Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mondkalb
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

The Desperate Adventurer is really a joyful addition. Just sold him two flasks of oil for 606 gold.
    That's nice starting momey. ^^

Also, I like that some of the creatures are neutral. Adds some realistic feeling.
    Last edited by Mondkalb; April 19, 2011, 15:47.
    My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Rivendell
      Rookie
      • Mar 2011

Those troops of "p"s in the wilderness get me worried sometimes. They'll pop into view, and start moving, and I'll breathe a sigh of relief when they vector off in some other direction, rather than b-line for me. Having some kind of ranged attack in the wilderness has been very handy. My first dozen or so characters were rangers, and they really shine when they have room to maneuver and shoot.

Question: should I be concerned about having free action below dlvl 20, like in V? Currently on dlvl 26 in Amon Rudh.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Rivendell
        Question: should I be concerned about having free action below dlvl 20, like in V? Currently on dlvl 26 in Amon Rudh.
        Yes. Even more so - FA has not made the V change where you get unparalyzed from time to time.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Mondkalb
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

I love the varying wilderness levels. They call for changing tactics depending on your characters class, race, and abilities and also dependent on the variety of monsters present on the level.

The mix of neutral and hostile monsters in little groups can be challenging.

Some of the early uniques are somewhat harder than in Angband, they behave different and more intelligent. Combined with free space in plains they are best avoided. At least the mountain regions offer retreat possibilities.

The abundance of different rings and amulets makes it often hard to decide which to keep and to wear.
          OTOH most classes need less spellbooks.

Comment

• Mondkalb
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Well, this one is definitely doomed: My fresh Dark Elf Ranger made his way through the Ent Path to Ossiriand, running for his life on the last few steps from a player ghost.
            In Ossiriand he read some scrolls, one of them a summon monster scroll which besides a few animals summoned the complainer. After killing him he found a Pair of Leather Sandals of Speed [1,+3] <+10 to speed> .
            That was by far the best drop the complainer ever made.
            My little ranger has been already lucky on his first steps on the Ent Path by finding 3 Well-balanced Daggers of Freezing (1d4) (+2,+4).

Can't be long until he is dead ...

edit
            Stepping out east to Ossiriand the first thing he sees is the Lamp of Gwindor. I'm scared ... ^^
            Last edited by Mondkalb; April 25, 2011, 08:24.

Comment

• buzzkill
              Prophet
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Mondkalb
              My little ranger has been already lucky on his first steps on the Ent Path by finding 3 Well-balanced Daggers of Freezing (1d4) (+2,+4).
              The best thing about dagger is that they come in sets, kinda like steak knives. Assuming that's your best weapon, and you're still short on gold, wield 1, sell 2. Much better than throwing them and then stepping through that trap door.
              www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
              My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Mondkalb
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

Did that.
                Found Dethanc shortly after.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Mondkalb
                  In Ossiriand he read some scrolls, one of them a summon monster scroll which besides a few animals summoned the complainer. After killing him he found a Pair of Leather Sandals of Speed [1,+3] <+10 to speed> .
                  That was by far the best drop the complainer ever made.
                  Awesome. I never get speed boots early - well, almost never.

Comment

• Mondkalb
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

It makes the early progress much easier. I can usually find a piece of wood with more wood or rock at the sides. Shooting from there at monster groups in plains is way safer now (with a speed of 13, +3 speed bonus from the wood tile).

The game is still not easy. Despite superb stealth, which also makes life a bit easier, plains can still be very dangerous. I have stumbled into one of these town-like levels where all creatures are hostile. No chance at all, only teleport level saved me.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                      Knight
                      • Aug 2009

Plains are ok if you stay near tree/rock formations. Themed wilderness levels may be somewhat hard.

Comment

• Mondkalb
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

Stealth seems to be even more useful than in Vanilla. I have got a Grey-Elf Ranger with legendary stealth.

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Stealth can be really useful in wilderness - especially at night, when everything starts asleep.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎