• Show
Clear All
  • Patashu
    Knight
    • Jan 2008

Steamband miraculous comeback?

The changelog for Steamband got updated today:

- Allowed throwing healing potions to damage undead - 8/14/12
    - Hopefully fixed the charging bug - 8/14/12 (Thanks Riivo Mägi!)
    - Fixed the potion crashing bug - 8/14/12 (Thanks Riivo Mägi!)
    My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu
  • ekolis
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Yeah, Courtney posted on the Yahoo group that he was going to be fixing some things...

Hopefully he adds the "show item list when item-related commands are invoked" option, too...
    You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
    You are surrounded by a stasis field!
    The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• getter77
      Adept
      • Dec 2009

Wow, everybody wins if Steamband gets back into a streak of potent and lively development and releases---excellent!

Comment

• ekolis
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Yeah, first ToME, then ADOM, then Steamband... who knows what other ancient roguelikes might get updates?
        You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
        You are surrounded by a stasis field!
        The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ekolis
          Yeah, first ToME, then ADOM, then Steamband... who knows what other ancient roguelikes might get updates?
          Maybe Angband!

*ducks*
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• valis
            Rookie
            • Jul 2008

It is no joke. I have a bugfixed functioning 0.4.2 on my hard drive, thanks to the work of many players.

That said, if you have any content, code, bugfixes, monsters/artificats/etc., requests or otherwise you want included in 0.4.2, send them before the end of the week or let me know I need to wait longer.

I have not been idle in my long sojourn from Steamband. I've been busy doing tabletop gaming blogging (Dungeons & Dragons and more!) over at Hack & Slash I've written a free Psionics guide for retro-clones, a free guide to Interesting Treasure, a free guide to Tricks, Empty Rooms, and Basic Trap Design, and within the year will have a 300+ page gaming book out on Alchemy.

I can be found on G+ under Courtney Campbell and on twitter @nexusphere for gaming quotes, and @hackslashmaster for normal twitter interactions.

I can't promise I'll work on Steamband with the same intensity as I did in the past, but I won't let it languish for quite as long in the future. Who knows, maybe I'll get around to adding terrain at some point.

I want to say the people in the Angband community, who amazingly enough are all still here, are some of the best people I've ever met online or off. They are giving and appreciative and writing about and for tabletop gamers for 4 years really puts into perspective how wonderful this community is.

Thanks

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

Welcome back! Always good to have more developers slinging ideas around here. It keeps everyone on their toes.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by valis
                That said, if you have any content, code, bugfixes, monsters/artificats/etc., requests or otherwise you want included in 0.4.2, send them before the end of the week or let me know I need to wait longer.
                You might want to look at the competition pages (122 and 68) and the forum threads (122 and 68) for the post-Tony-Holmes competitions - plenty of work there, because sometimes people write about bugs in their character dumps as well as on the forum

And we can do a 0.4.2 comp of your choice any time you want.
                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• nppangband
                  NPPAngband Maintainer
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by valis
                  It is no joke. I have a bugfixed functioning 0.4.2 on my hard drive, thanks to the work of many players.
                  Welcome back, Courtney! It is see another graybeard from the good ol' days posting around here.
                  NPPAngband current home page: http://nppangband.bitshepherd.net/
                  Source code repository:
                  https://github.com/nppangband/NPPAngband_QT
                  Downloads:
                  https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57

Comment

• buzzkill
                    Prophet
                    • May 2008

I seem to recall a bug where a gun (loaded with cursed ammo) could could be dropped but any cursed ammo in it would remain loaded in the players inventory (or quiver? don't remember). Also, 32x32 tile support seems to be missing ;(which renders my dream of concocting a tileset completely irrelevant).

Steam remains one of my favorites despite it's asciiness. Glad to see it under dev once again.
                    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Patashu
                      Knight
                      • Jan 2008

In particular, this dump posts of an ammo crash bug:
                      My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• getter77
                        Adept
                        • Dec 2009

As a sideline question to this awesome happening:

What are your thoughts on the prospective upcoming Fallow World?

The timing amuses me not unlike the Legend of Siegfried/ ADOM II (JADE) situation.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎