X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Bugs in 4.2.0

I have just gone through looking for bug reports, and found 29 - current list is here.

Please let me know if I've missed any. Note that this does not imply a schedule for fixing

Also, this thread is a good place for future bug reports (if any...).
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  • wobbly
    Prophet
    • May 2012

The targeting for breathe weapons is out. Monsters target the "knight move" even though the breathe cone wont hit.

Comment

• bron
      Knight
      • May 2008

Not exactly a bug, but a mis-feature: books are a different color on the ground than they are in inventory. For example, a mage book is red when on the floor, but blue in your inventory (and in the bookseller's shop). It certainly seems to me that they should be the same color in both instances. (I don't really care much *which* color, just the *same* color)

Comment

• Grotug
        Veteran
        • Nov 2013

The strangest thing just happened in my game. And I mean strange. So strange, I'm not sure I'll even be able to explain it clearly.

So I'm playing my game, I'm on DL85 I think, and CL50, I'm mulling over gear setup, and finally make my decision on what I'm dropping from my pack. I tab-switch to file folder and delete another video I recorded (my external drive stopped working). Let me be clear, I did not close Angband. I tab-switch back to the game and the most strangest thing has transpired. The game now shows me on DL72, CL46, in a situation I remember very clearly because I had been recording this earlier and there was a very odd glitch in the recording at this precise point in the past (which you can find on my YT channel). The glitch came about because I accidentally swapped between Angband and another app while recording, and the recording app kept recording the audio of the game but failed to display Angband properly (the video portion of the recording was stuck on the exact same scene as my game has mysteriously just reverted to now). But that's not the strangeness I am here to report on. The strangeness is... why am I suddenly playing Angband from the past?? Stranger yet, all my sub-windows (the ones that tell me what just happened, monsters and treasure near by) are still the DL85/CL50 windows that just happened even though the main window is clearly showing game state from DL72, CL46! I am completely boggled, flummoxed.

To ensure that Angband wasn't just displaying some false image of a past game, I do stuff in this past Angband and it all seems real, I kill the beetle again, everything appears normal in this past version of Angband, my inventory is past inventory (when I press 'I', even though the objects-near-by-sub-window show 'true present' DL50 objects!) Stranger yet, the sub-window that shows my inventory shows my present inventory, not the past inventory, so 'I' inventory is showing objects I possessed in this past state, and the window'd inventory is showing what I am holding in the true present!

Seriously, folks, stranger things have not happened....

Now I don't know what to do. I'm afraid if I close Angband it will save the game in this past state and I'll lose all my recent progress. If I force quit Angband I'll have to replay the level I just played again (as I am not sure I saved during the level). I suppose the latter is my best option, but I really don't want to replay the level as there were nasty sky dragons I killed and an annihilation dragon and two undead pits including black reavers and none of them did any significant harm to me. I'm sure I will not be so lucky replaying the level. /sigh

To recap: so not only is it strange that the game is suddenly in a past (passed?) state, but it's at precisely the same point in my game's history when it glitched making a screen recording.

How did the game ninja-load a previous state? Where would such a previous state be saved? Doesn't Angband continuously overwrite past game states each time it autosaves at the start of a level or when I save the game manually?

If anyone feels like positing some theories on this extremely strange situation, (and advice on how I might be able to get back to the true present in my game) I would be very appreciative of any help. Thanks!

EDIT: Coinciding with this I just noticed that Google Chrome reloaded a bunch of tabs it had mysteriously disappeared earlier (Chrome does this from time to time after I've closed my laptop and open it later). So I had only 3 tabs open before going to bed, but now I'm just noticing that all those old tabs that mysteriously had all disappeared are all back now. I notice the old tabs not because visually I see all the tabs, I noticed they were old tabs because I'm reading Harry Potter in one of the tabs and was scratching my head just now as to why the page I was just reading from three chapters ago (I had already read this part).

So, yeah, not only has the main window of my game reverted to the past, but my browsing tabs have as well. I wonder if these two passed (past?) versions of computational reality are at the same point in the past? Anyway, this seems more like a glitch in my computer (or in The Matrix) rather than in Angband.

Dear Matrix,
        I would like my present back, thanks!
        Last edited by Grotug; October 5, 2019, 12:22.
        Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Grotug
          Veteran
          • Nov 2013

I went into the Angband save folder just now and the save file is dated 10/4 10:11pm so that would be the more recent version of events I think, but that was over an hour before I stopped playing last night, so looks like I'll probably have to redo at least some of the level. At least the save file isn't from this morning or whenever I was CL46 on DL72....

Maybe I shouldn't be derailing this thread and these two posts of mine should be their own thread....
          Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• wobbly
            Prophet
            • May 2012

As a side note I'm glad mushrooms of hallucination made it back into the game and I enjoy there new trippy effects.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Comment

• fph
              Veteran
              • Apr 2009

Grotug: maybe you inadvertently opened two Angband windows with the same savefile rather than one? I don't know what happens in that case, but that looks like a possibility.
              --
              Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

My best guess is you're low on sleep and dreamed that you did some playing that actually didn't happen. Seriously.

Comment

• Adam
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by fph
                  Grotug: maybe you inadvertently opened two Angband windows with the same savefile rather than one? I don't know what happens in that case, but that looks like a possibility.
                  I also had this experience and it is a very possible explanation.
                  When going to sleep you save the game and minimize Angband.
                  When waking up you start a new instance of Angband (because you don't recognize it's already running). Now you play parallel from the same starting point.
                  Then when switching tabs you accidentally switch to the idle game and don't know what happened.

Comment

• Grotug
                    Veteran
                    • Nov 2013

I took screenshots of the game with both states simultaneously existing: the DL72 main game window and the DL85 inventory windows. I’m at work right now but I will review the game state when I get back tomorrow evening (I might be able to get on tonight). I’ve had strange dreams that I thought were real but which I was able to eventually figure out were really just dreams but this is definitely not one of those cases.

I didn’t open any files. I was playing along on DL85 and switched to explorer for a second to delete a video and then switched back to Angband. No loading of a file happened. The game suddenly was DL72 instead of DL85. What I think I may do is copy the save file as a back up. Then I’ll quit the game normally and then open the program again and reload the save game and see if I get the DL72 version or the DL85. I may even stream doing this live (tho I’ve never streamed live before so not sure I know how). I have video of me playing after DL72, on DL85: https://youtu.be/Ebs8y1CZY9g

I also have the game recorded that glitched at the precise point I’m now at in the game. The glitch happens around the 12 minute mark: https://youtu.be/ElD3JolSvI8
                    Last edited by Grotug; October 5, 2019, 19:25.

Comment

• Pussy Galore
                      Rookie
                      • Nov 2011

A cosmetic issue that is not on the list yet --- Chaos Dragon Scale Mail has both a typo and wonky grammar in its description. Currently it reads

A suit of scales. Every shape, in every color imaginable, riot andcontend upon
                      its surface as you stare in fascination.

There should be a space between "and" and "contend". What's more, "[e]very shape [...] riot and contend" doesn't work grammatically. If anything it should perhaps be "riots and contends", but even then the whole thing sounds wonky to my ears, though I understand what it is trying to express.

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

"A suit of scales that ripples and twists through every color and shape imaginable as you stare in fascination." How's that?

Comment

• Pussy Galore
                          Rookie
                          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Derakon
                          "A suit of scales that ripples and twists through every color and shape imaginable as you stare in fascination." How's that?
                          This sounds perfect to me.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2009

Since CUMBER_GLOVE has been removed, what good are alchemist's gloves? Maybe something should be added to make them a worthwhile item for fragile magic casters.
                            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                            ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Grotug
                              Veteran
                              • Nov 2013

So I just copied my save game of my game before all this weird shit started happening. I pasted it into my documents folder as a backup. I closed Angband. I opened Angband, reloaded my game and it loads the DL72 version of events. So I close Angband, go into my documents folder, and cannot find the save file I just backed up there. So I figure, well, it's probably still in the clipboard, so I paste it, and it pastes the file, but it's not the date of the file I copied, it's the new save that was just written to my Angband folder. So I have no idea where the old back up of my DL85 game went. This is so extremely bizarre.

I was actually considering making a bunch of copies of the save file and placing them in multiple locations in case something bizarre like this occurred but I figured that would be excessive and neurotic....

Anyway, I have no desire to keep playing this character, even if it is a winning Ironman game. It will remain a complete mystery where the DL85 game went to. Mysteriously vanished and vanquished.

Hmm... maybe the ring I activated with the activation "does bizarre things" has overreached the boundaries of Angband.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎