X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Derakon
    At which point the levels would hardly be persistent, wouldn't they?
    no, what i mean is that uniques will leave a known level after N. turns, and have a new chance of spawning deeper.
    "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Oraticus
      Apprentice
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Derakon
      ... but at that point why not just have monsters roll all their drops at the time they're killed?
      I thought their drops were determined at the moment they were killed! *mind blown*

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Well it crash-proofs monster drops. I can't think of any other reason for it, at least without going to persistent levels. (Vault objects are another possibility, but since that was never implemented, there's no reason for the first.)

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Do items in monster inventories affect level feelings? That's the only real justification I can think of for them, beyond wanting to discourage savescumming of drops in a singleplayer game. And once again, the real solution here is to turn off level feelings.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

My current planned changes to fix the issues raised in this thread are:
            • Have monsters on saved levels heal over time
            • Make uniques and artifacts able to be generated on new levels (or by newly spawning on the current level) regardless of if they exist on a saved level; the previous one would just be deleted from where it was.
            I think that fixes everything - can anyone else see a problem?

The creation of monster drops on monster creation, by the way, was introduced so that dropped item origins could be precise - "dropped by a black orc in a vault", etc.
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• kandrc
              Swordsman
              • Dec 2007

The only problem that jumps out at me is the case of uniques in a vault. If you simply delete them, the danger of the vault is reduced, perhaps significantly. Then @ can go back and clean up loot without danger. Perhaps, rather than delete, replace with a non-unique monster of similar depth? Or, since uniques are supposed to be more challenging than other monsters of the same depth, perhaps add an extra 10 or so DLs.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kandrc
                The only problem that jumps out at me is the case of uniques in a vault. If you simply delete them, the danger of the vault is reduced, perhaps significantly. Then @ can go back and clean up loot without danger. Perhaps, rather than delete, replace with a non-unique monster of similar depth? Or, since uniques are supposed to be more challenging than other monsters of the same depth, perhaps add an extra 10 or so DLs.
                Yeah, I was actually planning something along those lines.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by kandrc
                  Talk about making a high-level mage a super-powered demi-god. Just leave the level and come back, uniques are gone from the vault, replaced by regular, albeit powerful monsters -- Mass Banishment - no more monsters at all - pick up loot at will....
                  “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                  ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Philip
                    Knight
                    • Jul 2009

Simple solution (though not perfect): block Banish/MBanish/*Destruct* from affecting vault tiles entirely.

Comment

• Sky
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2016

The more i think about this, the less i like persistent levels.
                      "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                        Talk about making a high-level mage a super-powered demi-god. Just leave the level and come back, uniques are gone from the vault, replaced by regular, albeit powerful monsters -- Mass Banishment - no more monsters at all - pick up loot at will....
                        The idea is to replace them not once the player leaves the level, but when they get naturally generated on a new level. If they never get generated again, they never get replaced. Also what Philip said

Comment

• kaypy
                          Swordsman
                          • May 2009

I am currently seeing occasional disconnected stairs for some reason. Unfortunately I don't notice them until a long time after the fact, if at all, which makes it rather difficult to pin down any common circumstances...

Comment

• Tibarius
                            Swordsman
                            • Jun 2011

persistent levels

I think persistent levels are against the basic idea of the game. I surely vote to remove them and not to develop into that direction. There are much areas the game could be enhanced / renewed in which are much more promising in my eyes.
                            Blondes are more fun!

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Tibarius
                              I think persistent levels are against the basic idea of the game. I surely vote to remove them and not to develop into that direction. There are much areas the game could be enhanced / renewed in which are much more promising in my eyes.
                              I'm not really planning any particular development of this option, except as people ask for it. I don't see any need to remove the option - it's a birth option, nobody needs to play it. It also opens up the design space for future variant creators, possibly including me...

Comment

• swim
                                Apprentice
                                • Mar 2021

Hey there,
                                I'm just getting into Angband and the persistent levels option seems really appealing to me. I had a read through this thread and I was just wondering if all the changes you mentioned regarding monster spawning and such have since been implemented? I looked through the change logs of versions since that feature was introduced and while they mention big fixes they don't specifically mention fixes to the persistent level feature.

Also wondering what happens when a floor is completely cleared? Will no monsters ever spawn there again, or do some still spawn randomly?

Thanks!!
                                Last edited by swim; March 8, 2021, 11:49.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎