X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

what does starlight DO ?

i've been playing this game now for what, 2 years straight, and i still cannot tell you what Starlight does.

I used to think scrolls of Teleport Level and Deep Descent were cursed items and would squelch them right away, and yet i've come to know better - but still i cannot find a use for Starlight. I can make use of Trap Creation (trapdoors), Summon Monsters (easy exp), i've learned to appreciate the finer aspects of the game (of sorts) but .. WHAT DOES STARLIGHT DO.

Is it supposed to be a buffed staff of light? Because it's not, it doesn't light up rooms.
    Is it supposed to be a buffed WAND of light? I suppose it could be, but less charges and no real use for the additional beams. I'm thinking it's supposed to hurt light-sensitive monsters, but the awkward activation makes it marginally more useful than a simple DL1 wand of light, that weights more and has less charges.

Unless you have a whoooole bunch of orcs all surrounding you, in which case GG.
    "i can take this dracolich"
  • Goaticus
    Rookie
    • Apr 2019

I'm glad you asked! I don't know the answer but can't wait to see what others say. I've been playing the game (on and off) for ~25 years now and I have never found a use for them so don't feel bad. Or maybe I should feel bad, too...

Comment

• Estie
      Veteran
      • Apr 2008

It is more useful than the amulet of adornment, or is it ?

I think I used one once when I just happened to find it and didnt have a wand of light and wanted to light up a hallway. But yeah, squelched as found for me

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

It's a shame they're not more useful, because the name is evocative and there's good support in the literature for light that holds back evil. Maybe they should be buffed somehow? Something like:

* Add a Light Room effect in addition to the rays
        * Make the rays "hard light" that hurts even not-normally-susceptible monsters
        * Grant a short Protection from Evil effect

I could also imagine something where you plant the staff into the ground and it fires off its regular effect every turn after that until it runs out of charges. Which would be cool but considerably more work to implement. And I'm not sure it's that much more useful.

Comment

• Goaticus
          Rookie
          • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Derakon
          It's a shame they're not more useful, because the name is evocative and there's good support in the literature for light that holds back evil. Maybe they should be buffed somehow? Something like:

I could also imagine something where you plant the staff into the ground and it fires off its regular effect every turn after that until it runs out of charges. Which would be cool but considerably more work to implement. And I'm not sure it's that much more useful.
          How about a "sea of runes" type effect centered on player. Using the staff creates temporary "light" runes in a small radius centered on player. Orcs and trolls flee the area or take increased damage or something like that. That might make it useful from dungeon level 5-30ish without being overpowered. Also would be consistent-ish with Tolkien lore.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon

I like this, although maybe some sort of fear effect instead of the PfE.
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

It makes a pretty design in a dark room, and if your delay factor is set high enough it makes an awesome special effect as it fires off. It's like you're holding an awesome firework that you can make go splodey boom ANYTIME you want. Wow!
              You are on something strange

Comment

• MITZE
                Swordsman
                • Jan 2017

Something I've suggested for the Henglikes on the webserver is to make _Starlight randomly target a random amount (3-7?) of r1 balls of strong light (strong light as a damage type being a monster only thing, as far as I remember from pre-restructure and rework V; it's much more player-accessible in the Henglikes).
                Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• Grotug
                  Veteran
                  • Nov 2013

I like Derakon's idea as well. Protection from fear does seem thematically fitting. Holy light is comforting and thus emboldening. Maybe it could provide resistance to dark as well for 1d15+5 turns. rDark would be a nice antidote to dark hounds early on and makes sense the bright light would repel the darkness and protect @ from it momentarily.

How come rods of starlight don't exist?
                  Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Voovus
                    Adept
                    • Feb 2018

Staff of Starlight is an old relic from Moria, where I think it might have been the only light that damaged light sensitive creatures. Also, in those days of old, @ could only shoot/aim in eight directions, and Starlight shoots in all eight simultaneously. Even so, it was already pretty useless back then.

I'd be interested in having an effect like: light room + light corridors, without waking monsters. After all, star light ought to be very soft (Gollum tolerated it), except perhaps towards light-sensitive undead.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                      Knight
                      • Dec 2008

These are all good suggestions.

My thoughts...
                      Light Room
                      temporary:
                      rFear
                      sInvis
                      detect Evil
                      free action
                      disarm traps

so make it a really good utility item but with minimal offense

VV rDark and +stealth sound good too
                      Last edited by bio_hazard; April 23, 2019, 18:21.

Comment

• Sky
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2016

the suggestions i like the best are:
                        rDark (because everyone hates dark hounds when you are low level and dont have pBlind)
                        create some sort of ball centered around @ that does not wake monsters (if possible)

that makes is a staff of STARlight, actually feels nice in the mood of V.

a staff of starLIGHT would be more along the lines of .. well, balls of damaging light, as said. Still unlikely to use it tho.
                        "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Grotug
                          Veteran
                          • Nov 2013

@BioHazard I like and agree with your addition of See Invisible but I feel your bottom three are a bit overreaching, especially the free action. However, detecting all traps on squares where the light hits would be good.

Honestly I'm kind of excited to find one of these buffed staffs of starlight and try it out, so long as it's not packing too many powers into it.
                          Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• bio_hazard
                            Knight
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Grotug
                            @BioHazard I like and agree with your addition of See Invisible but I feel your bottom three are a bit overreaching, especially the free action. However, detecting all traps on squares where the light hits would be good.

Honestly I'm kind of excited to find one of these buffed staffs of starlight and try it out, so long as it's not packing too many powers into it.
                            Agreed, detect evil might be a step too far. Free Action seems powerful but most characters will probably already have it so I don't know that it is too strong.

Comment

• wobbly
                              Prophet
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by Sky
                              a staff of starLIGHT would be more along the lines of .. well, balls of damaging light, as said. Still unlikely to use it tho.
                              I'd milk the hell out of that if it was dropping at the right depth for those moria levels with the big starburst rooms packed with trolls & orcs

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎