X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Angband on android

I am trying to play on android. The version on the google play store is (a) old and (b) doesn't work on my Galaxy Note 5 phone: I can navigate the player birth screen with some difficulty, but can't get past stat selection (and certainmy can't modify options.) Where should I download from, and will it work?
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

I figured out why I couldn't play. It doesn't work in landscape mode. But the keyboard is soo limited: really needs an escape button and a few others. I keep dying to clumsiness.

Comment

• geoff_tewierik
      Adept
      • Mar 2009

I tried playing it years ago when it was released and struggled big time, always dying due to touching the screen in the wrong spot.

Comment

• TheQuest
        Apprentice
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Pete Mack
        I am trying to play on android. The version on the google play store is (a) old and (b) doesn't work on my Galaxy Note 5 phone: I can navigate the player birth screen with some difficulty, but can't get past stat selection (and certainmy can't modify options.) Where should I download from, and will it work?
        How about angband.live?
        As kt making http://angband.live better in time to time

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

That is worse. Much worse. There is no way to use control keys for one thing. I know Nick made a nice iPhone app for FAAngband once. I was wondering if there were such a thing for Android (including the buttons and activation menus.)

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
            That is worse. Much worse. There is no way to use control keys for one thing. I know Nick made a nice iPhone app for FAAngband once. I was wondering if there were such a thing for Android (including the buttons and activation menus.)
            Windows CE actually (and also Nintendo DS). The mouse controls in V are part of what's needed, but only part.
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Yep. Also map resize. (There's a huge amount of vertical wasted space on a widescreen phone.) Also pathfinding. Also, make shift key work better. Shift-run is painful with current keyboard, unless you are really expert with two thumbs in rogue mode.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

I have managed to get a character to DL 36, CL 24, with some difficulty.
                Issues:
                * waste of vertical space (previously mentioned)
                * Onscreen special keys don't work and are too small.
                * World map doesn't optimize for interesting things (Strong monster > lesser monster > treasure > wall > known floor > blank space. World map is *critical* on small screen.
                * keyboard is hard to use. Could use more vertical space. (Regularly hit P instead of L. Almost never hit K instead of L.)
                * character dumps are not accessible from file browser. (Save to Google drive, or expose user directory to file browser.)
                * Need a simple command to center the screen on the player (once screen is at least 40x40.) Also: scrolling shows too much of where you've been, and not enough of where you are going (and what monsters are ahead of you.) I'm seeing way too many attacks from off screen.
                * Need in-game control of screen brightness.
                * Get rid of dark blue text in lore and other descriptions. Blue on black is unreadable--especially in a small font.
                * Add list of top ~5 most dangerous monsters in LOS to control panel. (Glyph is enough.)

Will add to this post as more issues come up.
                Last edited by Pete Mack; June 30, 2018, 05:45.

Comment

• Sky
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2016

So, does a playable 4.+ vanilla exist on android? (maybe with tiles,too?)

Im on holiday pc-less and have not played in 10 days, im hallucinating from withdrawal.
                  "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

It's 3.4.1, which is close to 4.0. Tiles won't work on a small screen. They eat too much real estate. The game is on Google Play. Give it a try.

Comment

• takkaria
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sky
                      So, does a playable 4.+ vanilla exist on android? (maybe with tiles,too?)

Im on holiday pc-less and have not played in 10 days, im hallucinating from withdrawal.
                      No, it doesn't.
                      takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• fph
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2009

Why don't you try another roguelike? There are a few written expressly for Android and balanced for those tiny screens and no keyboard.
                        --
                        Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Sky
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2016

On the android angband, is there any way to zoom in?
                          "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Pete Mack
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Not really. Rotating the screen sort of does it for a snapshot at larger font size. But you can't execute any commands in landscape mode.

Comment

• luneya
                              Swordsman
                              • Aug 2015

The Android port is excellent for Android tablets. It's all but unplayable on a phone-sized screen; there's just not enough room for both the play window and a virtual keyboard. Perhaps you could solve this by pairing your phone to a physical bluetooth keyboard, but if ypu're going to do that, why not just use a device with a better display?

This fundamental issue is probably the reason why nobody has bothered updating the Android port in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎