X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will_asher
    DaJAngband Maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by nppangband
    This can all be handled rather easily and simply with different monster movement flows, having mnosters that can move through who can't can find a different path to the player. No need for those without range attacks to standby helpless.

NPP actually can have up to something like 20 monster flows working at the same time, with no hesitation in game play. I could probably do alot more now. That code was written 5 years ago, and computers have only gotten faster. There are different flows for monsters who can open or bash down doors, as opposed to hose who can't. Those who can walk through lava safely, those who can just fly over everything, etc....... No monster left behind is my motto.
    I have no idea how to code 'monster flows'. But I can do most of what Buzzkill suggested. I'd probably do something like: 'If they can't get to the PC across the chasm and have no significant range weapon then have them act like they're afraid so they'll get out of the PC's line of sight'. And probably also add something about certain situations where monsters can move past other monsters whether or not they have MOVE_BODY.

I don't know about those puzzle levels. It doesn't sound like the kind of thing that would be appropriate for a *band.
    Will_Asher
    aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
    http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
      Veteran
      • Sep 2010

I found a way to create Unangband-style terrain features -- like book shelves, tables, etc. -- using Eytan Zweig's improved trap layer.

Basically, I can "paint" a rubble to make it a tree, with different graphics and description. Then I just add some tree-specific interactions in the few places in the code where a tree behaves differently from a rubble. If many dungeon features are similar somehow, I can easily add a flag in the trap.txt file.

It's not as powerful as Unangband's terrain feature layer, but it's enough for my purposes. And it's simple and fast to code.

Unangband is a treasure trove of dungeon and room generation algorithms. I'm spoiled for choices for stealing.

Comment

• andrewdoull
        Unangband maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Mikko Lehtinen
        Unangband is a treasure trove of dungeon and room generation algorithms. I'm spoiled for choices for stealing.
        They're pretty much all stolen from elsewhere anyway so go ahead.
        The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
        In UnAngband, the level dives you.
        ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
        Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
          Veteran
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by andrewdoull
          They're pretty much all stolen from elsewhere anyway so go ahead.
          Aren't the room descriptions and the placement of room decorations mostly your work?

I'm going to invert the Unangband method for decorating rooms:

- Unangband first reads the room descriptions file and places all decorations based on that.

- FayAngband will first generate the room, often with a special wall or two and a square of varying size. After generating the basic room layout it looks at the text file and thinks: hmm, I need a decoration that is a big rectangle, let's see what's available -- ok, it's an Altar of Death on a raised stone platform. And then something for that special wall -- let's make it a weapon rack.

Comment

• andrewdoull
            Unangband maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Aren't the room descriptions and the placement of room decorations mostly your work?
            Oh, that. Yes.
            The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
            In UnAngband, the level dives you.
            ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
            Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• Rydel
              Apprentice
              • Jul 2008

- Magnetic walls: bows and thrown weapons are useless.
              Instead of being completely useless, how about the always fly straight at the nearest wall, regardless of where you aim them?

Originally posted by bio_hazard
              Sacrifice- Destroy something from inventory to open doors.
              Neat idea, but you may want to force the room to use permanent walls or the player can just dig around the door
              I'm trying to think of an analogy, and the best I can come up with is Angband is like fishing for sharks, and Sil is like hunting a bear with a pocket knife and a pair of chopsticks. It's not great. -Nick

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎