X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gglibertine
    Adept
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
    For example, if you go from +30 speed to +40 speed, you're actually only 10.5% faster. So if you're sacrificing less than 10% of your damage-dealing capability to get that extra 10% speed, it's worth going for speed. If you were trading 20% damage for 10% speed, or getting less of a speed bonus, then it might not be worth doing.
    I see! Considering how much of this game comes down to math, it's kind of amazing that I enjoy it so much.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

This is why people say things like "don't really worry about speed once you can get to +30 from temporary haste."

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

@Derakon--
        And "speed over 40 is worthless", because the actual energy per unit speed is pitifully small. At least between 30 and 40 you get *something*.

Comment

• wobbly
          Prophet
          • May 2012

I think +30 un-hasted is worthwhile if you can get it. It's not worth sacrificing something important for but if you're lucky enough to find feanor's boots or you are wearing Cubragol with 2 rings of power etc. etc. you tend to get it without sacrificing anything. +30 has that nice "I'm still at +30 the round my speed potion suddenly ends" thing going on.

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

Thats a first age problem.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Estie
              Thats a first age problem.
              Actually speed tends to be a bit harder to get in FA.

*ducks*
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

On the other hand, sometimes it is almost impossible to avoid ridiculously high speed. I currently have Cubragol, Ringil, and a RoSpeed(+16) equipped for speed 39 (with Boots of Thror equipped for CON/STR to round it out.)

When I get home, I will probably trade the RoSpeed for a second Damage ring. But in the mean time, it's like having zero-fail for rods of Teleport other with a warrior. Nothing ever gets the jump on me.

Originally posted by wobbly
                I think +30 un-hasted is worthwhile if you can get it. It's not worth sacrificing something important for but if you're lucky enough to find feanor's boots or you are wearing Cubragol with 2 rings of power etc. etc. you tend to get it without sacrificing anything. +30 has that nice "I'm still at +30 the round my speed potion suddenly ends" thing going on.

Comment

• gglibertine
                  Adept
                  • Dec 2007

After a break of a couple of weeks, I picked this character back up last night -- and died this afternoon when Glaurung summoned a bunch of serious backup and I got nailed by multiple massive breath weapons because I didn't TP out instantly.

It was a stupid death, but I learned a LOT from this character. I feel like I've leveled up. I'm more confident of my ability to get to the same power level again! Thanks again for all your advice. I just downloaded the latest build and I'm ready to try again!

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Bummer. Death by boredom is a real problem for characters this strong. The temptation is to kill uniques other than the bosses. But there are only a few for which it actually is wise (although the number goes up with more immunities.)

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎