X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NON
    Rookie
    • Aug 2020

Blessed Fighter?

The Blessed Fighter Paladin ability says they get a "melee bonus" to blessed and hafted weapons. I found no explanation in the manual what this means exactly so I did a bit of code diving.

From what I found it seems they get +2 to hit and damage with blessed weapons? But I found no trace of any bonus for hafted weapons. Is the in-game description for this ability wrong? Should it just say blessed weapons? Also, I don't know if it's against the design of the game or something, but it would be nice if the description said exactly what bonus it gives in numbers, instead of just a "melee bonus".

(Also, the manual still talks about selling items in shops.)
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by NON
    (Also, the manual still talks about selling items in shops.)
    Just because no-selling is on by default, it can easily be changed to selling in the birth options at character formation. The manual should definitely still contain information regarding selling items.
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• NON
      Rookie
      • Aug 2020

Sure, but the manual talks about it as if selling is the default/only way that the game works:

Each character has some gold, which can be used to buy items from the shops in the town, and which can be obtained not only from selling items to the shops, but also by taking it from dead monsters and by finding it in the dungeon. Each character starts out with some gold, the amount of which is based on the character’s social class (higher is better) and stats (less powerful characters start with more gold). Each character also starts out with a few useful items, which may be kept, or sold to a shop-keeper for more gold. However, especially valuable items will never sell for the full price, as each shopkeeper has a maximum that they are prepared to pay for any item. The more generous shopkeepers may buy your items for up to 30,000 gold pieces: but some are really stingy, and will pay no more than 5,000.

Comment

• klassik
        Apprentice
        • Sep 2013

no selling changed to default since 4.0
        He did the mash.
        He did the morgoth mash.
        The morgoth mash.
        It was an angband smash.

Comment

• joeljpa
          Scout
          • Feb 2017

More than two years later, I have this exact query.

Originally posted by NON
          The Blessed Fighter Paladin ability says they get a "melee bonus" to blessed and hafted weapons. I found no explanation in the manual what this means exactly so I did a bit of code diving.

From what I found it seems they get +2 to hit and damage with blessed weapons? But I found no trace of any bonus for hafted weapons.
          Does it now I wonder with the current version? Thanks for your code-diving. I tried just checking wielding a regular weapon and a blessed one with my current paladin and can't make out any bonus to-hit increase. Damage I can't manually calculate since that's harder, I got two artifacts and one is blessed. Will need to go into wizard mode if that's possible here. I'm not so familiar with how the mode works here but I'll try. What's more confusing is the game is saying "combat bonuses for holy casters" and I get a message saying "you feel attuned to your weapon" but what has increased I'm not sure.

From the manual as per latest version:
          A blessed blade will increase your wisdom. If you are a priest, wielding a non-blessed sword or polearm causes a small penalty while attacking and may infuriate your god, decreasing the chances that she will accept your prayers: a blessed blade may be wielded without this penalty.

FYI I don't see any changes in my Prayers failure rate chance.

Originally posted by NON
          Also, I don't know if it's against the design of the game or something, but it would be nice if the description said exactly what bonus it gives in numbers, instead of just a "melee bonus".
          I echo this!

Comment

• backwardsEric
            Knight
            • Aug 2019

Originally posted by joeljpa
            Does it now I wonder with the current version? Thanks for your code-diving. I tried just checking wielding a regular weapon and a blessed one with my current paladin and can't make out any bonus to-hit increase. Damage I can't manually calculate since that's harder, I got two artifacts and one is blessed.
            Hafted weapons still do not get a bonus. You can check the damage by inspecting the item ('I') if it's equipped, in your pack, or at your feet or examining it ('l') if it's in a store or your home. One way to see the to-hit effect would be to equip the weapon of interest and then look up the monster knowledge ('~' and then 'e') for a monster that's been encountered enough for its armor rating and your chance to hit it to be shown. Harder to hit monsters should show the effect of a to-hit bonus more clearly.

From the manual as per latest version:
            A blessed blade will increase your wisdom. If you are a priest, wielding a non-blessed sword or polearm causes a small penalty while attacking and may infuriate your god, decreasing the chances that she will accept your prayers: a blessed blade may be wielded without this penalty.

FYI I don't see any changes in my Prayers failure rate chance.
            In the current code, there's no effect on spellcasting for wielding a blessed weapon.

Comment

• PowerDiver
              Prophet
              • Mar 2008

The way to test for plusses is to unwield your melee weapon, read the plusses for Melee and To-Hit on the 'C' screen, wield it and see how much they change. Presumably they will increase by 2 more than the listed values if your paladin wields a blessed weapon. E.g. a +4,+7 weapon should increase Melee + by 9 and To-hit + by 6.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Eddie--
                Indeed, that is what happens. But not for hafted weapons. I had previously intended to propose a request to change squelch logic to merge the various weapon types. But that only holds if there's no hafted bonus to Paladins, or axe bonus to dwarves.

Comment

• joeljpa
                  Scout
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by PowerDiver
                  The way to test for plusses is to unwield your melee weapon, read the plusses for Melee and To-Hit on the 'C' screen, wield it and see how much they change.
                  This trick of yours is quite handy! Makes it simpler to check, I was comparing it with another weapon before, silly me.

I see it. I see the +2 to hit. For reference, my character is a High Elf Paladin and I'm using Glamdring. So to clarify, that's the only bonus blessed weapons give and there's no such bonus for hafted blessed weapons.

Thanks all of you for your replies.

Comment

• backwardsEric
                    Knight
                    • Aug 2019

So to clarify, that's the only bonus blessed weapons give and there's no such bonus for hafted blessed weapons.
                    Hafted alone doesn't currently get a bonus. A hafted weapon which has the blessed melee flag will get the bonuses.

Comment

• Sky
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2016

i dont know if this is another weird change in 4.2 but until 4.1, Priests had a penalty when wielding "weapons that shed blood", i.e. swords, another gift that Dungeons & Dragons left us with. As opposed to weapons that *do not* shed blood, maces and other blunt weapons.

If you did wield a normal sword, you would get a slight penalty to your hit chance, and your fail rate was slightly raised. Hit chance less significant, spell failure more.

Weapons that are normally blunt, such as hammers, maces, etc MODs .. do not have this penalty. Weapons that are "blessed by the gods" also do not have this penalty.

4.1 had randarts that were both blunt and blessed, which was useless.
                      "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍