X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
    That's because the unique can be used as a shapechange form for other mobs, which doesn't care about the unique being dead.
    I hope that's it, but being dead in monster knowledge is a worry.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Sinquen
      Rookie
      • Feb 2015

Fox form blows per round

Another possible issue - Fox Form is getting more rather than fewer blows per round, even though the character attributes screen shows -Blows. Original form using Dagmor is 3.6 blows/round, and Fox Form gets 5.3 blows/round, resulting in significantly more damage output.

That's according to the displayed weapon stats, and testing seems to confirm, as switching to Fox Form allows noticeably quicker kills of multi-hued dragons and such.

Pukel-man form gets 4.3 blows/round, an increase which seems appropriate due to the +4 STR bonus, and Eagle Form gets the same number of blows as original form, which also seems appropriate. So it's only Fox Form that seems unexpected (haven't tested Bear Form yet).

Comment

• PowerWyrm
        Prophet
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Nick
        I hope that's it, but being dead in monster knowledge is a worry.
        The unique is dead in that case. It's just that the Maia that can shapechange into Quaker just tries to impersonate a dead Quaker. Seems fine to me...
        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• quarague
          Swordsman
          • Jun 2012

Got a minor display error here. Log of events:
          You see a sling .. {??}
          You have a sling .. {??}
          You were holding a Long Bow
          You have learned the rune of shooting speed.
          You have a Sling of Extra Shots
          Your bow tingles in your hands [wait what? it's a sling]
          You are shooting with a Sling of Extra Shots

Character is a ranger if that matters.

Comment

• Sinquen
            Rookie
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
            The unique is dead in that case. It's just that the Maia that can shapechange into Quaker just tries to impersonate a dead Quaker. Seems fine to me...
            Can't speak for the other game, but in my game, it acted exactly like Beorn, switching forms with each form behaving differently ("p" form had normal speed and "q" form moved quickly for example). Also, there are multiple Beorn kills in player history, as shown in the attached image.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Sinquen
              Rookie
              • Feb 2015

Shapeshifting and using items while viewing the inventory

Should it be possible to eat or throw items while in different forms? Pressing "E" with a Slime Mold in inventory while in fox form gives a message that there is nothing that can be eaten. However, viewing the food item in inventory and selecting the "E" option allows eating.

Eating is helpful for druids to cast Rapid Regeneration and then switch to a form such as Pukel-man to quickly get up to the increased max health. Without eating, starting at 50% Fed, the character will be hungry in 5 turns or so and weak from hunger soon after. If it's not possible to eat, then I suppose a good way to do this would be to cast Remove Hunger and then eat a food item before casting RR and P-M Form, so that the Fed level ends up at about 30% rather than 10%. That would work fine for items such as Rations or Slime Molds, although not as good for fixed percentage food such as Elven Waybread or Honeycakes. Maybe that's okay - druids might not benefit as much from those as other classes.

Likewise, pressing "v" gives a message that no items can be thrown while in fox form, but viewing a throwing hammer in inventory and then selecting "v" allows it to be thrown.

By the way, I am really enjoying the new classes in 4.2. With all the new changes, it's no surprise that there are a lot of bugs to be worked out.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sinquen
                Should it be possible to eat or throw items while in different forms?
                It should not. Filed as a bug.

Comment

• Hounded
                  Adept
                  • Jan 2019

I hadn't noticed the workaround bug to eat from inventory but I did admire the consistency of being able to eat found food straight from the floor while shapechanged. If that was unintentional I think it should be left that way.

It's conceivable to 1) Drop Food 2) Rapid Regeneration 3) Shape Change 4) Eat from floor now and then; but that only works if you're determined to have a stand-up prize-fight slug fest.

In those kind of encounters though if I'm going to lose a turn to feeding/healing I'll want something with a bit more zip than just to sustain rapid regen.
                  It Breathes. You die.

Comment

• Grotug
                    Veteran
                    • Nov 2013

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but I didn't see it doing a quick search, soo.. is anyone aware that wands of heal monster are actually very useful to a mage? Here's why: You find a wand of heal monster on the ground, you tap it for 30+ mana. Then you recharge the wand (22 charges) and now you have 30 mana for the total cost of 7 mana. So basically you're getting 23 free mana whenever you need it. Pretty darn handy.

Also, cure light wound staff is super invaluable for my mage in the low DL20s.

free mana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tQBIoUdtZo#t=9m19s
                    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Grotug
                      Veteran
                      • Nov 2013

"You see a trap door"
                      "You disable a trap door"
                      "You collect some things"
                      "You walk back where the trap door used to be"
                      "You see a normal floor there. No trap door."
                      "You fall through a trap door."

Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Thraalbee
                        Knight
                        • Sep 2010

Some traps are only temporarily disabled :-)

Comment

• Grotug
                          Veteran
                          • Nov 2013

So very diabolical. I was almost completely done clearing the vault of baddies and valuables. It was a 9-9 vault. Your explanation is Still a little suspect, though. The vault was lit; the floor was lit. Shouldn’t my @ have seen the trap return? I stepped on an empty square. Never saw the trap the second time.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Yes. I suspect it became enabled in the very turn you stepped on it, which seems like a bug to me.

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Grotug
                              "You see a trap door"
                              "You disable a trap door"
                              "You collect some things"
                              "You walk back where the trap door used to be"
                              "You see a normal floor there. No trap door."
                              "You fall through a trap door."

This is a known bug (#4205) I need to chase down about trap display. The main way I have seen it manifest is "detected traps" appearing as floor grids, but it also happens in other ways, which I think you just found.

Comment

• Grotug
                                Veteran
                                • Nov 2013

Okay. Here is a video of the trap behaving in weird/unexpected ways:

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎