X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antoine
    Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Nick
    This one I rather like. Pos has two big differences from NPP - possession and monster races, and monster alignments. The alignment I don't really see as working in NPP, but possession and monster races could totally work, and they are also by far the more interesting and fun idea.
    I think it would be grrrrreat to have alignment in NPP personally

A.
    Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• Antoine
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by camlost
      Hey, I resemble that remark. Or maybe you're talking about Leon, who resemble it a lot more.
      Please elaborate?

A.

Comment

• nppangband
        NPPAngband Maintainer
        • Dec 2008

I need to catch up and find out what monster alignment is.

Interesting thread. In order for one codebase to hold multiple variants, it would need to have all of the options set out in the edit files.

NPP might be able to hold quickband in the same code base. That is about the closest two codebases I know of where the game feels completely different. And someday NPPMoria will happen.

I think the main obsticle is that a variant is a very personal thing, and you get attached to it. It is hard to think about incorporating ideas you don't personally want in your variant.
        NPPAngband current home page: http://nppangband.bitshepherd.net/
        Source code repository:
        https://github.com/nppangband/NPPAngband_QT
        Downloads:
        https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
          Knight
          • May 2007

Hey I would Love to see NPPMoria! I agree with Nppangband on the fact that a variant is a personal thing. The thing that I think needs to be looked at is the fact that other people could potentialy take credit for another authors work. I might for instance wait for angband 3.1.0 to be released and then make a few minor changes, and then rerelease it as a variant, I would then be the proud maintainer of my very own variant! With little work done by myself, and most of the work done by other people. I think a certain level of changes need to be made before a it can be released as a variant.

Comment

• camlost
            Sangband 1.x Maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Antoine
            Please elaborate?

A.
            I take over maintenance of S while Leon is away. Of course, I haven't done a lot of developement for S in a while, and a release is upcoming, but I don't work on it much. You called S an non-actively maintained variant.

I've certainly thought about making a Sangband quickmode, but it's never materialized.
            a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
            3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
              Knight
              • May 2007

I was wondering what happemd to Sangband, runegold site does not work anymore, so I could not download it if I wanted to, new computer and all. There is not a downloadable page for Sangband currently that is posted here on the forum. I found your Sangband page, by searching through the forums, new players though would be confused.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by nppangband
                I need to catch up and find out what monster alignment is.
                As implemented in Posband, every monster has a lawful or chaotic alignment, and when oppositely aligned monsters meet they fight. I was never a big fan, for the following reasons:
                • You would tend to get massive battles away from the player, and the player would come into a room to find one badly injured orc and piles of loot;
                • While this battle was going on, the game would run really slowly (especially when you were playing a Quylthulg, which has -10 speed);
                • How do you decide whether a red worm mass is lawful or chaotic?

The possession and monster races, on the other hand, were IMO one of the best game features in any *band, ever. It might be a bit of a stretch (and a lot of work) to put them in NPP, but they would go rather nicely with the whole terrain/nativity thing.

I think the main obsticle is that a variant is a very personal thing, and you get attached to it. It is hard to think about incorporating ideas you don't personally want in your variant.
                Thank you, that's what I was trying to say.

On an unrelated note, do you think I should wait until 0.5.0 is out of beta before having an NPP comp? Just fishing for information
                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Antoine
                  • Nov 2007

> NPP might be able to hold quickband in the same code base. That is about the closest two codebases I know of where the game feels completely different.

I'm sure it could, happy to discuss details...

> I think the main obsticle is that a variant is a very personal thing, and you get attached to it. It is hard to think about incorporating ideas you don't personally want in your variant.

I agree. But: the Stone Soup guys seem to manage - as did the Nethack devteam?

A.

Comment

• Antoine
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by camlost
                    I take over maintenance of S while Leon is away. Of course, I haven't done a lot of developement for S in a while, and a release is upcoming, but I don't work on it much. You called S an non-actively maintained variant.
                    I eat my words.

A.

P.S. Why do you believe S should continue as a distinct variant?
                    [I'm not saying it shouldn't, I'm just interested to hear your response]

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍