X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sphara
    Knight
    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Narry
    - remove nexus quylthulgs, they're nothing but an annoyance (especially when exploring a vault and you have a level feeling of X-9 or X-8)
    Nexus quylthulg is mostly just a super annoying monster. Hard-to-detect teleport away machine. But non-resistible teleport also makes it potentially one of the most dangerous critter, depending on a situation developed on the level ofc.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

- remove hand, foot and skull drujs, they're hardly anything but an annoyance
      Okay, now I want a foot druj, which unlike the other ones is mobile. (the variety you missed was the eye druj, by the way)

As for your other suggestions, my advice is to try to internalize the fact that there's an infinite supply of dungeon levels, so the contents of any one level (or indeed any portion of any one level) are not special. It makes no particular difference if you ditch one level halfway through; you can make an unlimited supply of statistically identical levels. It helps (when trying to learn this lesson) to turn level feelings off, since they do nothing but encourage you to think about what makes this one level special. It's not special. No level is special.

Once you've learned this lesson, you'll be far more willing to abandon a level if it has something you don't want, and far less bothered about getting kicked off a level by a monster with a teleport-level spell.

Comment

• Adam
        Adept
        • Feb 2016

That is true Derakon, with a few exceptions. I think most of us had the experience when enlightenment showed something you really needed (missing dungeon book, an unknown ring type when you know it must be a ring of power etc) and you can't get near the precious loot inside a perma-wall vault because it is guarded by a nexus q. That's annoying for sure. If it's a forced descent game, it can really hurt.
        I still would not remove them, they are part of the challenge. But I can understand if someone gets upset after such an encounter

Comment

• wobbly
          Prophet
          • May 2012

If I was the dictator maintainer (and a super duper programmer), I would make these changes in the next version:

- remove magic mushroom patches, they're nothing but an annoyance
          - remove nexus quylthulgs, they're nothing but an annoyance (especially when exploring a vault and you have a level feeling of X-9 or X-8)
          - remove hand, foot and skull drujs, they're hardly anything but an annoyance
          - a warrior should not get a good level feeling when a high level prayer / spellbook is created on a level, same thing about green prayer books for mages/rogues/rangers and red spellbooks for priests and paladins
          The last in your list is the only one requiring code changes, so you don't actually need to be a super duper coder.

I also 2nd the addition of foot drujs. They could have stinking cloud as their main attack spell.

Comment

• Huqhox
            Adept
            • Apr 2016

Sounds like foot drujs are up for inclusion in the monster list overhaul!

You might say they could be a shoe-in

(And no I'm not proud of that)
            "This has not been a recording"

Comment

• Narry
              Scout
              • Sep 2018

Oh dear... what have I unleashed?

Comment

• EpicMan
                Swordsman
                • Dec 2009

Nick needs to put his foot down on this.

:-)

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

OK, that's enough.

Anyone who doesn't toe the line will get the boot.
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

While we're at joke characters:

name:Head of Vecna
                    base: skeleton
                    color: y
                    level: 5
                    speed: 120
                    hit-points: 55
                    flags: UNIQUE
                    spell-freq: 1
                    spell: TRAPS | SLOW | CONFUSE | DARKNESS | SHRIEK |TERRIFY | BLINK
                    spell-power: 8
                    experience: 50
                    desc: A floating skull flickering with eldritch shadows.

Comment

• Voovus
                      Adept
                      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by EpicMan
                      Nick needs to put his foot down on this.
                      You mean create Nick's foot the druj (Unique)? I guess that's one way for our maintainer to achieve immortality...

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                        While we're at joke characters:

name:Head of Vecna
                        base: skeleton
                        Needs the NO_MOVE tag, and also clearly should only be generated once Vecna himself has been destroyed.

Actually, given the lore of how liches work, having to destroy the individual parts of a lich once you've "killed" it the first time isn't that far-fetched.

Comment

• wobbly
                          Prophet
                          • May 2012

Something with spell freq 1 & lacking No_move could be amusing though. It moves but only when you're not watching it

Comment

• Pete Mack
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Head of Vecna does not in fact come from Vecna (and is fairly low level):

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Vivit
                              If I repeatedly alternate between pressing 'p' for "previous roll" and 'r' for "new roll" (to keep an old roll and compare my new rolls to it) during standard roller character generation, the game eventually crashes, sometime after only a couple rolls. No error message is shown by default, but when I traced the process with gdb, gdb tells me that the program exited with SIGABRT because of corrupted memory or a double free.

Can anybody else reproduce this? This is in 4.1.3.
                              So I could never reliably reproduce this, but I did find some very poor behaviour in the character history editor which has now been fixed in development. If anyone notices this bug reoccurring, please let me know.
                              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Kusunose
                                Rookie
                                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Nick
                                So I could never reliably reproduce this, but I did find some very poor behaviour in the character history editor which has now been fixed in development. If anyone notices this bug reoccurring, please let me know.
                                Reading the description (SIGABRT because of corrupted memory or a double free), it seems the same bug fixed in the following change.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎