Final NPPMoria and NPPAngband 7.0.0 released!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • youtoo
    replied
    first off i cant register on the nppangband forum. it is not accepting new registrants.

    second, i launch the game and go to options->graphics

    all the tiles are greyed out. how do i get the tiles to run?

    One last thing. this game seems to be a combo of many angband variants. which help should i look at?

    Leave a comment:


  • Malak Darkhunter
    replied
    and I am back to playing Moria! lol this looks great so far

    Leave a comment:


  • Magnate
    replied
    Originally posted by nppangband
    Tempting. I actually think it would be fairly simple. AFAIK just a set of edit files and tileset mappings, and a couple internal functions for turning some features and birth options on and off. I would not want to undo any UI or AI improvements. I would not bring back the old AI where groups of novice mages stand in a corridor and cast magic missiles into each other's backs. It would have to be frog knows with 4gai.
    That's fair enough. I don't think many people would mind the AI. If you do this, and Timo gives me a comprehensive list of UI things which make it too easy (because FK lacked whatever detection result etc.), I'd happily add the downgrade option for the "true" FK recreation.
    It isn't even written yet, so how can I develop some pet peeves? Not even I am capable of that level of curmudgeonism.
    :-D genius.
    As for helping with the project, tempting but the biggest obstacle is that in my new job, I travel a lot. I don't know if I could overcome the learning curve of a new language, because my time for hobbies is so infrequent.
    I had the same problem, and it does take a long time (my Python is still pretty rubbish). But you would be the ideal person to write its monster AI, I think, however long it took.

    /me goes to bed thinking about getting back to Pyrel any year now ...

    Leave a comment:


  • nppangband
    replied
    Originally posted by Magnate
    Huge congrats on both 7.0 and the Moria reimplementation. I'm really looking forward to trying both.

    As for future pastimes, have you considered

    (i) a Frog-Knows module, akin to the Moria module? Having done it once it might not be too much work to implement this, and it would provide a vital resource for settling arguments with Timo. (You'd have to downgrade the UI a little to recreate the real FK experience, of course!)
    Tempting. I actually think it would be fairly simple. AFAIK just a set of edit files and tileset mappings, and a couple internal functions for turning some features and birth options on and off. I would not want to undo any UI or AI improvements. I would not bring back the old AI where groups of novice mages stand in a corridor and cast magic missiles into each other's backs. It would have to be frog knows with 4gai.

    Originally posted by Magnate
    (ii) NPPPyrel?
    It isn't even written yet, so how can I develop some pet peeves? Not even I am capable of that level of curmudgeonism.

    As for helping with the project, tempting but the biggest obstacle is that in my new job, I travel a lot. I don't know if I could overcome the learning curve of a new language, because my time for hobbies is so infrequent.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nick
    replied
    Originally posted by Magnate
    As for future pastimes, have you considered

    (i) a Frog-Knows module, akin to the Moria module? Having done it once it might not be too much work to implement this, and it would provide a vital resource for settling arguments with Timo. (You'd have to downgrade the UI a little to recreate the real FK experience, of course!)
    Hmm, I wonder

    Leave a comment:


  • Derakon
    replied
    Much as I'd love to see Pyrel get some variants, there are some issues to settle first. I'm still nominally working on getting save/load times down to something acceptable, dungeon generation is slow, and there's lots of little details that need to be done (e.g. no status effect that does anything besides adjust your stats actually works). Unfortunately all of my coding juice has been sucked up by work lately, so I haven't had any to pour on Pyrel. That's how programming works, right?

    Congrats on the release!

    Leave a comment:


  • Magnate
    replied
    Originally posted by nppangband
    Thanks. I have wanted to do that moria module for years. I am glad I finally got around to it. I guess if I had half a brain I could have done a kickstart fundraiser first, but I just did it for fun.

    As for what is next......I have no idea. I am torn between several ideas.....such as building an entirely new front-end for the game, since the angband basically runs on it's own home-brewed 20 year old game library. I also want to work on the monster AI and some other minor things. I am just going to wait and see what I am inspired to do.
    Huge congrats on both 7.0 and the Moria reimplementation. I'm really looking forward to trying both.

    As for future pastimes, have you considered

    (i) a Frog-Knows module, akin to the Moria module? Having done it once it might not be too much work to implement this, and it would provide a vital resource for settling arguments with Timo. (You'd have to downgrade the UI a little to recreate the real FK experience, of course!)

    (ii) NPPPyrel?

    Leave a comment:


  • half
    replied
    Originally posted by nppangband
    As for what is next......I have no idea. I am torn between several ideas.....such as building an entirely new front-end for the game, since the angband basically runs on it's own home-brewed 20 year old game library. I also want to work on the monster AI and some other minor things. I am just going to wait and see what I am inspired to do.
    I encourage you to have a look at Sil if you haven't before. It branched off from an early version of NPP and benefitted from your work incorporating the 4GAI. I've improved the AI in numerous ways, and some of these should be relatively easy to take to NPP. There are also many other features you might want. You are free to take anything you like, with or without modification.

    Playing the tutorial and/or reading the manual could be the fastest ways to get an idea of the kinds of features/changes if you are pressed for time.

    Leave a comment:


  • getter77
    replied
    A spiffy new front-end would probably be a good thing indeed as far as entreating new players into the mix and drawing attention alongside any other nifty bits. I'd guess the current, though still developing, gold standard for such things would be Necklace of the Eye. http://www.roguetemple.com/z/noteye.php

    Leave a comment:


  • nppangband
    replied
    Originally posted by getter77
    Congrats on the release! What does the future hold for the next grand leg of all things NPP? The whole Moria thing was a bit of a surprise this time around after all...
    Thanks. I have wanted to do that moria module for years. I am glad I finally got around to it. I guess if I had half a brain I could have done a kickstart fundraiser first, but I just did it for fun.

    As for what is next......I have no idea. I am torn between several ideas.....such as building an entirely new front-end for the game, since the angband basically runs on it's own home-brewed 20 year old game library. I also want to work on the monster AI and some other minor things. I am just going to wait and see what I am inspired to do.

    Leave a comment:


  • getter77
    replied
    Congrats on the release! What does the future hold for the next grand leg of all things NPP? The whole Moria thing was a bit of a surprise this time around after all...

    Leave a comment:


  • nppangband
    replied
    Good suggestion. Either an elven ranger or mage.

    Leave a comment:


  • HugoVirtuoso
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick
    The current plan is to have a competition for NPPMoria after the current comp finishes - any suggestion for race/class?
    I'd nominate the Elven Ranger for the NPPMoria competition.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nick
    replied
    The current plan is to have a competition for NPPMoria after the current comp finishes - any suggestion for race/class?

    Leave a comment:


  • DaviddesJ
    replied
    Originally posted by nppangband
    I will work something out. In the meantime, I think deleting the savefile might be the only way to switch between games (besides having two folders for each game).
    You should certainly be able to use "-ufoo" as a workaround to specify a different savefile (choose one that doesn't exist).

    Leave a comment:

Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
☕