first off i cant register on the nppangband forum. it is not accepting new registrants.
second, i launch the game and go to options->graphics
all the tiles are greyed out. how do i get the tiles to run?
One last thing. this game seems to be a combo of many angband variants. which help should i look at?
Final NPPMoria and NPPAngband 7.0.0 released!
Collapse
X
-
and I am back to playing Moria! lol this looks great so farLeave a comment:
-
That's fair enough. I don't think many people would mind the AI. If you do this, and Timo gives me a comprehensive list of UI things which make it too easy (because FK lacked whatever detection result etc.), I'd happily add the downgrade option for the "true" FK recreation.Tempting. I actually think it would be fairly simple. AFAIK just a set of edit files and tileset mappings, and a couple internal functions for turning some features and birth options on and off. I would not want to undo any UI or AI improvements. I would not bring back the old AI where groups of novice mages stand in a corridor and cast magic missiles into each other's backs. It would have to be frog knows with 4gai.
:-D genius.It isn't even written yet, so how can I develop some pet peeves? Not even I am capable of that level of curmudgeonism.
I had the same problem, and it does take a long time (my Python is still pretty rubbish). But you would be the ideal person to write its monster AI, I think, however long it took.As for helping with the project, tempting but the biggest obstacle is that in my new job, I travel a lot. I don't know if I could overcome the learning curve of a new language, because my time for hobbies is so infrequent.
/me goes to bed thinking about getting back to Pyrel any year now ...Leave a comment:
-
Tempting. I actually think it would be fairly simple. AFAIK just a set of edit files and tileset mappings, and a couple internal functions for turning some features and birth options on and off. I would not want to undo any UI or AI improvements. I would not bring back the old AI where groups of novice mages stand in a corridor and cast magic missiles into each other's backs. It would have to be frog knows with 4gai.Huge congrats on both 7.0 and the Moria reimplementation. I'm really looking forward to trying both.
As for future pastimes, have you considered
(i) a Frog-Knows module, akin to the Moria module? Having done it once it might not be too much work to implement this, and it would provide a vital resource for settling arguments with Timo. (You'd have to downgrade the UI a little to recreate the real FK experience, of course!)
It isn't even written yet, so how can I develop some pet peeves? Not even I am capable of that level of curmudgeonism.
As for helping with the project, tempting but the biggest obstacle is that in my new job, I travel a lot. I don't know if I could overcome the learning curve of a new language, because my time for hobbies is so infrequent.Leave a comment:
-
Hmm, I wonderAs for future pastimes, have you considered
(i) a Frog-Knows module, akin to the Moria module? Having done it once it might not be too much work to implement this, and it would provide a vital resource for settling arguments with Timo. (You'd have to downgrade the UI a little to recreate the real FK experience, of course!)
Leave a comment:
-
Much as I'd love to see Pyrel get some variants, there are some issues to settle first.
I'm still nominally working on getting save/load times down to something acceptable, dungeon generation is slow, and there's lots of little details that need to be done (e.g. no status effect that does anything besides adjust your stats actually works). Unfortunately all of my coding juice has been sucked up by work lately, so I haven't had any to pour on Pyrel. That's how programming works, right?
Congrats on the release!Leave a comment:
-
Huge congrats on both 7.0 and the Moria reimplementation. I'm really looking forward to trying both.Thanks. I have wanted to do that moria module for years. I am glad I finally got around to it. I guess if I had half a brain I could have done a kickstart fundraiser first, but I just did it for fun.
As for what is next......I have no idea. I am torn between several ideas.....such as building an entirely new front-end for the game, since the angband basically runs on it's own home-brewed 20 year old game library. I also want to work on the monster AI and some other minor things. I am just going to wait and see what I am inspired to do.
As for future pastimes, have you considered
(i) a Frog-Knows module, akin to the Moria module? Having done it once it might not be too much work to implement this, and it would provide a vital resource for settling arguments with Timo. (You'd have to downgrade the UI a little to recreate the real FK experience, of course!)
(ii) NPPPyrel?Leave a comment:
-
I encourage you to have a look at Sil if you haven't before. It branched off from an early version of NPP and benefitted from your work incorporating the 4GAI. I've improved the AI in numerous ways, and some of these should be relatively easy to take to NPP. There are also many other features you might want. You are free to take anything you like, with or without modification.As for what is next......I have no idea. I am torn between several ideas.....such as building an entirely new front-end for the game, since the angband basically runs on it's own home-brewed 20 year old game library. I also want to work on the monster AI and some other minor things. I am just going to wait and see what I am inspired to do.
Playing the tutorial and/or reading the manual could be the fastest ways to get an idea of the kinds of features/changes if you are pressed for time.Leave a comment:
-
A spiffy new front-end would probably be a good thing indeed as far as entreating new players into the mix and drawing attention alongside any other nifty bits. I'd guess the current, though still developing, gold standard for such things would be Necklace of the Eye. http://www.roguetemple.com/z/noteye.phpLeave a comment:
-
Thanks. I have wanted to do that moria module for years. I am glad I finally got around to it. I guess if I had half a brain I could have done a kickstart fundraiser first, but I just did it for fun.
As for what is next......I have no idea. I am torn between several ideas.....such as building an entirely new front-end for the game, since the angband basically runs on it's own home-brewed 20 year old game library. I also want to work on the monster AI and some other minor things. I am just going to wait and see what I am inspired to do.Leave a comment:
-
Congrats on the release! What does the future hold for the next grand leg of all things NPP? The whole Moria thing was a bit of a surprise this time around after all...Leave a comment:
-
-
The current plan is to have a competition for NPPMoria after the current comp finishes - any suggestion for race/class?Leave a comment:
-
You should certainly be able to use "-ufoo" as a workaround to specify a different savefile (choose one that doesn't exist).Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: