X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t4nk
    Swordsman
    • May 2016

Map scroll distance

If you're playing without "center_player" option, viewport (the map area) scrolls when @ is within 3 grids from the edge of it.
    Isn't it way too small? I find that I have to constantly press '@' (center map command) when playing.
    I think 1/4th of the viewport would be a better default. For example, with 80x24 term, map would scroll horizontally when @ is within 20 steps from the edge, and 6 vertically. If some kind of symmetry is desired, the minimum of these numbers could be taken (6, in this case).
    Sangband also has this (scroll distance) as an option, which is an ok idea. There are already too many damned options, though... Besides, some kind of default is still necessary. I think 3 tiles is a pretty bad default.
    Opinions?
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

Why would you play without the "center constantly" option ?

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Because it isn't quick and makes you feel sick.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
        Veteran
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
        Because it isn't quick and makes you feel sick.
        Huh, TIL. Personally, I can't play without it. I find it hugely disorientating when the whole screen moves in one big 'jump'.

(That and the whole 'death from out of LoS thing'.)

Comment

• Bogatyr
          Knight
          • Feb 2014

I never use centering, it traditionally has been too slow. I just use the "W" (roguelike) window scrolling command now without even thinking about it.

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

I just play in a gigantic window so I can see practically the entire dungeon at once, and thus hardly ever have to scroll.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

FAangband also has adjustable scrolling distance; I think it would go fine in the second group of options (set hitpoint warning, etc).
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• MattB
                Veteran
                • Mar 2013

I guess it's what you're used to. I can't stand using auto-centre, and don't have a problem playing without it.

Comment

• Mudd
                  Adept
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Derakon
                  I just play in a gigantic window so I can see practically the entire dungeon at once, and thus hardly ever have to scroll.
                  What's the res on your screen?

Lots of scrolling with 1900x1200....gotta upgrade someday!

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Mudd
                    What's the res on your screen?

Lots of scrolling with 1900x1200....gotta upgrade someday!
                    1900x1200, same as you. Are you using tiles or a very large font size? I also put some of the secondary terminals on a second display. I can view almost the entire dungeon at once, needing to scroll slightly in each direction to encompass everything. It's no big deal to use the 'L'ook command for that if I'm feeling nervous.

Comment

• Scraper
                      Apprentice
                      • Mar 2011

I use the "L"ook command to re-centre the screen. It's not a huge hassle, but it is definitely a necessary part of playing the game for me since I have been breathed on enough times by off screen baddies.

Comment

• Mudd
                        Adept
                        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Derakon
                        1900x1200, same as you. Are you using tiles or a very large font size? I also put some of the secondary terminals on a second display. I can view almost the entire dungeon at once, needing to scroll slightly in each direction to encompass everything. It's no big deal to use the 'L'ook command for that if I'm feeling nervous.
                        Shockbolts tiles. This is the first set of tiles I've ever liked in a RL. Always preferred ASCII until now, but these are really nice!

I didn't think the tiles were any bigger than straight ASCII....doesn't seem like it anyway.

We seem to have a similar setup...all secondary terminals on 2nd screen and main window is pretty much fullscreen on a 28" 1900x1200 monitor.
                        I use L often to look around. Didn't care for the auto centering screen at all. I like the map to stay still or I get disoriented<grin>.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎