Hobbit Ranger

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PowerDiver
    replied
    Don't be hung up on hobbit ranger. You are playing a fighter with mage spell boosts and ridiculous shooting bonuses on top. Race matters very little at the end. Stealth doesn't help at all vs monsters that start awake. You may well end up fighting M using melee.

    By move on from, I mean free the slot for something more important. Pick them up early in a trip, use them if convenient, and drop any that are left when you need the slot.

    If you have rPoison in the book, no point wearing Colluin so long as you carry that book. However, if you wear Colluin you might be able to dump the resistances book for another slot, depending upon whether Colluin recharges fast enough for your playstyle. You shouldn't engage a suitable D without double resists. In the end, roguelikes are games of slot management. It is often worth weakening yourself a little bit to get another free slot.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grotug
    replied
    The book I'm wondering if I should keep has Meteor storm (Raal's Tome of Destruction) and some other elemental AOE spells.

    I'm sort of hung up on Legendary stealth and I'm gettting rPois from Elvenkind shield, so I do not see the point of wearing Colluin since resistances don't stack. The Resistance book does have rPois. Because of my low HP having rAcid and rCold are also useful.

    I'm standing on a ?Mass Banishment but don't have room for it. Wondering if I should chuck Weaponmastery (found in the vault) or Necklace of the Dwarves as the only really important the Dwarves is providing me is CON.

    Power Diver: When you say move on from... you mean leave behind? I dropped my !CSWs since I am so rarely healing since I am so able to pick favorable fights with my legendary stealth. I bought 9 !Speed in the store but they are sort of unnecessarily redundant, especially when I get my SP to 300+ when it will be very unlikely for me to run out of mana. I also have a stack of !restore mana at home. So yeah, I think I will drop the !speeds.

    I kinda wish I was playing as a warrior. I found a MoD Holy Avenger; no extra attacks, yet if I swap my gear around I can do 542.6 vs Evil with it. I'm a hobbit, and I have more than once gone up against Morgoth with very similar damage as a warrior with MoD of <+2> extra attacks. Still, I think I am going to leave the MoD behind. Or maybe I shouldn't? Hmm... its to-dam is +21. Why am I able to get so much damage as a hobbit? That is crazy. That's not even with a Ring of Damage. It's only 4.7 blows per round; and it covers all resistances except Nexus and Chaos. That is... really crazy.

    So I guess now the question is: drop Necklace of the Dwarves and take MoD Holy Avenger?
    Last edited by Grotug; January 2, 2017, 18:36.

    Leave a comment:


  • PowerDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Grotug
    EDIT: so earlier I said I had found Gilmoire book of Power, but it was Raal's Tomes of Destruction I had found. I just found another one. Should I keep this and drop my staves of power?
    I don't know what is in each book any more, so no advice about which books to drop from me.

    I would move on from potions of speed, staves of teleportation, wands of teleport other, and maybe cure serious depending upon how overpowered cure serious remains. Alternatively you could leave whichever spellbooks behind if you are covering the key spell with a separate slot.

    I would choose a cloak to wear and toss the other. Actually, does your book resistance spell give poison resistance? If not, I would toss both and wear Colluin. Double resistance to poison is a bigger deal than single resistance to shards.

    Staves of power are, or at least used to be, great for clearing pits. I would hate to toss them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pete Mack
    replied
    D'oh. In that case, I still say: use it. Ranger is very unlikely to be using a crossbow at the endgame.

    Originally posted by PowerDiver
    Did I miss thread drift? The title is Hobbit Ranger.

    I guess I agree on not saving ammo. Adopt a "use it or lose it" mentality. There's still a long way to go.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grotug
    replied
    Originally posted by Monkey Face
    Don't you want MB4 for Haste Self?
    If I were to wear tulkas then maybe I would rely on it but I don't really like speed activators as there invariably comes a time when you can't activate and you need to. I have inventory slot issues so trying to figure out which book to drop.

    EDIT: so earlier I said I had found Gilmoire book of Power, but it was Raal's Tomes of Destruction I had found. I just found another one. Should I keep this and drop my staves of power?
    Last edited by Grotug; January 2, 2017, 16:34.

    Leave a comment:


  • Monkey Face
    replied
    Don't you want MB4 for Haste Self?

    Leave a comment:


  • Grotug
    replied
    Char Dump:
    Code:
      [Angband 4.0.5 Character Dump]
    
     Name   Samwise      Age             24          Self  RB  CB  EB   Best
     Race   Hobbit       Height        2'8"   STR:  18/92  -2  +0  +4 18/112
     Class  Ranger       Weight     4st 3lb   INT:  18/19  +2  +2 +11 18/169
     Title  Pathfinder   Turns used:          WIS:     16  +1  -2  +1     16
     HP     237/322      Game        310145   DEX:  18/90  +3  +1  +1 18/140
     SP     82/246       Standard     45912   CON:     13  +2  -1  +4     18
                         Resting        826
    
     Level                 37    Armor     [18,+108]    Saving Throw     85%
     Cur Exp           927573                           Stealth    Legendary
     Max Exp           927573    Melee       4d6,+29    Disarming        92%
     Adv Exp           980000    To-hit       52,+37    Magic Devices     96
                                 Blows      5.0/turn    Perception   1 in 19
     Gold               99568                           Searching        36%
     Burden          168.4 lb    Shoot to-dam    +17    Infravision   130 ft
     Overweight      -11.5 lb    To-hit       86,+38    Speed             15
     Max Depth    4200' (L84)    Shots        2/turn
    
     You are the only child of a Hobbit Burglar.  You are a well liked
     child.  You have hazel eyes, wavy red hair, and a dark complexion.
    
    
    
    rAcid:......+.+..?. Nexus:...........?.
    rElec:......+.+..?. Nethr:......+....?.
    rFire:+..*..+.+..?. Chaos:...........?.
    rCold:......+.+.... Disen:...........?.
    rPois:........+..?. pFear:...++....+.?.
    rLite:+.........+?. pBlnd:.....+.....?.
    rDark:......+....?. pConf:.........+.?.
    Sound:.........+.?. pStun:.........+.?.
    Shard:.......+...?. HLife:...........?+
    
    Regen:...++........ Stea.:......+++..+.
      ESP:...+......... Sear.:.............
    Invis:+..+++....... Infra:+...+.......+
    FrAct:...++.....+?. Tunn.:.............
    Feath:+..........?. Speed:+..+.......+!
    S.Dig:...+.......?. Blows:.............
    ImpHP:............. Shots:.+...........
     Fear:............. Might:.+...........
    Aggrv:...........?. Light:+...++....+..
    
    
      [Character Equipment]
    
    a) the Spear of Oromë (4d6) (+15,+15) <+4, +1> {!d!v!k@1!!}
         Found lying on the floor in a vault at 1600 feet (level 32)
         
         +4 intelligence.
         +4 infravision.
         +4 speed.
         Slays giants, animals.
         Branded with fire.
         Provides resistance to fire, light.
         Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.
         Blessed by the gods.  Feather Falling.  Grants the ability to see
         invisible things.  
         Radius 1 light.
         
         When activated, it turns rock into mud.
         Takes 17 turns to recharge at your current speed.
         Your chance of success is 96.6%
         
         Combat info:
         5.0 blows/round.
         Average damage/round: 372.5 vs. creatures not resistant to fire,
         372.5 vs. giants, 298.5 vs. animals, and 224 vs. others.
         
    b) a Light Crossbow of the Haradrim (x4) (+16,+17) <+1>
         Found lying on the floor in a vault at 4200 feet (level 84)
         
         +1 shooting speed.
         +1 shooting power.
         Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.
         
    c) a Ring of Intelligence <+6> {!d!v!k}
         Dropped by a Great crystal drake at 2650 feet (level 53)
         
         +6 intelligence.
         Sustains intelligence.
         
    d) the Ring of Fire 'Narya' (+2,+2) <+1, +5>
         Found lying on the floor of a labyrinth at 4100 feet (level 82)
         
         +1 strength.
         +1 intelligence.
         +1 wisdom.
         +1 dexterity.
         +1 constitution.
         +5 speed.
         Provides immunity to fire.
         Provides protection from fear.
         Cannot be harmed by lightning.
         Sustains strength, constitution.
         Slows your metabolism.  Speeds regeneration.  Prevents paralysis. 
         Grants telepathy.  Grants the ability to see invisible things.  
         
         When activated, it grants you protection from evil for 1d25 plus 3
         times your character level turns.
         Takes 714 to 1400 turns to recharge at your current speed.
         Your chance of success is 90.2%
         
    e) the Necklace of the Dwarves <+3, +5, +1>
         Dropped by Castamir the Usurper at 3550 feet (level 71)
         
         +3 strength.
         +3 constitution.
         +5 infravision.
         Provides protection from fear.
         Speeds regeneration.  Prevents paralysis.  Grants the ability to
         see invisible things.  
         Radius 1 light.
         
    f) a Lantern of True Sight (14263 turns) <+2>
         Bought from a store
         
         Provides protection from blindness.
         Cannot be harmed by fire.
         Grants the ability to see invisible things.  
         Radius 2 light.
         
    g) the Soft Leather Armour 'Hithlomir' [10,+20] <+3>
         Dropped by a Quasit at 3450 feet (level 69)
         
         +3 stealth.
         Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, frost, dark, nether.
         Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.
         
    h) a Cloak of Aman [1,+25] <+3>
         Found lying on the floor in a vault at 4200 feet (level 84)
         
         +3 stealth.
         Provides resistance to shards.
         Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.
         
    i) a Wicker Shield of Elvenkind [2,+13] <+2>
         Taken from a chest found at 3450 feet (level 69)
         
         +2 stealth.
         Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, frost, poison gas.
         Cannot be harmed by acid.
         
    j) an Iron Crown of Serenity [0,+14]
         Found lying on the floor at 4200 feet (level 84)
         
         Provides resistance to sound.
         Provides protection from fear, confusion, stunning.
         
    k) the Set of Leather Gloves 'Cammithrim' (+5,+5) [1,+10] <+1>
         Found lying on the floor in a vault at 3000 feet (level 60)
         
         Provides resistance to light.
         Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.
         Sustains constitution.
         Prevents paralysis.  
         Radius 1 light.
         
         When activated, it fires a magic missile with damage 3d4.
         Takes 7 turns to recharge at your current speed.
         Your chance of success is 97.0%
         
    l) a Pair of Iron Shod Boots [4,+17] <+3, +6> {splendid}
         Found lying on the floor in a vault at 4200 feet (level 84)
         
         You do not know the full extent of this item's powers.
         +3 stealth.
         +6 speed.
         
    
    
    
    
      [Character Inventory]
    
    a) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Magic for Beginners] {@1}
    b) 3 Books of Magic Spells [Incantations and Illusions] {@2}
    c) 2 Books of Magic Spells [Sorcery and Evocations] {@3}
    d) a Book of Magic Spells [Resistances of Scarabtarices] {@4}
         Cannot be harmed by fire.
         
    e) a Book of Magic Spells [Mordenkainen's Escapes] {@5}
         Cannot be harmed by fire.
         
    f) a Book of Magic Spells [Tenser's Transformations]
         Cannot be harmed by fire.
         
    g) 23 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
    h) 15 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
    i) a Potion of Healing
    j) 3 Potions of *Healing*
         It can be thrown at creatures with damaging effect.
         
    k) 9 Potions of Speed
    l) 30 Scrolls of Phase Door
    m) 5 Scrolls of Teleportation {!*}
    n) a Scroll of Holy Prayer
    o) a Rod of Teleport Other
    p) 2 Wands of Teleport Other (16 charges)
    q) 2 Staves of Power (7 charges) {!u}
    r) 2 Staves of Teleportation (9 charges) {!u}
    s) an Amulet of Trickery <+3, +1, +5>
         Dropped by Itangast the Fire Drake at 4100 feet (level 82)
         
         +3 dexterity.
         +1 stealth.
         +5 searching skill.
         +5 infravision.
         +3 speed.
         Provides resistance to poison gas, nexus.
         Sustains dexterity.
         
    t) an Elven Cloak [6,+7] <+1>
         Dropped by Beorn, the Shape-Changer at 2650 feet (level 53)
         
         +1 stealth.
         +1 speed.
         
    
    
    
    
      [Character Quiver]
    
    0) 17 Bolts (1d5) (+6,+6)
         Combat info:
         Hits targets up to 140 feet away.
         Average damage/round: 214.2.
         25% chance of breaking upon contact.
         
    1) 8 Bolts of Frost (1d5) (+5,+5)
         Branded with cold.
         
         Combat info:
         Hits targets up to 140 feet away.
         Average damage/round: 360.4 vs. creatures not resistant to cold,
         and 206 vs. others.
         25% chance of breaking upon contact.
         
    2) 19 Bolts of Flame (1d5) (+5,+5)
         Branded with fire.
         
         Combat info:
         Hits targets up to 140 feet away.
         Average damage/round: 360.4 vs. creatures not resistant to fire,
         and 206 vs. others.
         25% chance of breaking upon contact.
         
    3) 11 Bolts of Flame (1d5) (+6,+6)
         Branded with fire.
         
         Combat info:
         Hits targets up to 140 feet away.
         Average damage/round: 374.8 vs. creatures not resistant to fire,
         and 214.2 vs. others.
         25% chance of breaking upon contact.
         
    4) 6 Bolts of Slay Animal (1d5) (+9,+6)
         Slays animals.
         
         Combat info:
         Hits targets up to 140 feet away.
         Average damage/round: 324.4 vs. animals, and 216.2 vs. others.
         25% chance of breaking upon contact.
         
    5) 6 Bolts of Frost (1d5) (+12,+9)
         Branded with cold.
         
         Combat info:
         Hits targets up to 140 feet away.
         Average damage/round: 422.2 vs. creatures not resistant to cold,
         and 241.2 vs. others.
         25% chance of breaking upon contact.
         
    6) 18 Bolts of Wounding (1d5) (+10,+21)
         Combat info:
         Hits targets up to 140 feet away.
         Average damage/round: 341.
         25% chance of breaking upon contact.
         
    7) 3 Bolts of Wounding (1d5) (+18,+22)
         Combat info:
         Hits targets up to 140 feet away.
         Average damage/round: 349.4.
         25% chance of breaking upon contact.
         
    8) 17 Seeker Bolts of Wounding (4d5) (+16,+19)
         Combat info:
         Hits targets up to 140 feet away.
         Average damage/round: 399.4.
         25% chance of breaking upon contact.
         
    9) 15 Seeker Bolts of Slay Evil (5d5) (+11,+12)
         Slays evil creatures.
         
         Combat info:
         Hits targets up to 140 feet away.
         Average damage/round: 549 vs. evil creatures, and 366 vs. others.
         25% chance of breaking upon contact.
         
    
    
      [Home Inventory]
    
    a) a Book of Magic Spells [Tenser's Transformations]
         Cannot be harmed by fire.
         
    b) 14 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds
    c) 26 Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
    d) 4 Potions of *Healing*
         It can be thrown at creatures with damaging effect.
         
    e) a Potion of Life
         It can be thrown at creatures with damaging effect.
         
    f) 5 Potions of Restore Mana
    g) 3 Scrolls of Teleportation {!*}
    h) a Scroll of Mass Banishment
    i) 3 Scrolls of Rune of Protection
    j) a Scroll of *Destruction*
    k) a Rod of Detection
         Cannot be harmed by lightning.
         
    l) a Ring of Intelligence <+6>
         Found lying on the floor of a special room at 4050 feet (level 81)
         
         +6 intelligence.
         Sustains intelligence.
         
    m) a Ring of Dexterity <+5>
         Found lying on the floor in a vault at 3000 feet (level 60)
         
         +5 dexterity.
         Sustains dexterity.
         
    n) a Ring of Constitution <+5> {!d!v!k}
         Bought from a store
         
         +5 constitution.
         Sustains constitution.
         
    o) a Ring of Damage (+0,+9) {@2!d!v!k}
         Found lying on the floor at 2350 feet (level 47)
         
    p) an Amulet of ESP <+8>
         Found lying on the floor of a labyrinth at 4100 feet (level 82)
         
         +8 searching skill.
         Grants telepathy.  
         
    q) an Amulet of Weaponmastery (+3,+4) <+2>
         Found lying on the floor in a vault at 3500 feet (level 70)
         
         +2 strength.
         Provides resistance to disenchantment.
         Provides protection from fear.
         Sustains strength, constitution.
         Prevents paralysis.  
         
    r) Chaos Dragon Scale Mail (Dwarven) (-2) [40,+39] <+1, +2, +3>
         Found lying on the floor of a labyrinth at 4100 feet (level 82)
         
         +1 strength.
         +2 constitution.
         +3 infravision.
         Provides resistance to chaos, disenchantment.
         Prevents paralysis.  
         
    s) the Chain Mail of Arvedui (-2) [40,+15] <+2>
         Found lying on the floor of a cavern at 2200 feet (level 44)
         
         +2 strength.
         Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, frost, shards,
         nexus.
         Cannot be harmed by acid.
         
    t) the Cloak 'Colluin' [1,+15]
         Found lying on the floor of a cavern at 3900 feet (level 78)
         
         Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, frost, poison gas.
         Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.
         
         When activated, it grants temporary resistance to acid,
         electricity, fire, cold and poison for 1d20+20 turns.
         Takes 388 turns to recharge at your current speed.
         Your chance of success is 97.3%
         
    u) the Trident of Wrath (3d10) (+16,+18) <+2>
         Dropped by a Dark elven druid at 2450 feet (level 49)
         
         +2 strength.
         +2 dexterity.
         Slays undead (powerfully), evil creatures.
         Branded with poison.
         Provides resistance to light, dark.
         Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.
         Blessed by the gods.  Grants the ability to see invisible things. 
         
         
         Combat info:
         5.0 blows/round.
         Average damage/round: 445 vs. creatures not resistant to poison,
         623 vs. undead, 356 vs. evil creatures, and 267 vs. others.
         
    v) a Long Bow of Extra Might (x4) (+12,+8) <+1>
         Found lying on the floor in a pit at 1400 feet (level 28)
         
         +1 shooting power.
         
    w) 22 Arrows of Slay Demon (1d4) (+8,+9)
         Slays demons.
         
    x) 25 Seeker Arrows of Lightning (4d4) {splendid}
         You do not know the full extent of this item's powers.
         Branded with lightning.
         
    
    
    [Player history]
          Turn   Depth  Note
             0      0'  Began the quest to destroy Morgoth.
           160      0'  Killed Farmer Maggot
           300    100'  Killed Grip, Farmer Maggot's dog
           300    100'  Reached level 2
           300    100'  Reached level 3
           345    100'  Reached level 4
           535    150'  Reached level 5
          1134    200'  Reached level 6
          1627    200'  Reached level 7
          2354    250'  Reached level 8
          3546    400'  Reached level 9
          3891    400'  Reached level 10
          4387    450'  Reached level 11
          5130    600'  Killed Fang, Farmer Maggot's dog
          5576    650'  Reached level 12
          5877    650'  Killed Brodda, the Easterling
          6061    650'  Reached level 13
          6604    650'  Reached level 14
          7727    650'  Reached level 15
          7772    650'  Reached level 16
          7816    650'  Reached level 17
          7855    650'  Reached level 18
          7978    650'  Reached level 19
          8890    900'  Reached level 20
          9857   1000'  Reached level 21
         10838   1100'  Killed Orfax, Son of Boldor
         10892   1100'  Killed Boldor, King of the Yeeks
         10897   1100'  Found the Long Sword 'Elvagil' (LOST)
         11677   1350'  Killed Nár, the Dwarf
         11797   1350'  Reached level 22
         12164   1400'  Reached level 23
         13637   1450'  Reached level 24
         14745   1600'  Reached level 25
         14745   1600'  Reached level 26
         14907   1600'  Reached level 27
         15600   1600'  Found the Broad Axe 'Barukkheled' (LOST)
         15631   1600'  Found the Spear of Oromë
         16187   1600'  Killed Ibun, Son of Mîm
         16511   1600'  Killed Wormtongue, Agent of Saruman
         17659   1600'  Reached level 28
         17749   1600'  Killed Draebor, the Imp
         17752   1600'  Found the Phial of Galadriel (LOST)
         18900   1900'  Killed Sangahyando of Umbar
         18915   1900'  Killed Angamaitë of Umbar
         18932   1900'  Found the Flail 'Totila' (LOST)
         19300   2200'  Found the Chain Mail of Arvedui
         19810   2200'  Reached level 29
         22356   2450'  Found the Trident of Wrath
         22836   2450'  Reached level 30
         23414   2600'  Killed Bullroarer the Hobbit
         24358   2550'  Reached level 31
         25822   2650'  Killed Gorbag, the Orc Captain
         25887   2650'  Killed Beorn, the Shape-Changer
         25900   2650'  Found the Executioner's Sword 'Crisdurian' (LOST)
         26829   2650'  Reached level 32
         28906   2900'  Reached level 33
         29706   2900'  Killed Uvatha the Horseman
         29806   2900'  Killed Golfimbul, the Hill Orc Chief
         30065   2900'  Killed Bert the Stone Troll
         30081   2900'  Killed Bill the Stone Troll
         30101   2900'  Killed Grishnákh, the Hill Orc
         30158   2900'  Killed Tom the Stone Troll
         31963   3000'  Killed Rogrog the Black Troll
         32008   3000'  Found the Set of Leather Gloves 'Cammithrim'
         32202   3000'  Killed Lorgan, Chief of the Easterlings
         32220   3000'  Killed Lokkak, the Ogre Chieftain
         32227   3000'  Found the Amulet of Carlammas (LOST)
         32619   3250'  Reached level 34
         33829   3350'  Killed Uldor the Accursed
         35152   3450'  Killed Akhorahil the Blind
         35152   3450'  Reached level 35
         35619   3450'  Found the Soft Leather Armour 'Hithlomir'
         35836   3450'  Killed The Cat Lord
         36745   3500'  Found the Leather Scale Mail 'Thalkettoth' (LOST)
         36772   3500'  Killed The Queen Ant
         37075   3500'  Killed Khîm, Son of Mîm
         38531   3500'  Killed Ulfast, Son of Ulfang
         38531   3500'  Killed Mughash the Kobold Lord
         38537   3500'  Found the Rapier 'Careth Asdriag' (LOST)
         38768   3500'  Reached level 36
         39667   3550'  Killed Harowen the Black Hand
         39826   3550'  Killed Castamir the Usurper
         39829   3550'  Found the Necklace of the Dwarves
         41256   3900'  Found the Cloak 'Colluin'
         41771   4000'  Killed Bolg, Son of Azog
         42200   4050'  Killed Lagduf, the Snaga
         43302   4100'  Killed Gorlim, Betrayer of Barahir
         43644   4100'  Reached level 37
         43684   4100'  Found the Ring of Fire 'Narya'
         44418   4100'  Killed Itangast the Fire Drake
         44431   4100'  Found the Short Bow of Amrod
         44465   4100'  Found the Lucerne Hammer 'Turmil' (LOST)
         44953   4200'  Killed Smaug the Golden
         45011   4200'  Killed Ulwarth, Son of Ulfang
         45412   4200'  Killed Shagrat, the Orc Captain
    
    
      [Options]
    
      [User interface]
    
    Use the roguelike command keyset             : no  (rogue_like_commands)
    Use sound                                    : yes (use_sound)
    Show damage player deals to monsters         : no  (show_damage)
    Use old target by default                    : no  (use_old_target)
    Always pickup items                          : no  (pickup_always)
    Always pickup items matching inventory       : yes (pickup_inven)
    Show flavors in object descriptions          : no  (show_flavors)
    Highlight target with cursor                 : yes (show_target)
    Disturb whenever viewable monster moves      : yes (disturb_near)
    Show walls as solid blocks                   : no  (solid_walls)
    Show walls with shaded background            : no  (hybrid_walls)
    Color: Illuminate torchlight in yellow       : no  (view_yellow_light)
    Color: Shimmer multi-colored things          : no  (animate_flicker)
    Center map continuously                      : yes (center_player)
    Color: Show unique monsters in purple        : no  (purple_uniques)
    Automatically clear '-more-' prompts         : no  (auto_more)
    Color: Player color indicates % hit points   : yes (hp_changes_color)
    Allow mouse clicks to move the player        : no  (mouse_movement)
    Notify on object recharge                    : no  (notify_recharge)
    
      [Birth]
    
    Randomise the artifacts (except a very few)  : no  (birth_randarts)
    Word of Recall has no effect                 : no  (birth_no_recall)
    Restrict creation of artifacts               : no  (birth_no_artifacts)
    Don't stack objects on the floor             : no  (birth_no_stacking)
    Lose artifacts when leaving level            : no  (birth_no_preserve)
    Don't generate connected stairs              : no  (birth_no_stairs)
    Don't show level feelings                    : no  (birth_no_feelings)
    Increase gold drops but disable selling      : yes (birth_no_selling)
    Use previous set of randarts                 : yes (birth_keep_randarts)
    Start with a kit of useful gear              : yes (birth_start_kit)
    Monsters learn from their mistakes           : no  (birth_ai_learn)
    Force player descent                         : no  (birth_force_descend)
    Holy smokes: Just found seeker arrows of Holy Might (+23). I guess I will go back and grab Amrod (lying nearby in the vault).

    Does anyone know the limitations of elemental brand? I assume I cannot brand my arrows of holy might? What about my seeker bolts of wounding? I tried it on my seeker bolts and it worked.

    Just found the ring of Tulkas but I do not think I will replace my ring of INT with it. But maybe... ? Hmm.. I could drop MB4 but I'd lose treasure detection which is very very important to my playstyle. I have a rod of detection at home, but I'm trying to cover detection with my spell books so not carrying the rod. Maybe I am getting to a stage in the game where I can rely less on spell books and more on wands/rods?
    Last edited by Grotug; January 2, 2017, 13:47.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grotug
    replied
    I picked hobbit ranger because

    1) hLife
    2) best ranged attack combo
    3) very good stealth combo

    It is also one of the worst CON combos. I will do a Char dump soon.

    Dump will have to wait as my computer is charging and the outlets in my room stopped working.

    I found my first greater vault and having been through the first row on bottom of vault my stealth is now legendary (Aman +3 stealth and boots of elvenkind +3 stealth). Unfortunately some heavy hitters have already woken, such as Huan but these compartments are set up such that I have been TOing from favorable knight' move. Also picked up crown of serenity for first pConf so I can ditch the _teleportations and add MB2. I'm pretty much going to be invincible if I can ever get my con above 700. Side note: if I wear boots of speed <+10> that I also found and an elven cloak I was wearing my base speed will be +20, but -6 stealth so I think Leg stealth and +15 speed is preferable now (Aman also gives me rShards).
    Last edited by Grotug; January 2, 2017, 13:48.

    Leave a comment:


  • PowerDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete Mack
    HT mage has exceedingly terrible archery. Don't save ammo for high-AC targets.
    Did I miss thread drift? The title is Hobbit Ranger.

    I guess I agree on not saving ammo. Adopt a "use it or lose it" mentality. There's still a long way to go.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pete Mack
    replied
    HT mage has exceedingly terrible archery. Don't save ammo for high-AC targets. Just kill undead unique. Note that top wringwraiths are some of the few high value targets you can actually kill with low HP. Same for many non-unique undead. They are a pain, but they generally do less than 300HP damage with spell effects, tho' there are a few exceptions.
    Note: with less than 18/200 INT you are at particular danger with low HP. The usual way to get by is zero-fail TO. With 1% fail and less than 400 HP, a failure will eventually kill you. Focus on CON and INT alone. Even speed takes second place for you.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grotug
    replied
    Cool, thanks! So now the question is do I wear Dwarven Chaos or Hithlomir? The Dwarven gives +2 CON and my device skill increases the damage by 96%! I just found Narya and swapped out the CON<+5> ring for it. So I could use the boost but I dunno, I think stealth is more important. TOing the instakiller while he's asleep is a pretty safe move.

    So I've been casually using seeker bolts of slay evil (+12) and just bought a haradrim from the store (+14). The bolts now do 506.6 against Morgoth and his ilk. Should I save the bolts for the final fight or figure I'll find better ones? I think I'll hold onto them; I'm gonna be able to take on Saruman soon.
    Last edited by Grotug; January 1, 2017, 23:29.

    Leave a comment:


  • Derakon
    replied
    Originally posted by Grotug
    I have a question: I have Superb stealth; and I don a piece of armor that increases my stealth by +3. I still have superb stealth. Do the monsters know the difference or do I only get the benefit when it goes to the next level (heroic)?
    I did the math on this a few years ago; if I recall correctly, roughly every +3 to stealth halves the chance a monster wakes up on any given turn.

    The textual descriptions on the character sheet don't correspond to any breakpoints so far as I'm aware. They just assign a label to each range of values.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grotug
    replied
    But the excessive SP is great for casting all the time for everything. I am about to buy a ring of CON <+5> though, which I may swap out. Having that much SP saves on resources, though. Just picked up ?Transformations; not sure if it's worth carrying around for the greater recharging and buffs, though. Prolly save it in my home for later.

    I am gaining XP very slowly. I'm on DL81 now and only CL36. There are very few high XP targets I can go after with 275HP. I suppose I could swap out an INT ring now, but means less incessant detecting monsters and more difficulty creating stairs.

    I have a question: I have Superb stealth; and I don a piece of armor that increases my stealth by +3. I still have superb stealth. Do the monsters know the difference or do I only get the benefit when it goes to the next level (heroic)?

    Should I wear a ring of CON <+5> or a ring of speed <+7>? My base speed before wearing the ring is +10. If I wear the CON ring I go from 275 to 329. Seems it might be the way to go.

    OMG Tensers lets me brand my ammunition!!!! My word that is huge. I was gonna say, for the top book it didn't seem that great cause I thought the branding was for melee weapons only, but ... ammo branding sure is great!

    Wow, not only does it brand the ammo it enchants it! This is why powerdiving is so much fun; cause the stuff you find makes a real difference. When I used to play Paladin at a normal non diving pace, by the time I found the last book it basically had no impact.

    Wow, I thought the (+4, +4) frost was good but the second batch got (+6, +6)! Hobbit Ranger is fun.

    Hmm, maybe speed is more important than CON. As long as I can hockey stick my opponents with the TO, I should be good.
    Last edited by Grotug; January 1, 2017, 22:27.

    Leave a comment:


  • PowerDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Grotug
    Wow, found another ring of INT <+6> bringing my INT to 190 but it didn't increase my mana pool at all. How come? SP is still at 273.
    The rules for stats are inconsistent and slightly strange. If you care, look in src/tables.c and you should be able to figure out which effects max out when. I think they range anywhere from 18/180 to 18/220 for max benefit depending on the table.

    My guess [can't be sure] is that you shouldn't be worrying about SP so much. The important thing is failure rate on whichever spells you truly depend upon. If you can get away with one int ring for those minimum failure rates, you'd probably be better off with a different ring as opposed to more SP.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pete Mack
    replied
    MB2 is useful in two cases when deep:

    1. No ESP and very weak, you need to illuminate evert hallway.
    2. ESP and near endgame strong with Clairvoyance device, you need XP fast, so teleport around the dungeon checking for high value targets.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
☕