X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

Regarding Temporary Resist indicators

An argument for Temporary Resist indicators to also be shown when @ has immunity.

When @ acquires a standard resistance, there is no indicator on the screen, and that seems fine. Players should be trying to cover the standard resistances in the ordinary course. When @ has a temporary resist, an indicator is shown on the screen. This also seems reasonable and helpful as player may need to know a resist is covered (especially double resisted) when deciding to go into certain fights. In my opinion, immunity should also cause the temporary resist indicator to be shown. It seems to me that (1) immunity is inclusive of the temporary resist, and (2) I forget that the resist is covered and waste time, spells or consumables to double resist when it is absolutely unnecessary.
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

I see your point, but my first reaction is that would be more confusing. That area is for temporary conditions of all types, and is probably most important for things like confusion and stunning - including permanent equipment properties would muddy the waters IMHO.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nomad
      Knight
      • Sep 2010

I still vote for showing your base four resistance coverage in the sidebar under your stats, with an indicator something like this:

Code:
      [BC=black]             
       rAcid  [COLOR="#DD0000"]None[/COLOR] 
       rElec  [COLOR="#FFFF00"]x1/3[/COLOR] 
       rFire  [COLOR="#00FF00"]x1/9[/COLOR] 
       rCold  [COLOR="#008040"]****[/COLOR] 
                   [/BC]

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
        Veteran
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nick
        I see your point, but my first reaction is that would be more confusing. That area is for temporary conditions of all types, and is probably most important for things like confusion and stunning - including permanent equipment properties would muddy the waters IMHO.
        With Immuity Fire, for example, isn't the temporary rFire always covered and thus the indicator should always be on?
        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• debo
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
          With Immuity Fire, for example, isn't the temporary rFire always covered and thus the indicator should always be on?
          IMO that's a pretty unintuitive leap. If I see a status light i expect it means "watch this thing because it's going to go away soon."
          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

This is reasonable. I'd like to see sustained stats on the main screen done in dark green, if they are not drained.

Originally posted by Nomad
            I still vote for showing your base four resistance coverage in the sidebar under your stats, with an indicator something like this:

Code:
            [BC=black]             
             rAcid  [COLOR="#DD0000"]None[/COLOR] 
             rElec  [COLOR="#FFFF00"]x1/3[/COLOR] 
             rFire  [COLOR="#00FF00"]x1/9[/COLOR] 
             rCold  [COLOR="#008040"]****[/COLOR] 
                         [/BC]

Comment

• AnonymousHero
              Veteran
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Nick
              Show "Fire" (etc.) for double-res and "FIRE" for immunity? (Or "*Fire*", or "*FIRE*", or...)

Comment

• Tibarius
                Swordsman
                • Jun 2011

resistance information

I do think the current color codes suggests the player to make false assumptions. The main question is - can it kill me with one attack (breath).
                So even if i have resistance fire from equipment and face a Great Wyrm of Hell (which can breath for 1600) this could kill me if i have less than 533 HPs. Currently the monster recal information would show the fire breath in yellow color (because i got one resistance), but actually it should show read - because it can one hit kill @. Yellow color if it cannot one-hit kill you. Green color if you are immune or take only minor damage like <=10% of current(!) HPs.

That's my thoughts on color codes and danger-levels.

For me the current system with temporary and permanent resistance show in the character screen is ok. What is very confusing is - that the amount of damage taken IF you resist varies very much from element to element. I think it would make sense to make that equal for all elements (or is there a reason the resistance works differently on the available elements?).
                Blondes are more fun!

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

The higher elements have lower damage because it is much harder to cover them all with a resist, and because the basic 5 are so much more common. You pretty much have to assume that any breather can do 400-550 damage unresisted; single resist for cold, fire, or elec mean 533 damage; for acid (with all armor slots covered) and poison, it means 266. Further, resistance for the higher elements is less effective for the same reason: the base damage is lower.

Rule of thumb: the higher the damage, the easier a resistance is to get.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Tibarius
                    What is very confusing is - that the amount of damage taken IF you resist varies very much from element to element. I think it would make sense to make that equal for all elements (or is there a reason the resistance works differently on the available elements?).
                    Yes, the high resist system should at least be simplified.
                    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Cold_Heart
                      Adept
                      • Mar 2012

I support the sidebar resistance display BUT it should be configurable which specific set is displayed, not a hardcoded set.

Comment

• Nomad
                        Knight
                        • Sep 2010

I feel like if you're going to have resistances in the sidebar it makes sense to restrict it to the base four because there's a limited amount of sidebar space (only about 6 unused lines at minimum window size) and they're the ones that have multiple possible states including double resist and immunity instead of just a binary yes/no.

It would probably be good to have a colour-coded resistance list as a possible subwindow option, though - maybe something like this?

Code:
                        [BC=black][COLOR=darkgray]                         
                         [COLOR="#00FF00"]rAcid rElec [COLOR="#009050"]rFire[/COLOR] rCold[/COLOR] 

rPois rLite rDark Sound 

Shard [COLOR="#00FF00"]Nexus[/COLOR] Chaos Disen 

pFear pBlnd pConf pStun 

[COLOR="#00FF00"]FrAct Invis[/COLOR] Regen S.Dig 
                                                 [/COLOR][/BC]
                        Last edited by Nomad; July 10, 2016, 13:09.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

If you really want to go there, you will want to be able to show 3 levels of resistance for the base 4 (or 5), and you really only need to show resistances, not flags. And not so verbose. Use colors for the string:
                          Code:
                          [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Ac[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]El[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]CoFi[/COLOR][COLOR="Lime"]Po[/COLOR][COLOR="lime"]Li[/COLOR]DaSo[COLOR="lime"]ShNx[/COLOR]ChDi

Comment

• Derakon
                            Prophet
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                            If you really want to go there, you will want to be able to show 3 levels of resistance for the base 4 (or 5), and you really only need to show resistances, not flags. And not so verbose. Use colors for the string:
                            Code:
                            [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Ac[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]El[/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"]CoFi[/COLOR][COLOR="Lime"]Po[/COLOR][COLOR="lime"]Li[/COLOR]DaSo[COLOR="lime"]ShNx[/COLOR]ChDi
                            That's basically what I did in Pyrel; every element had a two-letter short name that was displayed in the status bar.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                              Knight
                              • Dec 2008

Since this is coming up again, any chance of having resistance displays like this on a per-item basis as well? What I'd love to see in the status or character detail screen is a table with the cumulative resistance across horizontally, and below that are rows for each equipped item and their individual contribution to the overall resistance of the character. What would be different from the current system:

Rather than just having abcdef... along the bottom of a table to indicate inventory slot as it is now, the first column in the table would have the slot and name of the item.

Ability to use up/down arrows to select a given inventory slot, then left/right arrow to simulate a switch in equipment to another item in inventory/home and see how resistance coverage would change.

(possibly) be able to actually change what is wielded from this screen, maybe with a confirm if any enemies in view if this takes energy.

I feel like this would make the mid/late game much less of a slog, rather than having to spend so much time equipping and unequipping things to figure out better combinations of gear.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎