in the desert.

2) Using the browse spellbook command and flicking between spell descriptions, any 2nd line descriptions don't get erased when flicking to the next spell.
    That again. Thanks, I'll clear that up.

Good work, though - looking forward to seeing if there's a combo that can get back to Gondolin (or Menegroth) from the thrall start point...
    My best is cl18 - Adan Ranger of all things.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Psi
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Seany C
      Good work, though - looking forward to seeing if there's a combo that can get back to Gondolin (or Menegroth) from the thrall start point...
      Surely you should just be diving for the win. Starting at Angband saves you at least 200k turns...

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Psi
        Surely you should just be diving for the win. Starting at Angband saves you at least 200k turns...
        Saved me more than that - I went through 12 chars in about 20 minutes.

In other news, the development frenzy is continuing. I've done dragons (that was so much fun) and Morgoth, and implemented terrain descriptions and flags a la Sangband (although not really done anything with them yet). More terrain stuff, territorial monsters and maybe some themed wilderness levels (and more wilderness vaults) are the next few things on the list.

Comment

• Arralen
          Swordsman
          • May 2007

Just found "The Soft Leather Armour of Erisin [4,+18] (+3 to stealth)" .. but I can't find it in the "edit" files ?!

Strangely, while IDENTIFYing with the spell from the mage book "Incantations and Illusions" gave me no info other then the base modifiers and the name, after I equipped it I see all the resistances in the "C"haracter view screen.

Seems it has ~40 acid,~30 elec, ~60 dark and 100 (!) cold resist .. and weighs only 4.0 lbs .. is there any better armor for a mage I could find at Dlvl25 ??

I wonder, though if I'm really supposed to get that different info from looking at the item and at the character screen ?

PS: I think Ariandi is dead now, isn't she ? ;-)
          Last edited by Arralen; March 10, 2008, 22:02.
          No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
          Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
            Just found "The Soft Leather Armour of Erisin [4,+18] (+3 to stealth)" .. but I can't find it in the "edit" files ?!
            That'll be a randart, then.

Strangely, while IDENTIFYing with the spell from the mage book "Incantations and Illusions" gave me no info other then the base modifiers and the name, after I equipped it I see all the resistances in the "C"haracter view screen.
            Yes this is due to me not being able to make up my mind about ID. I'm considering dropping *ID* altogether, but so far have just left it so that the resistances leak out into the 'C' screen.

Seems it has ~40 acid,~30 elec, ~60 dark and 100 (!) cold resist .. and weighs only 4.0 lbs .. is there any better armor for a mage I could find at Dlvl25 ??
            That 100% cold resist may be a bug - if it shows as a * on the resistance grid then it's an immunity and intended to be; if it's a +, then it's a resistance that's got increased to 100%, which shouldn't happen.

PS: I think Ariandi is dead now, isn't she ? ;-)

Just being a mage is enough for that

Comment

• Arralen
              Swordsman
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
              Yes this is due to me not being able to make up my mind about ID. I'm considering dropping *ID* altogether, but so far have just left it so that the resistances leak out into the 'C' screen.
              I should get myself some confusion resist

That 100% cold resist may be a bug - if it shows as a * on the resistance grid then it's an immunity and intended to be; if it's a +, then it's a resistance that's got increased to 100%, which shouldn't happen.
              It's a bug, then.
              Savegame attached.

Just being a mage is enough for that
              Seems so .. obviously, even "legendary stealth" does not help any more at DLvl 25 /CLvl 26 .. all kinds of monster are jumping at her as soon as she comes down the stairs or recalls into the level. Strange thing is - that didn't happen just 2 levels before ?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Arralen; March 11, 2008, 07:36.
              Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

It's a bug, then.
                Savegame attached.
                Thanks. Fixed now.

Comment

• Psi
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Seems so .. obviously, even "legendary stealth" does not help any more at DLvl 25 /CLvl 26 .. all kinds of monster are jumping at her as soon as she comes down the stairs or recalls into the level. Strange thing is - that didn't happen just 2 levels before ?
                  I'm guessing your uber-armour also has aggravation... unlucky.

Comment

• Arralen
                    Swordsman
                    • May 2007

Ok, I must admit, I cheated a bit .. backed up the savegame and Quitted to be able to eXamine the armor completely .. and found what might be another bug, as it says:

It increases your stealth by 3.
                    It provides resistance to acid(60&#37, electricity(45%), and darkness(60%).
                    It allows you to see invidible monsters.
                    It cannot be damaged by acid, electricity, fire, or frost.

Nothing about the cold resistance, which shows up as "+" and "100%" on the "C"haracter screen. Shouldn't it either tell me "cold(100%)" or "cold(immune)" or something like that? I wonder if the resist works at all, and how far .. where are those cold hounds if you need them ?!? (Thinking 'bout it .. IIRC I killed a young white dragon lately which didn't breathe at all at my char .. smart enough to tell that she is 100% resisting?)

Interestingly, the "see invisible" is not shown on the C screen with ID only .. only the resists are .. Nick, you should really make up your mind about IDing, this is really confusing ;-)
                    Personally, I like the idea of not knowing anything at a glance, but lugging tons of expensive scrolls around until staves show up isn't really exciting either. Maybe make pseudoID = ID, remove all ID spells/scrolls etc and have only *ID* for really accurate magical examination?

Btw., there's nothing shown about aggravation either .. therefore it must be the build-in aggravation of the mages class I guess ?!
                    Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Ok, I must admit, I cheated a bit .. backed up the savegame and Quitted to be able to eXamine the armor completely .. and found what might be another bug, as it says:

It increases your stealth by 3.
                      It provides resistance to acid(60%), electricity(45%), and darkness(60%).
                      It allows you to see invidible monsters.
                      It cannot be damaged by acid, electricity, fire, or frost.

Nothing about the cold resistance, which shows up as "+" and "100%" on the "C"haracter screen. Shouldn't it either tell me "cold(100%)" or "cold(immune)" or something like that? I wonder if the resist works at all, and how far .. where are those cold hounds if you need them ?!? (Thinking 'bout it .. IIRC I killed a young white dragon lately which didn't breathe at all at my char .. smart enough to tell that she is 100% resisting?)
                      Having examined your savefile, I can tell you that you have cold immunity. To give more technical detail than you probably want, this armour actually has the RES_COLD flag, but at a percentage of 100, which is what confused the info screen.

Interestingly, the "see invisible" is not shown on the C screen with ID only .. only the resists are ..
                      Yeah, technically you should not see the resist either, but I didn't want to write code to stop them being seen if I was just going to take it out again later

Nick, you should really make up your mind about IDing, this is really confusing ;-)
                      Oh, all right.

Personally, I like the idea of not knowing anything at a glance, but lugging tons of expensive scrolls around until staves show up isn't really exciting either. Maybe make pseudoID = ID, remove all ID spells/scrolls etc and have only *ID* for really accurate magical examination?
                      I think I'll make ID = *ID* for the next version, and we'll see how that goes.

Btw., there's nothing shown about aggravation either .. therefore it must be the build-in aggravation of the mages class I guess ?!
                      Mages don't get aggravation - just a decrease to stealth as they increase in level, which should show in your stealth on the 'C' screen. Could it be that you have just happened to get more awake monsters recently, or do you notice them waking up as you come near?

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

A note for anyone who hasn't seen it - the March/April competition is an FA032 Hobbit priest, available from Tony Holmes' competition website.

I would recommend playing it in 0.3.3, as there are no gameplay changes (apart from birth options, which are irrelevant here) and fewer bugs.

Comment

• Arralen
                          Swordsman
                          • May 2007

I have trouble shooting from the quiver now (with another character).

Upon "f"iring it says:

(Equip: 0-2, * to see, / inven, ESC) Fire which item?

Quiver is :
                          0) 38 Lead Shots (1d5) (+3,+2)
                          1) 99 Lead Shots (1d5) (+0,+0)
                          2) 52 Lead Shots (1d5) (+0,+0)

Yet, I can only use "0" and "1" .. "2" doesn't do anything at all.
                          Unless I choose "*" and "2" or scroll down to the appropiate entry, that is, then it fires "2" just fine ?!!?

Savegame attached.

PS: Scrolling with arrow keys is still broken in some menues, like the ammo one mentioned above, e.g. ...
                          Attached Files
                          Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

I have trouble shooting from the quiver now (with another character).
                            Yes, this is a known bug, which I don't have a good solution for yet. It's related to the way the number keys are used to scroll, so it is reading your '2' as a scroll down. If you inscribe those shots {@f2} I believe it will work.

Comment

• Slonk
                              Rookie
                              • Sep 2007

Also, if you hit the '*' key to list, using '2' will work.

Comment

• Arralen
                                Swordsman
                                • May 2007

Is this supposed to happen ?

- Vampires teleport into the back of character while sneaking upon him?
                                Observed that with the "monster detection spell" .. at first, it came after me while I was retreating, searching for a long corridor to have a good field of fi... I mean, spellcasting .. and all of a sudden, the "V" showed up in roughly the same distance (8 squares) but the opposite direction, lurking right behind the next corner in the direction I was moving?!

- Invisible monsters (clear somewhats, shadow drakes) do not show up with the "Detect Monsters" spell?

- Pseudo-ID doesn't seem to work for mages .. I'm lugging a short bow, a cutlass and 2 rings around now for hundreds, if not more than thousand turns, but no IDing happens?!

- special level of "land of warlords" (or whatever) and "drums of moria" appear in Amon Rudh ? http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=645
                                Never. Ever.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍