Adept
    • Dec 2010

Nice

Now I really want to hurry up with my mindcrafter

Comment

• emulord
      Adept
      • Oct 2009

Make Ice break potions, and earth ruin wands and rods (too fragile, the earthy body just crushes them)

Comment

• chris
        PosChengband Maintainer
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by emulord
        Make Ice break potions, and earth ruin wands and rods (too fragile, the earthy body just crushes them)
        That would also work ... But I think I will hold off on Ice Elementals for the time being. Currently, each of the elementals has a favored in game terrain that is useful for them (and I might add one more ability along these lines shortly). But there is no ice based terrain at the moment and I'm too lazy to add one

Comment

• Arjen
          Adept
          • Dec 2010

Ok, as Air elemental you start with a ring of dex. Turn 2, it's destroyed... Gimme something else!

Same with the Water elemental and an armor. Somewhat useless except for starters money.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

Question - HOW do I turn off the *annoying* message that says "Moderation in all things?"
            My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• chris
              PosChengband Maintainer
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
              Question - HOW do I turn off the *annoying* message that says "Moderation in all things?"
              Turn off the birth option enable_virtues, turn off the disturbance option disturb_minor, eat some food before getting hungry, or, assuming this is only bothering you while walking thru the wilderness in the big map mode, wait for the next release.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by chris
                Turn off the birth option enable_virtues, turn off the disturbance option disturb_minor, eat some food before getting hungry, or, assuming this is only bothering you while walking thru the wilderness in the big map mode, wait for the next release.
                I find it annoying in both cases, wilderness mode and non-wilderness mode. I'd like encountering the indirect effects of virtue. But seeing the "Moderation in all things" show up 100x or everywhere I go is a bit too much.

Edit:
                Turning off disturbance_minor is sufficient in both cases.

Another problem:
                I failed the Sewer quest, and since then the douche-bag guy won't give me another quest. "I don't have a quest for you at this time." Now, what?
                Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; July 2, 2013, 14:36.

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• chris
                  PosChengband Maintainer
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                  If you haven't decided on a version control system (VCS) yet, I personally don't much care which version control you use, but of course a Distributed VCS is probably preferable (Git/Mercurial/Bazaar, probably in that order according to popularity). Git has the lovely Github for hosting and Hg has bitbucket (which incidentally also supports Git).
                  I resisted using any source repository for a long time because my experiences with code.google were so bad (nearly daily outages). Now, github has stopped working (no changes on my end):
                  Code:
                  C:\src\poscheng\poschengband [master]> git status
                  # On branch master
                  # Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 3 commits.
                  #   (use "git push" to publish your local commits)
                  #
                  nothing to commit, working directory clean
                  C:\src\poscheng\poschengband [master]> git push
                  error: The requested URL returned error: 502 while accessing https://github.com/
                  poschengband/poschengband.git/info/refs?service=git-receive-pack
                  fatal: HTTP request failed
                  C:\src\poscheng\poschengband [master]>
                  Does anybody who uses github have any idea what the problem might be? I'm at a loss ... This was working (I have 54 commits or so) and now, with no changes, stopped working. Grrr ...

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Googling the error gives this, which seems to have some good suggestions.
                    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• chris
                      PosChengband Maintainer
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Nick
                      Googling the error gives this, which seems to have some good suggestions.
                      Thanks, but I don't think this is related. I am getting 502 errors, not 403 errors. Also, I've successfully pushed over 50 times and it suddenly stopped working? With no changes on my end?

But continuing to try, I managed a push through the Windows UI program (which I never use, but it does generate a log file). Then to test, I made more changes and push failed with 502. Now, a push from the commandline worked.

I'm guessing there are server problems on github ... So, hopefully, I just wait and it goes away?

EDIT: Check out https://status.github.com/messages. I think they are just having problems. Sorry for making a fuss!

Comment

• clouded
                        Swordsman
                        • Jun 2012

I recently tried to compile a GCU version with cygwin and ran into some errors:

Code:
                        main-gcu.c: In function `Term_xtra_gcu_alive':
                        main-gcu.c:603: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
                        main-gcu.c:603: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
                        main-gcu.c: In function `Term_nuke_gcu':
                        main-gcu.c:739: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
                        main-gcu.c:739: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
                        <builtin>: recipe for target `main-gcu.o' failed
                        make: *** [main-gcu.o] Error 1
                        However, I have a friend who gave me sage advice to modify the code in main-gcu.c as such:

Both instances of
                        Code:
                        mvcur(curscr->_cury, curscr->_curx, LINES - 1, 0);
                        to
                        Code:
                        mvcur(getcury(curscr), getcurx(curscr), LINES - 1, 0);
                        And I was able to compile.

I also had a problem where the game didn't seem to be able to save. It created the directory ~/.angband/PosChengband but that remains empty. I created /lib/save in the poscheng directory (which is where the windows binary puts saves), and the game was then able to save.

Comment

• chris
                          PosChengband Maintainer
                          • Jan 2008

EDIT: I should finish reading your post before replying ... Please disregard.
                          EDIT: I pushed your getcury(curscr), etc suggested changes (Thanks!). I don't have a clue regarding you savefile issues, however. Can anybody shed light on how savefiles are handled for curses/cygwin?
                          Last edited by chris; July 3, 2013, 03:25.

Comment

• chris
                            PosChengband Maintainer
                            • Jan 2008

OK, in hopes I can take a break, 1.0.28 has been uploaded here:

* Elementals now start with better equipment (In particular, they no longer start with stuff that gets insta-ruined!).

* Added more Elemental flavor: Water, Fire and Earth get a "healing" type spell, provided they are in their element.

* Added more Elemental flavor: Water, Fire and Earth now move quickly in their element.

* Winning/Losing in the Arena now affects player fame. Really, there is no longer any excuse for players being unable to reforge artifacts rather early on, unless they habitually fail quests!

* Reforging is now much cheaper. Minimum cost is 250,000gp rather than 1,000,000gp. But target scoring is tighter, so you are unlikely to get something significantly better than what you start with, and are likely to be considerably poorer to boot!

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2012

Question: What does a scroll of Madness do? I found one with a dead character but didn't have a chance to test it before he died.

Comment

• chris
                                PosChengband Maintainer
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                                Question: What does a scroll of Madness do? I found one with a dead character but didn't have a chance to test it before he died.
                                Why it drives you mad, of course Actually, its effects are random, as the description suggests. You might get an awesome result, but it could kill you if you are unlucky and unprepared!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎