Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malak Darkhunter
    Knight
    • May 2007

The constant fear/blindness/confusion spells used by most enemies is really starting to aggravate me...it’s a royal pain and feels like aggravating gameplay. It literally feels like “everything “ casts those same spells...I’ve now found items that provide immunity to most of this, but getting to that point of immunity is very tiresome...I remember a few years ago I experimented with changing the spells of monsters to make them more interesting and realistic....more magic missles, more frost bolts, fire bolts from Mages etc and lightning bolts..some variation instead of every monster casting the same old blind/confusion/fear once you get past those they are practically a cake walk..I would like to see more offensive oriented spells ..many of these enemie spell casters have had the same old same old spells in their repitoire forever.would be nice to see some variation, it is a good amount of work I have did this before...I know I can edit my own copy however I please but I would like to appeal to the masses here and see if anyone else would be interested in changing this.

Comment

• Sideways
      Knight
      • Nov 2008

I was on the goblin-drums level, and all phase doors and teleports (of either the player or any monster) always placed tha player/monster in the same small area, regardless of how far away it was. At one point ?PhaseDoor summarily tossed me 40 squares so it could land me in that area. Is that supposed to happen?
      The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• wobbly
        Prophet
        • May 2012

e) an Amulet of Sustenance <+3>
        Dropped by an Easterling champion in Arena Town

So stuff I know about it. He either came from a pit or a room next to a pit in Amon Rudh. I was using a weapon that earthquaked. Hmm.. 3rd detail, it was a player ghost level.
        Last edited by wobbly; October 23, 2021, 19:38.

Comment

• Sideways
          Knight
          • Nov 2008

Recalling to Talath Dirnen 29 didn't plop me on top of the Nargothrond entrance, is that intended behavior or a bug?

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sideways
            I was on the goblin-drums level, and all phase doors and teleports (of either the player or any monster) always placed tha player/monster in the same small area, regardless of how far away it was. At one point ?PhaseDoor summarily tossed me 40 squares so it could land me in that area. Is that supposed to happen?
            That feels like it ought to be by design, but it isn't. I saw an interesting talk at Roguelike Celebration about how bugs can lead to new features...

Originally posted by wobbly
            e) an Amulet of Sustenance <+3>
            Dropped by an Easterling champion in Arena Town

So stuff I know about it. He either came from a pit or a room next to a pit in Amon Rudh. I was using a weapon that earthquaked. Hmm.. 3rd detail, it was a player ghost level.
            Thanks. I believe this is happening when the place of origin fails to be set, so it's just a matter of working out how that can happen.

Recalling to Talath Dirnen 29 didn't plop me on top of the Nargothrond entrance, is that intended behavior or a bug?
            This is intended. It's the always landing on the stairs of Amon Rudh 15 that isn't.
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
              The constant fear/blindness/confusion spells used by most enemies is really starting to aggravate me...it’s a royal pain and feels like aggravating gameplay. It literally feels like “everything “ casts those same spells...I’ve now found items that provide immunity to most of this, but getting to that point of immunity is very tiresome...I remember a few years ago I experimented with changing the spells of monsters to make them more interesting and realistic....more magic missles, more frost bolts, fire bolts from Mages etc and lightning bolts..some variation instead of every monster casting the same old blind/confusion/fear once you get past those they are practically a cake walk..I would like to see more offensive oriented spells ..many of these enemie spell casters have had the same old same old spells in their repitoire forever.would be nice to see some variation, it is a good amount of work I have did this before...I know I can edit my own copy however I please but I would like to appeal to the masses here and see if anyone else would be interested in changing this.
              The early monsters tend to cast these for two main reasons:
              • Monsters that do a lot of damage at range can be very lethal for early characters and
              • Later on, characters typically do have the protections against blind/confusion/fear, so it's a waste of time for monsters to cast them.

So this really arises naturally. This version of FA is based heavily on version 4.2 of V, which actually did a lot of changes to monsters. When I was doing that I did reconsider each monster's spell list. Of course, there's always a chance that I was just biased (along with those who play-tested it) towards what already existed.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                Knight
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                The early monsters tend to cast these for two main reasons:
                • Monsters that do a lot of damage at range can be very lethal for early characters and
                • Later on, characters typically do have the protections against blind/confusion/fear, so it's a waste of time for monsters to cast them.

So this really arises naturally. This version of FA is based heavily on version 4.2 of V, which actually did a lot of changes to monsters. When I was doing that I did reconsider each monster's spell list. Of course, there's always a chance that I was just biased (along with those who play-tested it) towards what already existed.
                sure i get that, my beef is this however....I shouldn't need an immunity just to progress further in the game, and I know in some cases you need resistance for some things to keep from getting killed. If I am playing a warrior and i reach DL 29 per say and things are tough but im steadily progressing down and I start running into situations to where i cannot progress any farther because i am getting bombarded with scar/terrify spells to where the game just stops and I have to start store scumming to find what i need to move on. My warrior which is dwarven longbeard warrior should not be so easily terrified all the time, you just start chugging potions of heroism/boldness/berserk just to keep moving on in the game. To me this is aggravating gameplay...if a spellcaster can cast scare/bindness/confusion and also some more spellcasting friends that also cast blind/confuse and or terrify then you see what happens here is just pure hell and game stopping until you get the required immunity...I envision these spells to be more rare and scare/terrify only for more powerful beings. If im running a warrior and hes constantly terrifed then the saving throw sucks or hes just a sissy.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                  Knight
                  • May 2007

spellcasters that summon friends or appear with friends that are other spellcasters also that have those same similar spells could be the problem here.

also please dont take this as criticism as it is only spirited debate, and my pov...I imagine yourself and the people play testing are pro's. myself a veteran and longtime player but no pro for sure...but i kind of feel like you want to the game to be appealing to new players and to me the constant blind/confuse/terrify and potion chugging heroism and ccw just to keep playing is enough to put the game down.
                  Last edited by Malak Darkhunter; October 24, 2021, 03:10.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                    This is intended. It's the always landing on the stairs of Amon Rudh 15 that isn't.
                    And it looks like I've fixed that now.

Comment

• wobbly
                      Prophet
                      • May 2012

Earthquakes when outdoors still cause "the ceiling to cave in"

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                        Knight
                        • May 2007

okay some weird behavior......using treasure detection reveals some "red" item pieces on the map that disappears and a wooden torch lying on the floor disappeared right as soon as i walked up to it...also im noticing doors are opening in front of me before i get to them..could some of this be explained by item squelching? if so then why generate the item on the map? also my character has telepathy and have not noticed any creature picking up the items.

also this seems to be happening primarily on maze levels.
                        Last edited by Malak Darkhunter; October 24, 2021, 16:38.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

An invisible E Is a possibility. But in LOS, I would expect a message, "It crushes the wooden torch."

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                            Knight
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                            An invisible E Is a possibility. But in LOS, I would expect a message, "It crushes the wooden torch."
                            I had considered that possibility but after exploring the whole maze level i didnt encounter any foe that could have picked up or destroyed the item, nor any invisible stalker...the detected "red" items dissapear as soon my torchlight illuminates the square as i move to it. dosent seem to happen on normal levels except maze levels.

Comment

• Sideways
                              Knight
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
                              I had considered that possibility but after exploring the whole maze level i didnt encounter any foe that could have picked up or destroyed the item, nor any invisible stalker...the detected "red" items dissapear as soon my torchlight illuminates the square as i move to it. dosent seem to happen on normal levels except maze levels.
                              That's how squelching works in modern V and V-likes; although it could also be explained by monsters picking up or destroying the item. It is a bit confusing until you get used to it.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                                Knight
                                • May 2007

That's how squelching works in modern V and V-likes; although it could also be explained by monsters picking up or destroying the item. It is a bit confusing until you get used to it.

it has to be squelch then.....there is no monster , this is happening as soon as my torchlight should illuminate the object but disappears instead. Still I guess this is pre-set squelching by default as i have made no adjustments to the game myself. Still why am I noticing this primarily on only maze levels?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎