X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andrewdoull
    Unangband maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bandobras
    But Dunlending _is_ meant to be mean. He's optional, opens access to a lot of freebies and drops your first artifact a couple thousand turns into the game, if you are lucky. I've seen people kill him, whom he normally kills with one spell (hint: harden yourself against his damage spells, disable him in the first turn or deal with him totally out of sight (possible, too, in many ways, depending on class and finds, and if he does not see you he can't slow you nor kill you)). He is a kind of a puzzle, really, only quite a replayable one...
    I think everyone has made excellent suggestions: I'd like to focus on whether there is anyway these lessons can be learned before the Dunlending.

The specific problem is that we have a monster who is hard to hit, has a lot of hitpoints and has ranged attacks. Ideally, I'd like ranger players to have encountered monsters which have two of these attributes prior to fighting the Dunlending, in order that they can discover what tactics work against this type of monster.

Hard to hit & ranged attack: The only monsters which the player will have run into up until now which are as hard to hit are snakes. But none of these have ranged attacks. I suspect I'll need to modify one of the existing snakes to have it spit poison.

Lot of hitpoints and ranged attack: Nothing really fits the criteria except Thorn Trees, which don't appear until deeper. Mushrooms don't have the range to be a threat to archers.

Hard to hit and lots of hitpoints: Anything that falls into this category will be a threat to most players...

Edit: I've added a number of monsters to try to make archers have to think about how they fight a bit earlier.

Andrew
    Last edited by andrewdoull; May 23, 2009, 08:27.
    The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
    In UnAngband, the level dives you.
    ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
    Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• andrewdoull
      Unangband maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by baddog73
      I'll keep posting bugs here for comment, but I'll also put 'em up on berlios.

- Open small wooden chests have are represented by ACSII "space", or blank.
      Fixed in svn.

- A service of "feedback" in Gandalf's shop seems silly.
      It will discover any high level random resists on items you have. It may be a little early to have this in Gandalf's shop.

- Something for discussion: Are potions of water any use whatsoever?
      You can use them to clean things you find in the dungeon...

Andrew

Comment

• andrewdoull
        Unangband maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
        Inability to sell certain items pseudo-ID-ed as {average}

Here's a savegame - enter the weapons shop, see that
        - the shovel is sellable
        - the lochaber axe isn't
        .. both are "freshly" from Barrow-Downs, and only auto-pseudo-ID-ed. (no scroll read on them)

Hope this helps!
        This should be fixed in svn.

Comment

• baddog73
          Apprentice
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by andrewdoull
          It will discover any high level random resists on items you have. It may be a little early to have this in Gandalf's shop.
          Andrew
          I didn't know that... Is there a way to make it more apparent what its use is?

- Also I'm getting confused about when pseudo-id tags should disappear from items. If I have arrows {average} and use them for a while, they become arrows (+0,+0) {average}. Sometimes certain types of ID will delete the tags, and at other times they remain. Do you think it's working correctly?

Comment

• andrewdoull
            Unangband maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by baddog73
            I didn't know that... Is there a way to make it more apparent what its use is?
            Not sure... it's a bit of a spoiler... I think making it a service isn't the right approach and will change this accordingly.

- Also I'm getting confused about when pseudo-id tags should disappear from items. If I have arrows {average} and use them for a while, they become arrows (+0,+0) {average}. Sometimes certain types of ID will delete the tags, and at other times they remain. Do you think it's working correctly?
            Not really - which is why I've filed a bug for it.

Comment

• Arralen
              Swordsman
              • May 2007

I'm seriously missing the opportunity to throw flasks from a Magic Bag of Supplies. Using (F) it's only possible to throw the complete bag, what doesn't make that much sense IMHO.
              Now if all flasks therein would go off at once, that would be useful at times, but they don't
              The menue works fine for dropping and refueling lamps, though!
              [ Bug #15752 ] Unable to throw flasks from a Magic Bag of Supplies

What are Scrolls of Rune Magic supposed to do? A Dagger (Blessed) got a <Magic> tag, my Gauntlets of Poison got <Magic> as well ... I somehow doubt that a single Magic Runestone would turn a dagger into a "Blessed" ego, or a gauntlets into "of Poison" variety ?! Or is this class-dependant .. and a thief is not supposed to get any useful info?
              [ Bug #15753 ] Scrolls of Rune Magic works incorrectly

Isn't the temple supposed to buy a fully IDed "Dagger (Blessed) (1d4) (+11,+8)" ?
              [ Bug #15751 ] Temple should buy "Dagger (Blessed) (1d4) (+11,+8)" [again]
              Last edited by Arralen; May 25, 2009, 17:08.
              No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
              Never. Ever.

Comment

• Big Al
                Swordsman
                • Apr 2007

What are Scrolls of Rune Magic supposed to do? A Dagger (Blessed) got a <Magic> tag, my Gauntlets of Poison got <Magic> as well ... I somehow doubt that a single Magic Runestone would turn a dagger into a "Blessed" ego, or a gauntlets into "of Poison" variety ?! Or is this class-dependant .. and a thief is not supposed to get any useful info?
                I *believe* that it depends on the state of IDness of the object. <Magic> is the generic "I don't know what rune makes this" designation, not a specific rune type itself. I'm pretty sure that it's not class dependent. Not sure if that helped at all.

Also, FYI Andrew, I downloaded and build the latest SVN, and the program hangs on "[Initializing arrays... (spells)]".
                Come play Metroplexity!
                Un, V MX H- D c-- f- PV s- d+ P++ M+
                c-- S I++ So+ B+ ac- !GHB SQ RQ+ V+

Comment

• andrewdoull
                  Unangband maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Big Al
                  I *believe* that it depends on the state of IDness of the object. <Magic> is the generic "I don't know what rune makes this" designation, not a specific rune type itself.
                  However we should be identifying what runes are required to make those ego object types. It does not depend on the state of the idness of the object...

Its a bug.

Also, FYI Andrew, I downloaded and build the latest SVN, and the program hangs on "[Initializing arrays... (spells)]".
                  Do you get a line number and file when you Force Quit. This works for me, and I really dread debugging initialisation code like this.

Andrew

Comment

• andrewdoull
                    Unangband maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

I'm seriously missing the opportunity to throw flasks from a Magic Bag of Supplies. Using (F) it's only possible to throw the complete bag, what doesn't make that much sense IMHO.
                    Now if all flasks therein would go off at once, that would be useful at times, but they don't
                    Try lining them up in a row on the floor and lighting the end one...

You're right - they should be throwable. Bug it.

Isn't the temple supposed to buy a fully IDed "Dagger (Blessed) (1d4) (+11,+8)" ?
                    Probably, but I temporarily removed it. Feel free to file a bug.

Andrew

Comment

• Arralen
                      Swordsman
                      • May 2007

You're right - they should be throwable. Bug it.
                      Done.

Its a bug.
                      Done.

Probably, but I temporarily removed it. Feel free to file a bug.
                      Done.
                      No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
                      Never. Ever.

Comment

• Big Al
                        Swordsman
                        • Apr 2007

Do you get a line number and file when you Force Quit. This works for me, and I really dread debugging initialisation code like this.
                        No line number, but rev 2550 seems to fix it (change IDENT_BONUS to IDENT_GAUGE).
                        Come play Metroplexity!
                        Un, V MX H- D c-- f- PV s- d+ P++ M+
                        c-- S I++ So+ B+ ac- !GHB SQ RQ+ V+

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞