X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

force run to ignore quartz veins?

is there a way to force the run command to ignore the quartz gold veins ?
    for some reason, when using the (.) command to run, @ stops when encountering a vein (the things in the wall that if you dig, you get a gold drop).
    "i can take this dracolich"
  • DavidMedley
    Veteran
    • Oct 2019

What if you want to mine it?
    Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Sky
      Veteran
      • Oct 2016

by the time you are running you dont care about 20gold.

Comment

• Sphara
        Knight
        • Oct 2016

I really wouldn't mind if the game had an option to ignore treasure veins while running.

Comment

• archolewa
          Swordsman
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Sky
          by the time you are running you dont care about 20gold.
          Thats kind of funny because I always run (using Shift+movement key) from the moment I first enter the dungeon. I find it much safer because the game automatically stops me as soon as an enemy comes in LOS, so I dont get triple turned because Im blindly spamming the movement keys. Granted this probably isnt a big risk because I make pretty heavy use of detection. But still, I like having the extra safeguard.

That being said, I think skipping veins when running would be fine. While I probably mine more than many, they arent really worthy of interrupting a run.

Comment

• Sideways
            Knight
            • Nov 2008

FrogComposband has an option to not ignore veins while running. I actually do turn it on occasionally, but in my experience, few other people do; and since mining is probably even less lucrative in V, ignoring veins while running does sound like a sensible default.
            The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Sky
              Veteran
              • Oct 2016

..where is @Nick when one needs him ...

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

I've been looking into the history of this. There used to be (separate) options to ignore doors and stairs when running; these got removed in takkaria's great cleanout of options. I don't believe there was ever one for not stopping for gold.

Putting the option in would be easy enough - but I'd want to be convinced there are enough people that want it, because I don't want to head too far back in the direction of having a whole bunch of options that hardly get used and mainly just add complications to anyone wanting to change the code (me, for example).

Alternatively, we could just make running not stop for gold, and so people who wanted to mine would have to walk back.

What do people think? Note that in any case, this will not be added to 4.1
                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                  Knight
                  • Sep 2010

Run past gold veins. No option flag.

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

I'm one of the few people who turn the option to stop at veins on in fcpb, even if I don't plan to mine it I like to have more interruptions. Back when trap detection borders were a thing you used to run only so far before hitting the border, now you can end up running a distance that is fairly risky if the corridor is long enough. Now I wouldn't be too bothered if it didn't stop for veins, but my preference is for it to stop. It'd also be nice to have some way to short run that wasn't n10shift+dir though maybe it's just easy enough to keymap that.

Comment

• Sphara
                      Knight
                      • Oct 2016

@Nick
                      I did not know there has been a clearance of options in the past. So if the development preference is to avoid making options for every minor details, then my opinion on the subject is word on word same as Thraalbee's.

Comment

• fph
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2009

What I'd really like is an option for "disturb 1-2 turns before that pack of Dreads enters LOS, since you can clearly see where they are with your ESP".
                        --
                        Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Sky
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2016

who mines gold?? i cannot think of a less profitable per/turn and IRL time activity in the entire game.

Comment

• Adam
                            Adept
                            • Feb 2016

You can also mine with stone to mud, don't you? So with rings of digging it's not that time consuming either in game turns or in real life.
                            To be honest I didn't mine any gold for years... the only situation I could imagine doing that is if the BM has something I really need and I don't have enough money for it.

Comment

• mrfy
                              Swordsman
                              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Sky
                              who mines gold?? i cannot think of a less profitable per/turn and IRL time activity in the entire game.
                              With ring of digging it doesn't take long. Plus, with selling turned off you get more $$ from the treasure. It's much better than carting loot you're not going to use all the way to town to try to sell to shopkeepers.

And there are also those of us who don't care about turn count.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎